Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crashplan slow as hell? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crashplan slow as hell?

13»

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Well it looks like I'm at 5Mbps today... still not the 30Mbps we were getting before but better than the 3Mbps we were getting yesterday.

• I have been getting 2-3 Mbps on a server in a data center which is not very good but I did notice my CPU gets hammered quite a bit and its just a little Atom so I think the 448 bit encryption and then the compression causes a bit of a slow down.

In my case I don't really care as its cheap, does what I need and the speed is fine as it is able to keep up with what I upload to that box.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@luma said: its just a little Atom so I think the 448 bit encryption

Herp derp atom encryption.

Stop making their excuses for them.

Just so you know, with a 2TB archive it loads an AthlonX2 3000 MHz (1M cache) to 100%, managing to only achieve about 3-4 Mbps. And yes I believe the CPU load rises linearly depending on how much data you have uploaded, because the bulk of the load is not actually encryption, but deduplication (which can be set to Minimal, but not turned off): the client has to look through a hash table of all the blocks that are already "up there", to determine if a newly-uploaded block is a dupe or not.

edited January 2013

We were running it off an Intel Atom 230 for a few months (running OpenVZ) without any issues. We still got the same speeds (at the time it was 30Mbps) but of course with higher CPU usage. We only moved our backup server to one of our Intel Xeon boxes because I wanted my Atom back. :D

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Atoms are great, I am impressed on how much can they do, but the deduplication stuff will never work for encrypted containers, tho.
    With hdd prices today and atom boards, you can build your own storage server that will use little power.
    Also dedi prices are rock bottom and storage plans all over...

• @Maounique said: Atoms are great, I am impressed on how much can they do, but the deduplication stuff will never work for encrypted containers, tho.

Yes, I love Atom's as well, I use them for firewalls and storage.

I backup my stuff to an atom dedicated server and from there I let Crashplan back it up. The atom is dirt cheap and so is crash plan so I like having the extra layer of protection.

That is why I am not complaining about the speed.

Latest update from CrashPlan:

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this issue further.

CrashPlan has increased capacity in critical areas of our infrastructure, and is continuing to do so. Those affected by this issue should be seeing increased performance from these changes.

From what I'm seeing on our end, it looks like performance has improved. We are marking your issue as solved, however if performance is still an issue for you, please contact us back and we will re-open this issue. Please also attach the log files from the machine affected via the link below. This will allow us to adequately troubleshoot the situation you are experiencing.

• Just got the same email! I sadly already de-installed CrashPlan so can't give you an answer if it's true or not

• Storage VPS + backuppc?

@twain said: Storage VPS

If you can list a US-based Storage VPS with 2TB of encrypted storage for less than $7.50/month I'll sign up today. :D

• Ah ok didnt know how cheap crashplan is

@twain said: Ah ok didnt know how cheap crashplan is

I got it for under 3 eur for 1 year and this is why I wanted to test, but it proved unusable sadly.

• THREAD RESURRECTION: GO GO GO GO !!

So, has anyone had to do a massive monolithic restore from Crashplan yet? Are the download speeds better than the upload speeds? I'd have to have to tell people to wait a week to restore an entire node.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@Damian And that is why i use: http://bacula4hosts.com/

to backup to my own backup servers

• TACServersTACServers Member
    edited November 2014

Bringing back the dead, because I don't want to post a new one.. This is on a gigabit L3 circuit at about 40% utilization currently.. I have been capped at 10mbit since I started the restore..

@cncking2000 said:
    Bringing back the dead, because I don't want to post a new one.. This is on a gigabit L3 circuit at about 40% utilization currently.. I have been capped at 10mbit since I started the restore..

On the Pro or + plan? + is much much much faster than the Pro in my experience.

• This is on the + plan, I dumped two raid arrays back to back, thus necessitating a 1TB restore, but holy cow.. Ill have the 2 week old backups on disk brought back up to date days before this finishes.

@cncking2000 said:
    This is on the + plan, I dumped two raid arrays back to back, thus necessitating a 1TB restore, but holy cow.. Ill have the 2 week old backups on disk brought back up to date days before this finishes.

It's utter crap, 10 mbps is still way better than the 1 i was getting at max with the family plan, i mean, wtf, by the time i manage to upload my core backups, the year ends and I need to renew.

• KuJoe said: I'd be willing to partner up with another provider if anybody is interested. You colo a backup box with us and we colo a backup box with you. Off site backups solved. :)

I offer the same for someone (not limited to companies), preferably in EU. Box is a small tower (or 2U) with around 100W power usage.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Eh, I could probably do a provider backup special :)

hint hint

• @Maounique - I was able to upload this at nearly the same speed, but I didn't expect them to be capping the restores to 10mbit as well.

• So anyone have an alternative to Crashplan? 10mbits is too slow when my upload speed is 75

edited November 2014

Backupsy, xenpower L plans, BuyVM also has something even OVH i hear improved theirs (or a kimsufi), but depends on your requirements, for a fully exportable space with iSCSI, for example, you need control over the kernel so a KVM/Xen/dedi solution will be needed otherwise, anything will do, if you only need to put your files some place and retrieve them in full.