Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AWS enters on LET market
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AWS enters on LET market

"Each t2.nano instance has 512 MiB of memory and 1 vCPU, and can run 32 or 64 bit operating systems and applications."

Starting from $4.75/m - more details about pricing and configuration:
https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/ec2-update-t2-nano-instances-now-available/

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

As typical with AWS, you pay for every tiny step, and if you do something wrong, you could be overcharged into hundreds of dollars. Your post doesn't mention you also need to pay for storage and bandwidth and even DNS queries separately (a perfect reason to not use their crappy DNS ever). From what I could see from the table the bandwidth is $0.045 per GB, or $45 for 1TB transfer, which is quite typical LEB style b/w allocation even on the cheap plans. And that's for US bandwidth, other regions such as Asia will be much more expensive at AWS.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

Price/performance for their micro instances was really horrible a few years ago. Unixbench less than 100. I wonder what the performance will be like on these nano instances (less than 10 unixbench?)

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • Expensive

• marianmarian Member
    edited December 2015

@rm_ you are right about the bandwidth and storage, but for DNS you can use any other provider.

PS: it was just a news - I have no affiliation with AWS.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@rm_ said:
    As typical with AWS, you pay for every tiny step, and if you do something wrong, you could be overcharged into hundreds of dollars. Your post doesn't mention you also need to pay for storage and bandwidth and even DNS queries separately (a perfect reason to not use their crappy DNS ever). From what I could see from the table the bandwidth is $0.045 per GB, or $45 for 1TB transfer, which is quite typical LEB style b/w allocation even on the cheap plans. And that's for US bandwidth, other regions such as Asia will be much more expensive at AWS.

I always wanted to give them a solid try but I'm scared to death of "input credit card, roll the dice, it costs whatever we bill you."

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

Yeah, lol. It's still nice for non-public facing projects while you're on their credit.

I also can't imagine what bills sites like reddit, netflix, pinterest and wish are getting.

jarland said: "input credit card, roll the dice, it costs whatever we bill you."

• @jarland funny thats exactly why a lot of the people I know use them have been moving away.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @jarland said:
    I always wanted to give them a solid try but I'm scared to death of "input credit card, roll the dice, it costs whatever we bill you."

^^ This, X 100000000

• GulfGulf Member
    edited December 2015

Btw performance is really good

http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/4550906

dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/test.data bs=1k count=300k

314572800 bytes (315 MB) copied, 3.66111 s, 85.9 MB/s

Udp.
    Network is crap.

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • @jarland said:

Reminds me of a game..

Ah yes, Russian Roulette.

• Sweet, been waiting for this. Have not found better options than ec2 for South America or Australia but micro was a bit more than I wanted to spend. Nano should work great for me.

• I had VMs at them for several years. But glitches, especially in billing, are annoying - so I terminate VMs at AWS by the end of this year.

Pity. When it was good, it was fun.

• Garbage.

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited December 2015

rm_ said: (a perfect reason to not use their crappy DNS ever)

Their DNS service isn't that bad to be honest. Having a lot less issues than with Rage4.

rm_ said: $0.045 per GB, or $45 for 1TB transfer, which is quite typical LEB style b/w allocation even on the cheap plans

That's apples and oranges. With AWS you pay for what you actually use, with a typical LET server you pay for what you likely won't use. The business model is different and the target market is different.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • They're really good at marketing though, otherwise they wouldn't be doing all that sales volume both at amazon and aws.

elwebmaster said: Garbage.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @mpkossen said:
    Their DNS service isn't that bad to be honest. Having a lot less issues than with Rage4.

The classic comeback is always that Amazon itself uses Dyn for their DNS.

Thanked by 3GM2015 lazyt Clouvider
  • jarland said: I always wanted to give them a solid try but I'm scared to death of "input credit card, roll the dice, it costs whatever we bill you."

Prepaid card?

Thanked by 1jar

@linuxthefish said:
    Prepaid card?

Not a half bad idea ;)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @OnApp_Terry said:
    The classic comeback is always that Amazon itself uses Dyn for their DNS.

Are they?

Not that it matters to me TBH. I'm just paying considerably less for a better service than I had at Rage4.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2015

mpkossen said: That's apples and oranges. With AWS you pay for what you actually use, with a typical LET server you pay for what you likely won't use. The business model is different

We have enough things in life where we "pay for what we actually use", including electricity, gas, in most cases water, etc. So I'm more than happy to not have to add one more thing to this list of stuff to keep track and limit usage of, and will happily "overpay for bandwidth I didn't use" on some $3 LEB, rather than risk to run into "paying for what I actually used" at $45/month with this wonderful "business model" at AWS.

Thanked by 2GM2015 elwebmaster
  • @jarland said: I always wanted to give them a solid try but I'm scared to death of "input credit >card, roll the dice, it costs whatever we bill you."
    @linuxthefish said:
    Prepaid card?

I have services from LET providers (Ramnode, Mycustomhosting), Digital Ocean and Amazon EC2 which all cater to some similar and yet also different markets.

I utilize EC2 a lot as it allows me to spin up extra and different configured/sized instances quite easily and only pay as long as you only need the instance. For example, in a typical week, I may spin up a 16 GB RAM Linux test image several different times for a total of 25 hours per month and only pay $6.30 USD.

I don't readily see any other provider here on LET that can offer the same options, flexibility, ease of use and billing by the hour as Amazon EC2 does. The only reliable provider in general that even remotely comes close in price (cheaper) /vs features (less) is DO.

Amazon also allows alerts to be set for spending thresholds and budgets. I would like though to see them implement true bandwidth controls etc and this has been requested for years by many users.

• @GM2015 said:
    I also can't imagine what bills sites like reddit, netflix, pinterest and wish are getting.

Probably less than spinning up their own hardware and infrastructure and hiring people to maintain it all.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited December 2015

GM2015 said: I also can't imagine what bills sites like reddit, netflix, pinterest and wish are getting.

Oh yea, a lot.

Microlinux said: Probably less than spinning up their own hardware and infrastructure and hiring people to maintain it all.

Not really, but it's nice for corp to have someone to scream at at AWS, always works good.

Thanked by 1GM2015
    edited December 2015

Weblogics said: I don't readily see any other provider here on LET that can offer the same options, flexibility, ease of use and billing by the hour as Amazon EC2 does.

Lunanode :)

You'll thank me later.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • How's lunanode's ping to USA from Canada?

jarland said: Lunanode :)

You'll thank me later.

GM2015 said: How's lunanode's ping to USA from Canada?

I get about 50-55ms to Toronto and about 60-65ms to Montreal. Not bad from middle of no where in Texas :)

• @William said:
    Not really

The financial and opportunity cost of building, expanding and maintaining their own infrastructure would almost surely outweigh AWS. At those levels, you consider more than just the number of dollars and cents written on the check when figuring in the true cost of doing business.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

I get 90 ms from Dacentec(New York?) to Digitalocean California.

What's the best spot in US for site hosting that has the lowest latency everywhere in the USA?

I've had my site in DO London and it was loading 0.2-1.5s world wide.

I've put to a californian droplet and load increased to 0.2-3s on average.

I don't count Australia above.

jarland said: I get about 50-55ms to Toronto and about 60-65ms to Montreal. Not bad from middle of no where in Texas :)

• @GM2015 said:
    I get 90 ms from Dacentec(New York?)

Lenoir, North Carolina

Thanked by 1GM2015

@GM2015 said:
    What's the best spot in US for site hosting that has the lowest latency everywhere in the USA?

Unfortunately there's really no one size fits all. Just gotta find the best network for the points you need to reach the fastest :)

Thanked by 1GM2015