Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM control panels other than SolusVM - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM control panels other than SolusVM

2»

Comments

• Do you all use the ModulesGarden Proxmox module or something else?

• PetaByet said: Do you all use the ModulesGarden Proxmox module or something else?

Something else that actually adds functions Modulesgarden is incapable of providing.

• @PetaByet said:
    Do you all use the ModulesGarden Proxmox module or something else?

Don't run MG anything, I am speaking from experience.

• emgemg Veteran

Based on what I am reading above, Proxmox and SolusVM appear to be the most popular. Speaking from an end user point of view, I would ask:

• Is it secure?
    • Is it actively maintained now and for the foreseeable future?
    • Does it provide the functionality that providers require?
    • Can providers operate it with minimal effort, update it easily (with low impact to providers and users), and keep it secure?
    • Does it provide the functionality that end users require?
    • Is it easy for end users to understand and use?

The answer should be yes to all of the above.

• smansman Member
    edited December 2015

Something to consider if you want to be thinking long term. The RHEL v7 version of OpenVZ (Virtuozzo 7) is able to do both OpenVZ and KVM kind of like what ProxMox does. It's RC2 right now.

https://download.openvz.org/virtuozzo/releases/

https://openvz.org/Virtuozzo_7_Technical_Preview_-_Containers

I've used ProxMox for Development and inhouse stuff and it's fine for that. Wouldn't consider using it for production customer facing stuff though.

• @Raymii said:
    If you need a GUI, proxmox is nice for a single node. Openstack (Horizon) for a bigger cluster.

I prefer the command line, libvirt is a very nice tool.

Hell yeah libvirt :)

OP can always build his own with libvirt, there's numerous programming languages that implement the C-bindings.

• smansman Member
    edited December 2015

@Kihi said:
    OP can always build his own with libvirt, there's numerous programming languages that implement the C-bindings.

You can't connect that to WHMCS though. Right now you need a VPS GUI like Solus/Proxmox with a WHMCS module. Sure you can code something. The fact nobody has (at least not that I could find that looks usable) should tell you something.

• KihiKihi Member
    edited December 2015

@sman said:
    You can't connect that to WHMCS though. Right now you need a VPS GUI like Solus/Proxmox with a WHMCS module. Sure you can code something. The fact nobody has should tell you something about the effort vs return.

Ah yes, there is no WHMCS module out there. Hence why I ended up creating my own custom panel in Ruby/Go with libvirt.

WHMCS is too restrictive at times :(

• sman said: The fact nobody has (at least not that I could find that looks usable) should tell you something.

There are 2 modules I know of that allow WHMCS to provision and allow customers to manage Proxmox containers. One is horrible, the other is wonderful, but no sense telling all the summer hosts which is which

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • smansman Member
    edited December 2015

@miTgiB said:
    There are 2 modules I know of that allow WHMCS to provision and allow customers to manage Proxmox containers. One is horrible, the other is wonderful, but no sense telling all the summer hosts which is which

Yes there are for Proxmox and Solus. The Solus one works just fine. I was replying to the guys who are saying to just use libvirt command line.

• @PetaByet said:
    Do you all use the ModulesGarden Proxmox module or something else?

Some are using ModulesFactory.