Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostwinds recently acquired the assets of WeLoveServers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostwinds recently acquired the assets of WeLoveServers

2»

Comments

• Fox2k11 said: @Omni well not an VPS company but maybe you have a look at www.vpn.sh

Yeah, I was thinking I may just go with a VPN provider for my VPN service, and use other my other existing VPS for non-location-dependant services. I'll keep them in mind, although PIA is looking pretty appealing right now.

• zevuszevus Member
    edited February 2016

@Fox2k11 said:

this is from hostwinds seattle location, the 'premium vps',

Download speed from CacheFly: 100MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 19.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 34.0MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.92MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 4.76MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 36.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 8.74MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 100MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 41.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 24.3MB/s
    I/O speed :  612 MB/s

ed: looks like I posted the same thing earlier. with (ed: more than) slightly better results. maybe i should run serverbear or something, it expires soon

• Just got my server migrated as well.. LOL Basically there was no notification of migration... gah. I've seen better service with providers just changing IPs and them sending about 10 notification emails abut in during like 3 months, and only then changing the IP. This was with a provider comparable in price to WeLoveServers.

So.. What alternatives do we have for the UK for ~20$/year with 1-2GB and preferably 1Gb/s port?

Thanked by 1Upstage
  • Their migration is a mess. A hodge-podge of emails and fluff, and if you have more than one container with them, you're left to cross-reference which one they've migrated.

Thanked by 1apidevlab
  • rkanrkan Member
    edited March 2016

I basically sent them an email ranting about not expecting to have backups of my VPS or 24/7 support.. They sent me some vague email about restoring the old UK server for the rest of my pay-period.. I think meh... Haven't really been able to find a better alternative yet though, their price was fair in my mind (I wasn't expecting anything that I actually got from them for 20USD/2GB/20GB or something/1Gbit). For the price it was still the best I came across. A shame. I wonder where the original people went..

Also I can't see how they are seeing overselling as a major "problem", pay more for your 'LEB' or an actual virtual server if you don't want to be oversold. goddamit
    </ rant over>

• after merged my site on weloveservers suspended :( not information, not email, no support. not a serious approach, so things are not done.

• Gotta say it's been a worthwhile experience for me. I have x6 machines that 'migrated' consider these were geo located VPN boxes.

The cross reference experience was PITA however, I think WHCMS is part of that issue, the way it doesn't allow a change of 'label' with reference to the original hostname.

So have shifted many things around, am using 1 domain and putting ARUBA 1€ boxes to use. I have also started making much more use of 'per hour' providers : Lunanode, Prometheus, Domflow, Scaleaway, Vultr and Digital Ocean.

The reason I have seen this as a 'positive' is that it makes good use of my ability to mix, match, template and snapshot.

No, machine was ever used as 'production' so it's been good to learn and be able to react under 'stress'