Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM control panels other than SolusVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM control panels other than SolusVM

PetaByetPetaByet Member
edited December 2015 in Providers

Just wondering if the community like any VPS control panels other than SolusVM?

It seems to lack some options for KVM such as support for more disk image types, usage stats, etc.

Which panel?
  1. Question67 votes
    1. Proxmox
      38.81%
    2. Virtualizor
      26.87%
    3. Feathur
        0.00%
    4. CLI
        2.99%
    5. SolusVM
      19.40%
    6. Other
      11.94%

Comments

• IgniteServersIgniteServers Member
    edited December 2015

Proxmox or virtualizor is good.

Thanked by 1PetaByet
  • deployvmdeployvm Member, Host Rep

Proxmox is quite flexible, so I would recommend it. I think the User GUI in Proxmox is not nearly as friendly as SolusVM.

If you are looking away from the traditional VPS model, you should consider OpenStack and OnApp. However, a significant investment is required and infrastructure requirements must be met.

• Honestly id say proxmox man, you can limit I/O and if your selling to clients using WHMCS you can use the add ons for bandwidth and to view VM's usage. With proxmox your control is very flexible as @deployvm said as well.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Proxmox works very well in my experience

• Been using Proxmox for almost 6-7 years. It's solid.

All the "negative" stuff comes from WHMCS/SolusVM folks who want point and click WHMCS support.

• Another Proxmox vote from me. It's terrific.

• rickey318rickey318 Member, Host Rep

I have used Proxmox and SolusVM. I have to say both of them are great. Proxmox I just didn't like to GUI wasn't customer friendly as SolusVM. But I'll vote for Proxmox if SolusVM isn't what your looking for.

• I vote Proxmox. It's really fantastic

• @lewissue said:
    I vote Proxmox. It's really fantastic

Yes, have mercy that proxmox GUI is atrocious.

• @IgniteServers said:
    Yes, have mercy that proxmox GUI is atrocious.

:) only the administrator need to work with that proxmox GUI. users will work with proxmox WHMCS addon which is user-friendly

• @lewissue said:
    :) only the administrator need to work with that proxmox GUI. users will work with proxmox WHMCS addon which is user-friendly

User friendly and cost out of the ass but worth it if you get all the accessories.

• it costs. yeah! but SolusVM also costs.

Cost -----> SolusVM = Proxmox

But Performance -----> SolusVM <<< Proxmox

Thanked by 1IgniteServers
  • lewissuelewissue Member
    edited December 2015

sorry, duplicate post.

• My vote goes to SolusVM

• I would love to use Proxmox, but they don't support centos I last checked.

• HostGuard

• IgniteServers said: User friendly and cost out of the ass but worth it if you get all the accessories.

Proxmox is free, it only costs for support, if you wish to pay it. SolusVM costs, and increases with your business as your node count increases. The WHMCS modules are far less than the fees SolusVM charges. and Proxmox offers way more than SolusVM when it comes to function.

PetaByet said: I would love to use Proxmox, but they don't support centos I last checked.

What do you mean support CentOS? As a CT/VM or as the host OS? It is based on Debian, for the host OS, but for containers, it supports any OS KVM can run, or any template OpenVZ allows.

• @miTgiB said:
    What do you mean support CentOS? As a CT/VM or as the host OS? It is based on Debian, for the host OS, but for containers, it supports any OS KVM can run, or any template OpenVZ allows.

I'm talking about the host, I've used centos for as long as I can remember and only use Deb/Ubuntu when 100% required.

• If you need a GUI, proxmox is nice for a single node. Openstack (Horizon) for a bigger cluster.

I prefer the command line, libvirt is a very nice tool.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Also, doesn't OnApp support KVM?

• @Raymii said:
    Also, doesn't OnApp support KVM?

You are looking for some serious dollars :) I'm only intending to have one or two nodes.

• Raymii said: If you need a GUI, proxmox is nice for a single node. Openstack (Horizon) for a bigger cluster.

Both Proxmox and Openstack use/support Ceph for distributed storage, Proxmox allows for node clustering as well. Openstack obviously has a richer API, but both offer a rich API and the GUI is just there if/when needed. Openstack networking is sort of a clusterfuck, but once you get past than.... And Proxmox supports neutron as well

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Proxmox <3 I couldn't get HA to work on solusVM, Promxox practically did it all its self and very attractive to someone whom starting out as like its been said its FREE and can run 2 types of virtualization on the same node.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited December 2015

@PetaByet said:
    I'm talking about the host, I've used centos for as long as I can remember and only use Deb/Ubuntu when 100% required.

Tbh proxmox is more like an appliance than a standard Debian box, so ideally you should leave the underlaying OS alone as much as possible.

Anyone played with ovirt yet, I have done briefly a while back seemed quite powerful but quite complex.

• @miTgiB said:
    Both Proxmox and Openstack use/support Ceph for distributed storage, Proxmox allows for node clustering as well. Openstack obviously has a richer API, but both offer a rich API and the GUI is just there if/when needed. Openstack networking is sort of a clusterfuck, but once you get past than.... And Proxmox supports neutron as well

I wasn't aware that proxmox did neutron and ceph. You can use a boatload of storage drivers with openstack, lvm, freebsd, iscsi, vendor specific shit... and ceph of course

• Raymii said: You can use a boatload of storage drivers with openstack, lvm, freebsd, iscsi, vendor specific shit... and ceph of course

I'm thinking you meant to say something else, as I've never heard of freebsd storage drivers. Proxmox also supports zfs, iscsi, zfs over iscsi, nfs, lvm, iscsi, RBD(ceph) and GlusterFS

• @miTgiB said:
    I'm thinking you meant to say something else, as I've never heard of freebsd storage drivers. Proxmox also supports zfs, iscsi, zfs over iscsi, nfs, lvm, iscsi, RBD(ceph) and GlusterFS

ZFS seems to be promising.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Proxmox is not designed for production, as it will be very complicated for end user to use. As for private projects, Proxmox is right tool.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

WebProject said: Proxmox is not designed for production, as it will be very complicated for end user to use. As for private projects, Proxmox is right tool.

Proxmox can very much be used in production. It has a very extensible API that you can use to write any tool you need, including a more user friendly interface.

• WebProject said: Proxmox is not designed for production

I've seen a few providers use it, including one company I previously worked for.