Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hostwinds recently acquired the assets of WeLoveServers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hostwinds recently acquired the assets of WeLoveServers

Hello Ron (***sky ***court)

We would like to welcome you to the Hostwinds Family. Hostwinds recently acquired the assets of WeLoveServers. Hostwinds will continue to operate all current services, and will provide services to all existing WeLoveServers clients.

We want to tell you a little bit about Hostwinds if you are not familiar with us.

· Founded in 2010

· PC Magazine Editor's Choice Award Winner

· INC 500 Award Winner (#98)

· 25 Full Time US Based Employees

· 24/7/365 US Based Support (Via Live Chat & Phone & Tickets)

· Average Ticket Response Time 5 Minutes

· Owns all equipment outright (Not a Reseller)

Our first goal and priority is to begin migrating all existing clients over to Hostwinds enterprise billing system, for faster response times, and easier management of existing services. This will take place over the next 60 days, you will receive an email with more information on this.

The most immediate change you will notice, is all credit card and PayPal payments will now be going directly through Hostwinds. This means that on your Credit Card Statement the charge will show up as “Hostwinds”, also on PayPal payments, it will show up as paying Hostwinds.

We are very excited about working with you for a long time to come and finding the most effective solutions to your needs. If you have any questions at all, or just want to chat, feel free to open a support ticket, or go directly to Hostwinds.com and open a live chat with a friendly operator.

--The Hostwinds Team
(https://www.hostwinds.com/)

Comments

• qq7119qq7119 Member
    edited December 2015

They continuously Mergers and Acquisitions......

• They seem to have acquired quite a lot of hosts.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited December 2015

I was wondering why the spam from weloveservers I was getting every three days stopped arriving.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Dear god. HostWinds is like a mini-Endurance International Group.

• In my experience with weloveservers, I found the absolute best customer service. Unfortunately I can not say the same about the performance of the VPS.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • This probably explains why I got an email from Hostwinds with some Black Friday offers. I ignored it, figuring some other host sold my info.

• Oh whoopee, I am not expecting any improvement on WLS woeful support.

Like others said they 'were' pretty good at one point... Now? it's time to wind down or abandon any services with them :)

• Spam host acquiring Spam hosters to sell the same shity offers for higher prices (spammers won't complain).

• OK that's some shady stuff if its true to excute some DDOS action on an open source project by a company to do

but

Always there is more to the story

• I spoke with Hostwinds a bit, and learned that all servers are getting migrated over to their Seattle and Dallas locations. 2/3 of my servers with WLS were in Europe, so this kind of sucks. Hopefully performance of the servers improves.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

They must be doing something right to keep buying up other companies. If things are as bad was what people are saying here then I would expect them to be loosing customers.

I have never used them nor do I need to. LOL

• @amhoab said:
    I spoke with Hostwinds a bit, and learned that all servers are getting migrated over to their Seattle and Dallas locations. 2/3 of my servers with WLS were in Europe, so this kind of sucks. Hopefully performance of the servers improves.

I am on one of their SSD servers in Seattle,

Download speed from CacheFly: 103MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 23.3MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 36.1MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 17.3MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 13.75MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 26.5MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 14.0MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 108MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 63.6MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 45.0MB/s
    I/O speed :  714 MB/s

• The fun starts...

• i have a hostwinds account now (not notifciated about it)
    • with a seattle (premium) VPS (yes also not notifciated about this)
    • the VPS has a nasty recurring amount of: $82.50 USD !
    Thanked by 1netomx
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@LES said:
    The fun starts...

Premium, it seems to be normal, i paid 3$/year for Webspace, since the ISP got bought from WeloveServers they started to charge me 7$ per Month.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Anna_ParkerAnna_Parker Member
    edited February 2016

Hello xxx,

This message is to inform you that Hostwinds has began the migration process of all OpenVZ servers from WeLoveServers to Hostwinds Enterprise Servers.

These migrations are occurring in phases, and you will be informed as to your new IP information once completed.

Please note, that once the migration is completed, your WeLoveServers server's IP address will be forwarded to your new Hostwinds IP address, seamlessly, without any interaction needed by you.

During the migration, your server may go offline for a short period of time, to finalize the migration process. Due to the amount of transfers processing, we are unable to provide you with an exact time-frame as to when this outage will occur, however the migrations will begin within the next 48-72 hours, and continue until completion.

You will be updated via a Ticket on Hostwinds, once your services have been migrated, with the information of your Hostwinds server.

Your Hostwinds client details are the same as your WeLoveServers client details. You may login to your Hostwinds client area, at the following link - https://clients.hostwinds.com/

Please do not hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or concerns, we're happy to help.

-- The Hostwinds Team

• apidevlabapidevlab Member
    edited February 2016

@Infinity580 said:
    Premium, it seems to be normal, i paid 3$/year for Webspace, since the ISP got bought from WeloveServers they started to charge me 7$ per Month.

Yes, here too.....

Despite the fact all the servers are now in the US (used EU servers for a reason) there is some hefty increase in prices. It does seem they MAY have added some extensions to services but until properly checked cannot be sure. That I have gone from a $25.50 p/a to $140 for a server in a country I didn't request :(

They have also appear to have set the cancellation request to be instant, WHCMS allows 'at the end of the billing period'

However, hey ho there are much more important things to worry about than me bitching about a VPS server move & price increase. I will use them as tinker toys and cancel as needed.

UPDATE: They have managed to transfer 1 VPS with no issues at all just another 5 to go

• Fox2k11Fox2k11 Member
    edited February 2016

@LES said:
    The fun starts...

well I have two with WLS that are now over at hostwinds..

the 1GB server is now twice of the anually price.. $19 --> $41

the 256mb server went from $8 to $30 that's triples the annualy price at WLS

I complained about this and I got reply saying it will be fixed once the migration is done.. I doubt it but time will tell..

also one of my servers was deprived in diskspace I also complained about that and I got told that "the packages at hostwinds are not exactly the same as with WLS" so I guess that means.. "this is how the cookie crumbles now"

well they could at least ask if the new customers are okay with that or offer some compensation but okay.. I'm not running a company of this kind..

also I noticed they have Privacy issues (Bad Day for Data privacy) which I let them know.. so I give them some time to fix it before I expose them by releasing any details about that..

well so far one server got migrated..

• zevuszevus Member
    edited February 2016

@Fox2k11 said:

>

I had different experience from CSR. I had two servers at HolderHost that they allowed me to consolidate into one (much better) VPS at Hostwinds. Performance on it is very good, too.

But, yes, since it's just a hobby machine, it's not something I'll be renewing once it expires. Cost is something like 2-3x what I'd like.

ed: my servers were due to expire in late Jan, they added an additional month and then another 15 days after that for me (after it took them approx that amount of time to migrate them from holderhost)

• Fox2k11Fox2k11 Member
    edited February 2016

@zevus said:
    ed: my servers were due to expire in late Jan, they added an additional month and then another 15 days after that for me (after it took them approx that amount of time to migrate them from holderhost)

I concur.. I certainly not paying the price they are showing in the client area once they expire (if not settled earlier) I get a better VPS for those amounts..

but I use one server for monitoring and it irks me that I have to move the server wich comes with some reconfigurations and re-installs..

also their reply that they don't have the same packages as WLS and hence there is a deprivement in disk space kinda blows.. you don't get a piece chopped of your car because the car dealer you bought it was eaten by an even bigger car dealer...

I'm pretty miffed...

edit:

Quick Test from the server that has been Migrated..

Dallas Location (Cogentco Network)

CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz

Number of cores : 1

CPU frequency :  1300.012 MHz

Total amount of ram : 1024 MB

Total amount of swap : 256 MB

Download speed from CacheFly: 12.0MB/s

Download speed from Linode, Atlanta, GA: 12.0MB/s

Download speed from Linode, Newark, NJ: 11.7MB/s

Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 12.1MB/s

Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 9.14MB/s

Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 10.4MB/s

Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 12.1MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 7.43MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 11.5MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 11.6MB/s

Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 11.6MB/s

I/O speed :  43.6 MB/s
    -------------------------------

• I have 4 core in my old plan and 256 swap in my old plan with wls, but only 1 core and no swap when mirgated to Hostwinds.

• apidevlabapidevlab Member
    edited February 2016

Seems that poor communication is an issue here. I have a VPS running a UK VPN and that it's simply been prepared to 'migrate' to US.

It may be that they're expecting us to leave (and with the pricing encourage it)

• I was told by them today (via live chat) that the pricing shown in the control panel is incorrect, and that they expect to maintain the current prices.
    They state everything will be fixed after the migration actually takes place.

• Fox2k11Fox2k11 Member
    edited February 2016

@apidevlab said:
    Seems that poor communication is an issue here. I have a VPS running a UK VPN and that it's simply been prepared to 'migrate' to US.

**It may be that they're expecting us to leave (and with the pricing encourage it) **

well with the prices that currently stick on the servers I have I could get one of their T4-Premium VPS it has way better specs but it's a monthly price as well..for that money I can get a full fletched EU-based dedicated server..

well I got an reply to my query why their rwhois server is leaking your personal information...

As for IP rwhois, this is Hostwinds policy, that any/all IP space that is assigned to a client, their rwhois SWIP information is displayed. **This is not something that can be disabled**

so this means everyone who has your Hostwinds VPS server Ip and does a whois (on a terminal do "whois ip " or scans their VPS ranges gets a ton of (legit) customer Information like full name & Address and so..

what you guys think of that?

• Fox2k11Fox2k11 Member
    edited February 2016

Just Got this email..

Hello ******

We have completed your OpenVZ server migration, and wish to welcome you to Hostwinds!

Hostwinds will be honoring your current billing contract with WeLoveServers, through one month AFTER your next invoice.

As an example, if you are currently paid through 02/16/2016, your next due date with Hostwinds would be 03/16/2016.

We know that you will see the value in our company, and we wish to expand upon the benefits you will immediately see, now that your services have been migrated to Hostwinds.

The pricing that WeLoveServers was offering previously, was not sustainable for a business. The company was not profitable, nor did there appear to be any long term business plan.

The company was not taking ANY backups of the client's data. These nodes were setup through several third-party providers, with NO server monitoring in place.

The OpenVZ nodes were extremely oversold, and had hundreds of clients placed onto them. Nearly all servers were given 1Gbps transfer speeds on a node, with only a 1Gbps line.

The Raid Arrays were not setup in the most efficient manner and in some instances would not have been able to protect against hard drive failure.

WeLoveServers support was outsourced overseas to 'technicians' lacking any formal qualifications, and the bulk of the technicians lacked any access to resolve many issues.

At Hostwinds, we own all of our Enterprise level servers, we utilize a Hardware Raid10, using only Western Digital RE Drives. We also closely monitor ALL aspects of our servers and network, to proactively correct issues before they occur.

We take nightly backups of all of our nodes on offsite storage, retaining a rolling 10 days of backed up data. All of our nodes have multiple gigabit uplinks ensuring that there is no network congestion, and consistent transfer speeds.

We also NEVER oversell our services; we are constantly adding new VPS nodes to accommodate our growing demand for our services.

What this means, is that you will be placed on an Enterprise level server, with data protection. You can rest easy that your data will be safe, and your service will be solid.

Hostwinds offers 24/7/365 100% US based support, via phone, live chat, or ticketing system. We pride ourselves in customer service, our average ticket response time is under 10 minutes, and Livechat response times under 30 seconds. We strive to offer the best support in the industry.

We understand that clients of WeLoveServers are budget minded consumers. When our CEO Peter Holden, founded Hostwinds he set out to offer amazing hosting at affordable prices.

In keeping with our core values, we are extending EXCLUSIVELY to you, the largest discount in the history of Hostwinds, of 50% recurring for life.

Your products have already been updated with the 50% for life discount, and your billing will reflect as such.

Upon your next due date, your pricing may increase, to reflect the plan that Hostwinds has paired your WeLoveServers plan with. This may result in an increase in the amount of resources that you previously were provided.

We look forward to working with you, if you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to let us know. Simply submit a ticket or live chat, and one of our technicians will assist you right away.

Once again we welcome you to the Hostwinds family!

We have completed your migration, we have tested and ensured that the migration has completed successfully, your updated server information is below.

Please note, we did not change your server's root password, as such your previous root password with WeLoveServers will remain the same for your Hostwinds server.

Please let us know if you have ANY questions. We want to welcome you to Hostwinds, and we know you'll definitely enjoy our services.

well as I expected those prices will stay..

• say good bye to ws and hostwinds

• Fox2k11Fox2k11 Member
    edited February 2016

@mentari said:
    say good bye to ws and hostwinds

I just bailed out and killed my services there right away..

my server out of the sudden Rejected my SSH key so I went to the Control Panel and opened a Console-Session.. just to get greeted with this..

--> http://i.imgur.com/8OVkf4T.jpg

Okay this is a death end.. since I have a backup of my server I was like "okay let's rebuild the server" okay.. heading to client Area and was greeted with this..

--> http://i.imgur.com/a1hK4lS.jpg

I've been with many lowend vps company's but never run into this much of issues..until I meet hostwinds..

Peace.. I'm out..

Thanked by 1howardsl2
  • kokkezkokkez Member
    edited February 2016

@Fox2k11 said:

Checked just now, i read:

CentOS5.6x64

Centos 5.0 Virtualmin

Centos 5.0 X86

Centos 6 CPV VZ

Centos 6 Prosper202

Centos 6 SHAREDNEWEST2016

Centos 6 CPanel

Centos 6 X86 64

Centos 6 ZPanel

Centos 6.5 X86

Centos 7 X86 64 Minimal

Debian 6.0 X86 64

Debian 7.0 X86 64

Debian 7.0 X86 64 Minimal

Fedora 14 X86 64

Fedora 17 X86 64

Fedora 19 X86 64

Fedora 20 X86 64

Scientific 6 X86 64

Suse 12.1 X86 64

Suse 13.1 X86 64 Minimal

Ubuntu 10.04 X86 64

Ubuntu 12.04 X86

Ubuntu 12.04 X86 64

Ubuntu 13.10 X86 64

Ubuntu 14.04 X86 64 Minimal

Maybe a temporary problem...

• Another miffed ex-WLS customer. Sure they weren't the best in performance or support, but they were -cheap-. I only used my WLS VPS for VPN, deliberately based in the UK (as I am). Now they have migrated me, more than doubled the price when renewal comes around, and the killer is that they only have sites in the US. This VPS just became absolutely useless to me, and now I need to try and find a similar UK based VPS to replace my VPN server, and quickly!

What a paint in the ass, completely unannounced (to me) change this is!

• Fox2k11Fox2k11 Member
    edited February 2016

@kokkez said:
    Maybe a temporary problem...

well for my other service I get this list too but when i go to the other server nope..

but it's the overall package I just used wget yesterday to transfer a 1GB file from the VPS at Hostwinds (dallas location) to the new server I bought (Chicago location) and it took me 20 minutes because the upload of the Hostwinds server was just 1mb/s and below in speed my home connection is faster then their so called "1 gbits connection" hostwinds claims to have.. and lots of other small things that bugged me.. let alone the raise in prices.. I never had an issue with WLS but hostwinds they piled up real fast.

@Omni well not an VPS company but maybe you have a look at www.vpn.sh