Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or have things changed around here? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it just me or have things changed around here?

Comments

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited January 2013

TL:DR;

Why are you guys so serious and political?
    Seriousness results in butthurt, most of the time.

You guys are so extremely ass damaged by oversold 8GB $1/year offers.
    You guys are so offended by hosts asking for help from LET.
    You guys are so annoyed by summer hosts.
    You guys are so jealous of silver spoon fed hosts like AvanteHosting.
    You guys are so butt offended by clients looking for cheap hosts and then complaining about the bad quality of the host.

Maybe if you guys take a second to not give a fuck about the problems or be less serious about it, the world will be a much better place.

If you guys can't even tolerate such change, go to 4chan and take a look, its even worse there because Redditors, newfags, tripfags or namefags keep coming in.
    But 4channers are able to deal with it.

You kids should just stay at 9FAG and complain more about it.

• @GIANT_CRAB I feel this place would be a lot less... offtopic... without all your MLP stuff.

• GIANT_CRABGIANT_CRAB Member
    edited January 2013

@TheHackBox said: @GIANT_CRAB I feel this place would be a lot less... offtopic... without all your MLP stuff.

d/w it, there are always thread hi-jackers and ponyfags posting shit ton of mlp crab.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@GIANT_CRAB giving another fine post as an example of why I loose interest in threads made here.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2013

Sounds like a pretty good summary there Liam.

These are all the same to me:
    1. Johnny likes band. Band gets popular. Johnny stops liking band.
    2. Johnny likes X brand clothing. X brand clothing gets popular. Johnny stops liking X brand clothing.
    3. Johnny likes his new hairstyle. Hairstyle becomes popular. Johnny shaves his head.
    4. Johnny likes Internet forum. Internet forum gets popular. Johnny stops liking Internet forum.

People often display "old timer" status like its an exclusive club to be proud of. I'm not saying it isn't, not in the slightest. The "old timers" pave the way. Someone always has to be first. You have something to be proud of because LEB blew up in popularity. That's success. No one wants to associate with a crappy website. If it doesn't grow, it's either private or most people think its stupid.

If you've ever referred anyone to this site and then later complained about all those darn new people, you clearly don't understand how events connect. I continually find myself baffled by the mindset of "Why don't other people think like me?" Followed by the mindset of "Why won't people get out of my club and let me be?" It's a common social occurrence that I simply don't find logical.

There's my vent, and I know that wasn't Anthony's point, but it goes with associated responses from others ;)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Its not about new people comming here, that part is good. As said, it shows that the site is popular. What one could wish for is that topics could be clean from the bashing of others. I'm not saying to stop discussions whats better then something else, but please add more to it then just "it's f*cking better because I say so and you are a moron."

There are more and more of this kind of replys and that is not so interesting to read about.
    If disagreeing, bring your opinion to the table instead of acting like a 7-year old repeating same shit over and over.

Jarlands post os something that adds value to the discussion even if I disagree on some part of his text.

• Make a like / dislike button for comments.

If people abuse it, ban them, It's better than the thanks button.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2013

I think a large part of the thing's you describe MikHo is due to using the same format now as was used for a handful of people years ago.

There is no separation at all in the thread types, categories are pretty pointless with such a fast moving forum in this format so if your interest is in scripting for example your thread will be buried fast by domain auctions and where can I get 24GB for $7 threads. which is bound to get annoying.

I would also like to bring up a recurring theme, "Hardware getting cheaper" as the reason behind these how much can I force out for $7 offers, its just not true, 90% of them are still based on E3's and to take advantage of the ram capacity f the E5's you need larger servers to take the number of disks required to sensibly spread the IO, apart from that dual E5's of any sort of speed ar very expensive, the case is larger, the power draw is greater do to the extra chip and disks and you are putting in 2 0 4 times the amount of ram.

So while desktops may well be getting cheaper and ram prices and disk prices are sinking a bit please dont base what hosts should be able to offer on the fact you can put 128GB Ram in a server, there is a bit more to it than that and frankly with the number of VPS's on the server and number of disks/arrays you would need it would be cheaper to stand up 4 x E3's at the moment.

@liam having spoke to a few people about this privately now after the thread and reading your response I think the reality is that what is missing from LEB/T now can never be put back by the current staff. I accept that the whole place is simply a market place now with a community attached and that is not a bad thing at all

I will look at the idea of building a community/ zero commercial/ off shoot, even if only 10 people ever join it will be worth it as it will cost the same as a 4 pack of beer to get done.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2013

At the risk of repeating, is this really more about the way things happen on sites like this. Certainly I appreciate and can say I learnt a lot when this site was smaller and more dedicated to the possibilities of a small VPS.

In fact I learnt more on each visit back then with regard to VPS than I have visiting the site and posting in the last few months.

What has attracted the visitors and members though is the lure of the cheap vps, it has taken the site to a very popular stage only for that reason.

Let's face it who (out of all the members/visitors) wants to learn how to challenge themselves to sqeeze every drop of performance out of a 96mb VPS when you can get a 2GB for $5 a month?

Yes there are still a few however the minority are being overwhelmed by those who simply don't. I actually amazes me still just how many people can't get a simple website running without the aid of a control panel and the need for what is by LET standards a high end VPS.

It's the offers that have made the site so popular and that in turn simply brings people over. I put myself high up on that list, I could post a lot of tutorials on VPS to show people what you can acheive with very little, but then with the amount of providers here who rely heavily on this site for business they could too instead of spending all their time whining in the Cest Pit.

WHT has become extremely bad these days for situations where people will come along asking for advice, in fact there was a prime example this morning. Guy is having CPU spikes on his VPS, so is asking for advice on what provider he could switch to, the next 6 replies were "what's your budget, location, etc.." Nobody actually thinks to reply asking what it is he is running and what could be causing the spike.

As much as I do still like WHT the Mods are loosing the fight against signature spammers and people using the site as a provider help desk. I can see the same happening here at LET.

Just my 2c. :)

• @W1V_Lee said: Let's face it who (out of all the members/visitors) wants to learn how to challenge themselves to sqeeze every drop of performance out of a 96mb VPS when you can get a 2GB for $5 a month?

Yes there are still a few however the minority are being overwhelmed by those who simply don't. I actually amazes me still just how many people can't get a simple website running without the aid of a control panel and the need for what is by LET standards a high end VPS.

Agreed, and I think those two points are closely related. By challenging ourseleves in a true lowend environment we learn to analyse and diagnose and become better sysadmins.

• The thing that has annoyed me the most over the past few weeks/months are those domain auctions. Luckily we've got a dedicated subforum now :)

• DeanDean Member
    edited January 2013

Well after much consideration, I have decided to leave posting in the forum; I've not been here long but I'm fed up of the constant WHT-style crap already. I wish you all well.

• @jarland said: People often display "old timer" status like its an exclusive club to be proud of. I'm not saying it isn't, not in the slightest. The "old timers" pave the way. Someone always has to be first. You have something to be proud of because LEB blew up in popularity. That's success. No one wants to associate with a crappy website. If it doesn't grow, it's either private or most people think its stupid.

I have to agree here man. I have thought this myself sometimes. Not just here but other places I have gone as well. I don't mind new people so much, as I mind their attitude. I am willing to learn something new as much as the next guy but when you just rant and rave and say something is wrong instead of explaining why that is not right. Do I think I am elite? No.

I am mainly a Slackware user and I know this community uses Debian. It now is using more Centos but it used to be more Debian based. I knew coming here I was in the minority. When I first mentioned Slack many people asked me why I used it and when I explained why they understood. A lot of the new hosts don't even have a Slack 32 template for OpenVz. I understand why and I don't say anything because I know I am in the minority here. Do I think I am different? From most people here probably.

Everyone has to do what they have to do to survive. Even websites I get this concept very well. Better then most probably. I just don't want to see this place become another Namepro, Digitalpoint, or WHT. Those places I consider to cesspools and scammer centrals. (That statement is my opinion and should not reflect any on LET or LEB at all)

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2013

Bottom line is that it's developed into a cash cow, in order to keep the cow producing the cash you want more members, visitors, offers and so on keep the advertisers paying. Even if the majority of the posts are pointless, offensive or whatever it keeps the hits coming in.

Don't get me wrong, it's just the way some things are.

It will never change now, it will simply become more and more about the offer threads and the cess pit.

• It's obvious who the contributors are to all the recent trash, and waste of time threads and posts lately, mods need to clean it up. And sooner rather than later.

@DeanClinton said: Well after much consideration, I have decided to leave posting in the forum; I've not been here long but I'm fed up of the constant WHT-style crap already. I wish you all well.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Maybe it's time to introduce a RAM limit to go along with the price limit for offers.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2013

@joepie91 said: Maybe it's time to introduce a RAM limit to go along with the price limit for offers.

I doubt that would work, well it depends on what you mean by ram limits?

• @TheLinuxBug Globalswitch is high quality :(

We moved away from our last budget host (hetzner) and we've been much better off for it!

Well its a slightly different topic I guess but you cant get a 2GB VPS for $5 - 7 if you think you can your deluding yourself, trade descriptions act would have a field day with OpenVZ offers if they had any jurisdiction.

I don't really care about it and I am sure the "if you manage it well" etc arguments will come out to play but bottom line, if it is not guaranteed don't pretend it is.

If any OpenVZ host wants to argue the point I need to insist on a live website posting actual outputs from all host nodes every 15 minutes, I am happy to do the same :) if your not prepared to do that or remove the word dedicate, guaranteed Ram from all your adverts then I dismiss you immediately.

Ram limit is not a bad idea it equals the playing field but maybe a better idea is to agree through a vote the min and max price p/MB p/Month of Ram.

Right now BuyVM's famous $15 p/year offer is $0.0097 p/MB of ram p/Month
    Right now CVPS's Famous 2GB for $7 offer is $0.0034 p/MB p/Month

Making BuyVM's yearly deal about 3 times more expensive p/MB than the CVPS 2GB for $7 deal

if BuyVM matched pricing they would charge $5.22 p/year for the 128MB package or vies versa would be CVPS charging $19.86 p/month for 2GB which would not qualify.

So its interesting when you look at the playing field in a different light, i.e. price p/MB min/max rather than a straight figure of $7 when the 3 virt types have different ways to get around this,

Xen = balloon driver (Very unstable you would never use it in a hosting environment and it is in userland control), cant over sell disk space

KVM = Yes you can over sell ram redhat even suggest a maximum of 1.5x over allocation with each container being a process on the host node you just need to ensure your swap = total ram allocation size as a minimum

OpenVZ = You can oversell ram and disk space and it is largely transparent to users, based on the law of avg you can be faily sure 60 - 70% of all VPS's will sit idle and thus over selling to 3 - 4 x actual system resource is not uncommon.

And with that in mind this sums it up better:

Anyway I think I have probably just sat and derailed my own thread now. :)

• @AnthonySmith said: I will look at the idea of building a community/ zero commercial/ off shoot, even if only 10 people ever join it will be worth it as it will cost the same as a 4 pack of beer to get done.

I missed this earlier... count me in; 9 more needed and I'll buy the beer :)

• @AnthonySmith said: I will look at the idea of building a community/ zero commercial/ off shoot, even if only 10 people ever join it will be worth it as it will cost the same as a 4 pack of beer to get done.

+1.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited January 2013

Missed it too so 7 more :)

• JacobJacob Member
    edited January 2013

6 more..

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I'll join if I can post one line responses and have a 10 line signature.

• Ill join too

• Yes.

Hell I'd pay for it.

• @HalfEatenPie said: Hell I'd pay for it.

How ironic that sounds :P

@yomero I love the fact you always swoop in and make a pertinent point then swoop out again for a month or so :)

You have to join to keep my links correct.

• Hi Anthony!

Well, as I said some time ago, I started to hate some things (people mostly xD) around, so I evolved to a reader only, because now most of the things that I want to post is just trolling and rants because the some new hosts are kids and retards (yes, and sorry, and I am a kid sometimes too).

So, like some people, I come a lot every day just to read. Recently I've posted a couple of comments just to troll (lol) and that's all. But I am not in the mood of helping people and posting everywhere like before.

• 3 more :D