Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many VM you will run on an 8 core, 32GB RAM node?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many VM you will run on an 8 core, 32GB RAM node?

I would like to know some input from LET friends.

On average, how many VM you will run on a node

1).

• KVM
  • 8 Core CPU with HT & VT
  • 16 Threads
  • Processor Base Frequency: 2.4 GHz
  • RAM: 32GB ECC

2).

• OpenVZ
  • 16 Threads

Comments

• Unlimited on both if done correctly. If not done correctly 1

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • Probably about the same as how many eggs can you get in one basket.

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Unlimited on both if done correctly. If not done correctly 1

• @TinyTunnel_Tom: Unlimited on both if done correctly. If not done correctly 1

True, configuration part is very important.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Thanked by 1jvnadr
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

What the OP probably means: how many VPSes would a typical provider put on these nodes? Granted, some LEB providers would be 200...those providing better service, maybe...30ish? All depends on plans of course but perhaps some people can share their ratios.

• ~20 2GB VPS servers.

• raindog308 said: All depends on plans of course but perhaps some people can share their ratios.

Doubtful the better providers would share their ratios, no reason to clue in the less than better providers.

• FlamesRunner said: ~20 2GB VPS servers.

Scam detected. 20x2GB=40GB > 32GB.

• singsing said: Scam detected. 20x2GB=40GB > 32GB.

Nearly everyone oversells RAM. With OVZ or KVM with KSM this is not a problem in general.

• Your main limit will be IO so without you telling us what kind of hdd those servers will have it's hard to tell.

RAID 10?
    Hardware RAID?
    BBU?
    100% SSD? SAS? SATA HDD?

etc

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • since it's a only 8 core CPU i would put no more than 8 without overselling

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    • OpenVZ
    • 16 Threads

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

TarZZ92 said: 8 without overselling

Welcome to low end box :)

Thanked by 3GM2015 Pwner webcraft
  • luv trolls :D

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

TarZZ92 said: since it's a only 8 core CPU i would put no more than 8 without overselling

Anxiously awaiting your plans. Can I order a 128MB VPS? What will be the pricing? Will it at least be cheaper than a 2 core Kimsufi dedicated server - €4.99? Will I also get 500GB disk, not oversold? By that I mean the I/O can't be oversold. I want to use 100% of I/O, so it would be best if you give me my own disk. Surely you will be able to give me some hefty discounts since I'm only ordering 128MB RAM. /s

raindog308 said: What the OP probably means: how many VPSes would a typical provider put on these nodes? Granted, some LEB providers would be 200...those providing better service, maybe...30ish? All depends on plans of course but perhaps some people can share their ratios.

Highly depends on the type of plans, what people are using them for, where they're advertised. Just the number of VMs doesn't signify better or worse service.

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited December 2015

VirMach said: Can I order a 128MB VPS?

i am not the provider here you are. that was my personal opinion. if you oversell the fuck outta your servers does not really bother me.

• Going with OpenVZ, I know nothing about KVM from a provider view sorry.

Assuming you are a host from your username selling VPS's to people who use them for the normal cheap and non-critical vps type stuff, and with 4x newish drives in hardware RAID 10 then i would say 100 with very few if any issues.

If you use OpenVZ's excellent limiting and configuration options, a very strict TOS and autokilling of intensive stuff then 200-300 would be fine. 300 was pushing it on the E3 GVH nodes, mostly due to lack of RAM and network congestion.

• linuxthefish said: If you use OpenVZ's excellent limiting and configuration options

linuxthefish said: 300 was pushing it on the E3 GVH nodes

linuxthefish said: limiting and configuration options

linuxthefish said: options

linuxthefish said: GVH

does not compute.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @William said:
    does not compute.

But GVH

Thanked by 1netomx
  • LoL, like I say luv trolls

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Please don't become a host!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2015

OpenVZ.... probably wouldn't sell less than 128GB of memory and up to 10x the amount of storage.

That'd probably put you at somewhere around 20-30% of the resources actually used at any given moment. It's amazing how many people buy OpenVZ to let it idle.

• 1000. mtwiscool, a respected and knowledgeable industry provider managed this. https://vpsboard.com/topic/4219-i-want-to-provide-0361-per-year-vps39s/

• @sambling said:
    1000. mtwiscool, a respected and knowledgeable industry provider managed this. https://vpsboard.com/topic/4219-i-want-to-provide-0361-per-year-vps39s/

I scanned all 5 pages of that thread waiting for the bit where he overcame all odds and supplied 1000s of 128mb accounts to all on his 32Gb machine for $1/yr. I seem to have missed the bit where it actually happened.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • squibs said: I scanned all 5 pages of that thread waiting for the bit where he overcame all odds and supplied 1000s of 128mb accounts to all on his 32Gb machine for $1/yr. I seem to have missed the bit where it actually happened.

I think I read somewhere he managed a few hundred but IDK. Even a few hundred is an achievement on the hardware he was running but I guess the vast majority idled their boxes.

• he said in the thread any abuse means termination. how can you use a "box" in such circumstances?

sambling said: I guess the vast majority idled their boxes.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited December 2015

William said: Nearly everyone oversells RAM. With OVZ or KVM with KSM this is not a problem in general.

Possibly, but only if KSM is effective enough to trim 8GB plus however much the host OS needs to run the VM software.

• Does Openstack have KSM flags?