Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or have things changed around here? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it just me or have things changed around here?

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@sleddog said: It used to be about making best use of scarce resources

I'll play the other role here for the purpose of conversation. There are only so many ways you can reduce memory usage on linux servers and we don't see significant updates (at least significant in any way that effects basic optimization) every day. Isn't it possible that eventually this was a topic that played itself out?

Alternatively, the cost of hardware has gone down so much that perhaps the desire for doing more on less has faded.

My point is, perhaps we're blaming a symptom for the disease.

• @HalfEatenPie said: Now its just complaining about lowering the prices ("I could get this there for half the price you're looking for!")

This. Seems like every time I ask a market question, the response is always "BUT THIS PLACE HAS IT FOR HALF PRICE" regardless of quality, which is usually completely irrelevant to what i'm asking. It's kinda getting annoying.

• @Damian said: regardless of quality

Quality has yet to be realized as a value to teens, young adults, it's all about price. After they have matured more, thy will see the value in quality

• well the lowend market has gone the way it would have always gone. What can I get for the littlest amount of money. It probably is because of us guy's from the united states who believe in capitalism.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@sleddog said: Time to change the name, 'cause it isn't about lowend anymore, it's just about "cheap".

That was the wording I was looking for. Absolutely agreed.

• it is still lowend just lowend price!

• @24khost said: it is still lowend just lowend price!

8GB RAM for $6.99/mo with UnsustainableVM!

• @bamn said: UnsustainableVM!

But what about WeSuckMoreVPS ?

• DamianDamian Member
    edited December 2012

@miTgiB said: But what about WeSuckMoreVPS ?

Didn't they merge with PumpNDumpBox?

• Took 3 hours to derail, that is pretty damn good

• sleddogsleddog Member
    edited December 2012

@jarland said: I'll play the other role here for the purpose of conversion. There are only so many ways you can reduce memory usage on linux servers and we don't see significant updates (at least significant in any way that effects basic optimization) every day. Isn't it possible that eventually this was a topic that played itself out?

It seems to have played itself out for this audience -- or the audience has changed. I think the latter. Witness the number of threads about free cpanel alternatives... real lowendboxers avoid the bloat of web-based panels ;) And what do they run? Wordpress I guess, with all the cool plugins. All to publish a few paragraphs of text. Or maybe Google Ads and "SEO optimization" is the goal. Sigh. Originality and innovation seems to be at a low point (here). And don't get me started on the near-panic that occurred when the free Google Apps shutdown....

Alternatively, the cost of hardware has gone down so much that perhaps the desire for doing more on less has faded.

The decrease in the cost of hardware and other expenses has brought a lot of new "providers" into the market. So larger VPSs for $7 or less are becoming common. But all too often, the quality suffers. The numbers are often "imaginary numbers" rather than real numbers. Performance doesn't scale with the advertising. That's sad, as it devalues the (lowend) VPS concept.

Originally, LEB was about learning, innovation and experimentation. It was user-driven. Now it's primarily market-driven. The $7 provider rules.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

I rarely visit LEB anymore since its only offers nowadays and at this moment I do not need anymore LEBs.
    To me, LEB looks like a newspapers with full of ads.

LET has changed in the way that there are no longer the discussions about how to solve a situation, the few topics started about a new innovative way is usually quickly derailed and people loosing focus on the main question.

Most new topics are often about bashing a provider (look how stupid this is), asking what software to use for billing/livechat/controlpanel/whatever..... Instead of getting an opinion of your own, some providers only look what others have done and copies that. There are providers who do it their own way and I honor you for that.

I visit LET mostly everyday but rarely comment on any topics because I either feel its a topic already discussed a million times or not worth the time to comment.

LET has changed and many times changes are needed to get something new. But as already mentioned, if its not an offer for something 'cheap' its an request by a user for something 'cheaper' or 'recommend' me a host. Where all info is available already here. It's just about reading and forming your own opinion.

Well, better get back to the new year party, now that the kids are asleep.

Happy new year!

• @MikHo said: I rarely visit LEB anymore since its only offers nowadays and at this moment I do not need anymore LEBs.

Not too long ago, there was a topic asking for contributors to Low End Box. I'm in the process of writing up an article for Low End Box right now that should be published in the next few days. I don't know how many other writers were contacted or anything like that, but I know that I personally have a handful of topics that I'm planning to cover.

• I agree. And don't own any box with over 512mb ram. All Hail LEBs!

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@bamn said: Plus another concern is the screams about "don't make this into a market place!!!"

Maybe you should take the hint.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@NickM
    Very good, hope there will be many (and good ones).

• @NickM said: Not too long ago, there was a topic asking for contributors to Low End Box. I'm in the process of writing up an article for Low End Box right now that should be published in the next few days. I don't know how many other writers were contacted or anything like that, but I know that I personally have a handful of topics that I'm planning to cover.

Go @NickM! Bring home the Glory! (along with Liam and all the staff of LEB!)

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@joepie91 said: This happens to me increasingly as well.

Happens to all of us, including me. I've got hundreds of drafts.. I guess I need to delete some one of these days.

• bamnbamn Member
    edited December 2012

@joepie91 said: Maybe you should take the hint.

Maybe you should use the pronoun "I" and "me" rather than your community "we" junk you pull all the time. Are you the LET spokesman?

I guess I'll beg for domain donations since capitalism is frowned upon.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited January 2013

My biggest complaint might be that there used to be more diversity in the offerings. It used to be about who had a new and exotic location with a decent network and a decent server. It was awesome to have servers all over the world in different locations. However, at some point instead of it being about new locations and better servers, it became who can do it cheapest at the same oversold data center with budget hardware. This can be seen in the vast amount of hosts now found in the common DCs: Datashack, Volumedrive, Burstnet, Quadranet, Colocrossing, Dacentec, OVH, Hetzner, Incero, Phoenixnap, and now Choopa in NJ. Gone are the days of the LowEnd hosts in high quality data centers, because they boost the cost of the servers to much to be able to sell for 3$. More hosts should start concentrating on NEW locations on non-abused networks, and start concentrating on making realistic 7$/month offers with quality over quantity.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug said: non-abused networks, and start concentrating on making realistic 7$/month offers with quality over quantity.

Something coming soon ;)

Gone are the days of the LowEnd hosts in high quality data centers

Yet you mentioned incero. Not exactly a datacenter in itself but if its not quality, I'd love to hear what is ;)

• Nevermind that, I'll be making a thread soon about something new that a dev just made for us.

Existing clients will be able to use it within the next hour or so, and emails will be going out.

Happy new year!

@TheLinuxBug said: NEW locations on non-abused networks, and start concentrating on making realistic 7$/month offers with quality over quantity.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited January 2013

@Jarland I think you missed part of my point, when there is like 80 hosts in the same datacenter... regardless of the specific network quality, how is that helpful to me? Not sure about you, but if I have a vps in Incero data center, unless I have some extreme need for services hosted there, I am not gonna purchase another server in that same dc. So having a bunch of hosts in the same data center seems pretty pointless to me. This is especially the case if they are renting cheap hardware and bandwidth mixes (Cogent/He.net). The only things that might change my mind on that is if that particular host has a 10GigE commit and I can pull 60M/s from their server to almost anywhere because it has awesome routing, or because they have superior hardware which they own.

The best example of this is not per say Incero, but Colocrossing, NY and Choopa, NJ as recently there has been a new host every week popping up with a server in one of those data centers. Dacentec is also pretty high on the list of places that people have been mass renting hardware and has become home to a bunch of new hosts as well.

I think the only valid argument here would be that one company may have better support than another, but when I am buying a LEB as it is supposed to be unmanaged anyways, I am not expecting the moon from support. Unless I am purchasing premium corporate servers, this argument would likely not be very valid.

I am not saying there are not a lot of smart people out there able to run hosts and make money doing it. The fact there is starting to be a bunch of them in one place and its a fight to see who can find the cheapest hardware so they can market the cheapest option, is my main complaint. Instead they should be concentrating on innovating, purchasing their own hardware, setting up their own networks, and offering a quality product that 80 other people do not have.

My 2 cents.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug Patience my friend. I have seen a host our of Softlayer recently. Another one is coming soon from another premium place as far as I know.

• flyfly Member

it kinda sucks, but it's bound to happen as the site gets more popular. I guess let's just be glad there's not as many chinese guys spamming the site yet

• LEA left and he knew why. Many "old" members did the same, probably for the same kind of reasons, and if you are around for quite some time, you know who I am talking about.
    To know if all theses changes are a good thing, we would have to choose whether the quick increase of visitors or the fidelity in the first ideas are the main goal.

I just know that I spend here 40 seconds a day where I could read and write for 20 minutes 1 year back...

• @AnthonySmith said: I agree, it really was always going to happen once it reached a critical mass, it was go completely commercial or die I guess and the commercial conversion is rolling in fast.
    I do think though taking the 'evolution' stand point that it would be a shame to loose a part of what the place was built on (an organ, limb etc)

There are good things still happening. From hanging around here, I am able to get a feel on which providers are suitable for different situations. For a good price of course.

Perhaps the more knowledgeable guys here can contribute more to the tutorials section and wiki. Before that is not a problem as LEA is very generous with his time he gives for research and writing.

It is sometimes intimidating to ask questions here. As there are members who have aura of elitist. Although many are willing to help, the thought that someone will embarrass you will make not just ask for help.

I don't think its all that bad. The new admins are really trying hard, and I believe things will get better

• @jarland said: Yet you mentioned incero. Not exactly a datacenter in itself but if its not quality, I'd love to hear what is ;)

Do you mean corexchange? Or are they and Incero one and the same?

edited January 2013

@TheLinuxBug said: So having a bunch of hosts in the same data center seems pretty pointless to me.

I would agree if we assumed all hosts are the same. It just isn't the reality though. A lot of them look the same, run the same software, and charge close to the same prices, but few are truly the same. When a crisis hits, you'll know one from the other immediately. It's up to the host to tell you why they deserve your business, location is only one possible tool at their disposal. It's important, sure, but not the whole thing.

I do get what you're saying though, but perhaps what you and I both would like to see more of is the question "Why should I pick you?" I'm always ready for the question. I'm in Corexchange with Incero, I'm also in Dacentec. Ask me in a ticket why I deserve your business, I'll write you a book, because I believe in my product ;)