Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crashplan slow as hell? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Crashplan slow as hell?

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Corey said: dropbox does (get 20GB

Because obviously Crashplan where you can upload 2 TB or more, and Dropbox, where you have to jump through hoops to even get 20GB, are perfectly comparable and equivalent.

• @rm_ said: Because obviously Crashplan where you can upload 2 TB or more, and Dropbox, where you have to jump through hoops to even get 20GB, are perfectly comparable and equivalent.

idk how much data you have... and obviously crashplan has tons of upload speed trouble etc..... so yea it's comparable... equivalent... no... because then obviously dropbox would be just as bad

@Freek said: There is seriously someone selling this 'service'? Really? How much does it cost?

I know how you can do this by yourself for free. Just takes an hour or so of your time though.

fiverr.... everything costs $5

• @Freek said: Just takes an hour or so of your time though.

You sure about that?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@Corey said: dropbox does

Ouch! Those prices are pretty intense. I've got 809GB stored right now for less than $8/month.

• @gubbyte said: You sure about that?

Yes, I did it twice. Once for myself and once for a friend.

@KuJoe said: Ouch! Those prices are pretty intense. I've got 809GB stored right now for less than $8/month.

DropBox uses Amazon S3 if I'm not mistaken. That makes it a bit pricey I guess.

I also found AltDrive, which seems to be backupping a hell-of-a-lot faster than Crashplan, Carbonite and BackBlaze combined!
    Crashplan backupped 4.7GB in 24 hours, about 55 Kbyte/s. Yay!

• @KuJoe said: Ouch! Those prices are pretty intense. I've got 809GB stored right now for less than $8/month.

They are intense if you have to store anything over the free account allotment :) I think it is mostly geared towards single home users.

@Freek said: AltDrive

Looks very awesome, just wish it wasn't on the exact opposite corner of the US. :(

• @Freek said: I also found AltDrive, which seems to be backupping a hell-of-a-lot faster than Crashplan, Carbonite and BackBlaze combined!

http://altdrive.com/pricing.html states that when backing up more than 3 computers, it's 15 cents per gigabyte :(

edited January 2013

@Damian said: states that when backing up more than 3 computers

Then just backup all your servers to one computer then run AltDrive on that one computer. :P

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

For me crashplan stunk so bad that I had to drop it.
    I had 1.4 mbps when anywhere in US I have 1.5-2 MB/s, it is clearly throttled like crazy and my 200 gb file i was trying to upload was about to take between 35 and 61 days this is how much the speed was variable.
    I then switched to my dedi and iSCSI and have no problems with almost wire speed (100 mbps).

• @KuJoe said: Looks very awesome,

Looks awesome, but isn't. Their software looks and feels rushed, old and unfinished. It doesn't show an ETA on how longs it's going to take but even worse: If you interrupt the backup (there's no way to pause) e.g. by restarting your PC, it will start ALL OVER again. With 2TB that's a big no-go.

@Maounique said: I had 1.4 mbps when anywhere in US I have 1.5-2 MB/s, it is clearly throttled like crazy and my 200 gb file i was trying to upload was about to take between 35 and 61 days this is how much the speed was variable.

Has anyone tried this before?
    http://wojo.com/blog/2011/1/30/changing-your-crashplan-central-server-for-better-backup-spe.html
    I can't seem to find the app.log so I can't see if it worked.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@Freek said: I can't seem to find the app.log so I can't see if it worked.

it's in [crashplan dir]/log/app.log for me

private=efa-msp.crashplan.com:443

I won't try the change method, no point if I'll have to re-upload all of my 2.6 TB.

• @rm_ said: it's in [crashplan dir]/log/app.log for me

It turned out to be in C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\Log for me

I changed my GUID 5 times. It keeps picking these two:
    ejb-msp.crashplan.com --> 1.5Mbps
    atlg1.crashplan.com --> 350Kbps

Both suck. I see they have a location in Ireland as well. Why doesn't it route me to Ireland? It's much closer to me!

• Seems to be a definite market for a reliable backup service. Wonder what profit margins are like and if this could be a pure software solution leveraging a third party storage engine.

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited January 2013

@shardhost people here understand cost per gb, yet still hear 'unlimited' and expect to be able to store TBs for well below cost, so no I think it's a miserable business :)

Your only hope is that a service is big enough and had enough paying users using very little storage that they turn a blind eye to the people trying to ram multiple TBs down their throat whilst paying pennies a month.

Crashplan is quite good as software goes - if you dont mind java - they release it for free, you only pay for their cloud storage, but you can equally backup to other computers/drives easily

@freek maybe build another NAS, stick it at your mates, run crashplan on it and backup there?

• @tehdan said: @shardhost people here understand cost per gb, yet still hear 'unlimited' and expect to be able to store TBs for well below cost, so no I think it's a miserable business :)

I was thinking more of a service that offered what you paid for, but then thinking about you are then down nothing either way

• @tehdan said: @freek maybe build another NAS, stick it at your mates, run crashplan on it and backup there?

Haha good thinking. Problem is that I am trying to backup the NAS/Server at my mates ;)

I just had a chat with Crashplan support. They told me that only Atlanta and Minnesota locations are for Crashplan+ Users, all other locations, including Ireland, are for Pro users... Also, typical upload speeds are between 1-3Mbps according to live chat.
    I quote 'We will never be able to saturate your 50Mbps line'.

• @Freek said: Haha good thinking. Problem is that I am trying to backup the NAS/Server at my mates ;)

I just had a chat with Crashplan support. They told me that only Atlanta and Minnesota locations are for Crashplan+ Users, all other locations, including Ireland, are for Pro users... Also, typical upload speeds are between 1-3Mbps according to live chat.

I quote 'We will never be able to saturate your 50Mbps line'.

Sounds like pro users get better speeds.

• @Corey said: Sounds like pro users get better speeds.

@KuJoe is Pro

• @shardhost I guess there's nothing to stop you getting a nice big storage machine, then letting people pay you to be crash-plan friends with them. You can control how much space they can use etc, and the clients make direct connections as far as I can see, so speed could be better

@freek so put the backup NAS at your place?

I'd be willing to partner up with another provider if anybody is interested. You colo a backup box with us and we colo a backup box with you. Off site backups solved. :)

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

That would be cool @KuJoe
    I would be happy to do this with you. Just mail me (myletusername)@hotmail.com

• FreekFreek Member
    edited January 2013

Right, so I now basically trailed every 'Unlimited Online Backup Service' and here are my verdicts to save you time:

CrashPlan --> Good software but Slow. Speeds between 1-3 Mbps.

Carbonite --> Old, stubborn software and Slow. Speeds around 1 Mbps.

BackBlaze --> Decent software but Slow. Speeds around 1.5Mbps

AltDrive --> Unfinished Software (No way to pause, according to Support will be introduced in the coming weeks) with OK speeds 5-10Mbps.

MyPC Backup --> Default paid accounts don't support files over 1GB. Upgrade to 5GB per file possible for 20 bucks an year extra. Not what I'm looking for.

LiveDrive --> Didn't try. Highly unrecommended according to lots of users. Non existent but rude support and unreliable backups (incomplete, corrupted or just gone).
    PS. Beware for LiveDrive resellers!! http://www.onlinebackupdeals.com/livedrive/livedrive-resellers/

Backup Solutions --> Old and VERY Slow software. After 1 hour it didn't even start backupping yet, canceled.

KPN Online Backup --> Dutch Company. Was a few months ago in the news because their backup servers crashed and they didn't have backups lol. Still hasn't been fixed properly according to a friend of mine. Very sluggish and unreliable.

McAfee Online Backup --> Uses Mozy.com. Best speeds so far at 15Mbps and nice software although not much to fiddle with/tech data for us geeks (you can view your backupped files in a 'separate drive' in My Computer). I think this one's a keeper at 50 bucks an year for unlimited space :)

Above speeds were tested on a 50Mbps uplink from NL. Given that most if not all services have their servers in US, this could play a factor in speeds due to bad routing.
    US residents might see better speeds

@KuJoe said: I'd be willing to partner up with another provider if anybody is interested. You colo a backup box with us and we colo a backup box with you. Off site backups solved. :)

That is very kind of you, KuJoe! Do you host your own CrashPlan Pro or are you using Crashplan Central?

Thanked by 1Sylmae
  • @Freek said: I think this one's a keeper at 50 bucks an year for unlimited space :)

Linux client available?

• IshaqIshaq Member
    edited January 2013

If they use Cogent, it could be why.

@Freek said: That is very kind of you, KuJoe! Do you host your own CrashPlan Pro or are you using Crashplan Central?

Right now I'm just backing up to CrashPlan's online service.

• @Damian said: Linux client available?

Sadly no :( Windows only.

@Ishaq said: If they use Cogent, it could be why.

Not sure how I can check for that. I do know it's using Mozy's backend.
    Also, that 15Mbps is obviously throttled as it's very constant. A quick google search confirms my thoughts; Mozy does indeed throttle, although 15Mbps is a nice speed.

@KuJoe said: Right now I'm just backing up to CrashPlan's online service.

How exactly does that work for Pro clients? Can you select in which DC data will be backed up?

@Freek said: How exactly does that work for Pro clients? Can you select in which DC data will be backed up?

Nope, I tried changing it with "guid new" but it cycles between 2 servers in the same location I think (bob-msp.crashplanpro.com and cea-msp.crashplanpro.com).

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited January 2013

@KuJoe said: Nope, I tried changing it with "guid new" but it cycles between 2 servers in the same location I think (bob-msp.crashplanpro.com and cea-msp.crashplanpro.com).

if you did a host file edit blocking the slower server location, would it default to faster location ??

man i wish i could upload at 50Mbps, i'm capped at 2.4Mbps upstream and 118Mbps down with my ISP heh

maybe need to colocate one of those new intel s12xx atom based servers http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?p=8495138#post8495138 at a local location close to you for better speeds ?

Also isn't there encryption overhead for uploads ?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 2013

@eva2000 said: Also isn't there encryption overhead for uploads ?

Well, in the sense that the source uses CPU to encrypt, then, yes, it is overhead, but regarding transfer, no, will not add to that.
    I am using an iSCSI target for backup and deposit there Truecrypt containers I then open on my computer(s) This does incur some overhead, but negligible and at 50 mbps it is irrelevant even when watching full HD streams.
    I think the backup providers are outdated, everyone can grab a small dedi and put owncloud there, or even use other systems such as NFS or iSCSI and mount it on their systems pretty easy and comfy.
    I use my own colo because I need it for other things, but if OVH does not sell to you, there is always Hetzner and even others that have dedis with tons of space, for example Hetzner has 40 or so Eur with 3x1.5 tb, if your backups are important, you can make your own server for a few hundred euros and host it at home, but will eat a bit of power too and wont have geographic diversity.
    If you dont need that much space, there are alternatives much cheaper for 50-400 GB, at Prometeus that costs 1-4 cents a GB per month depending on features (redundancy or not, IPv4 or not), even free 10 GB FTP for all customers, with premium traffic and gear, on supervised environment and soon real cloud.
    I bough crashplan for a year but dumped it, it is simply not good enough for me.
    I dont see a market for those guys anymore unless for ppl that dont know much about computers, but even those cant leave their computers on non-stop for months.