Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

External HDD randomly reconnects (windows 10) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

External HDD randomly reconnects (windows 10)

2»

Comments

• lucastlucast Member
    edited December 2015

Ok, is possible to play on linux.

I really tried but poor perfomance for now.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2015/11/ars-benchmarks-show-significant-performance-hit-for-steamos-gaming/

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    Once again, the other thing you have missed here is they already directly produce a LARGE amount of games directly for Linux. A lot of the popular titles you play likely have a Linux version (well I don't know what you like to play, but Steam is a good example (store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/)).

In the case of the games being produced for Linux native you do not even need DirectX.

So while some titles may not have Linux candidates you will find most large titles do. Linux will not replace Windows for playing those other titles, yet, but your blanket statement earlier on was that you couldn't even play games or use Linux for entertainment purposes which is a completely false statement, hopefully you can see this now.

Cheers!

I see where you are coming from right now but you did misinterpret what i said, I've never said you couldn't run games on Linux, this is a quote of what i said 'if you use your PC for gaming and entertainment purposes then i'd recommend windows 10'

meaning that i recommend windows 10 for multimedia and gaming purposes, mainly based on that's its like plug & play, it just works. while on Linux you often have to apply several quick fixes to get things even working!

Hopefully you can see this now.

Cheers!

• I hope both of you are happy proving the other one wrong.

• @GM2015 said:
    I hope both of you are happy proving the other one wrong.

I saw this coming from a mile way, windows vs linux. pretty pointless too because in the end we all choose what fits our purpose best anyways, whenever someone agrees or disagrees is irrelevant.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited December 2015

Right, however, you initial statement implied the same things could not be accomplished in Linux that could be in Windows based on the last sentence in your reply:

'If you are not into gaming and multimedia applications then you should go with a Linux >distro because they'll do just fine for all that other stuff.'

This implies Linux can not handle these things, which is not true. That sentence wasn't even a suggestion, it was a statement which directly implies that you shouldn't use Linux for these things. This is why I replied, because you were telling people things that were not true. Linux can handle gaming and multimedia/entertainment very well, granted some titles are not directly produced for Linux yet, but that will change.

Simply don't go making blanket statements on things you haven't researched or don't know anything about and I will be happy not to call you out on it. :)

Cheers!

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2015

@TheLinuxBug said:

Call me!

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    Right, however, you initial statement implied the same things could not be accomplished in Linux that could be in Windows based on the last sentence in your reply:

on a more serious note, let me make one thing clear - we aint all from Britain.. i might have used the wrong wording/phrasing on that last part. forgive me queen.

• I am not from Britain either, I am from the US. So not quite sure I understand the intent of your last comment, I read it for what it was. Much like others will do. Thus my intent on clarification of the subject. That is all.

Cheers!

• So, you still suffer from that problem.

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    I am not from Britain either, I am from the US. So not quite sure I understand the intent of your last comment, I read it for what it was. Much like others will do. Thus my intent on clarification of the subject. That is all.

Cheers!

Your first comment in this thread contained things like 'you are making blanket statements' and 'you are a fanboy' - you consider this asking for clarification? my previous comment was just me having enough of your disrespect and lowering my attitude to that of yours. hope you like it.

Cheers!

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited December 2015

Out of my 279 games only 93 are currently available for Linux. A lot of Indie games and some crap (from Indiegala giveaways for less than $1) but also some good titles like the whole CS, HL series and even Bioshock Infinite (got it for $1 :P ).

Currently playing Trine on Linux.

• just to update everyone on this initial matter, the problem is resolved. not once i had the issue recurring any longer.

if you have this same issue then disable any kind of power management from windows and plug your device in the back end of your pc usb to guarantee everything is OK.

Have a great day.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited December 2015

Mark_R said: its not like we have an proper alternative.. Linux? hah..

I run Linux almost exclusively and I have experienced the same issue with USB-powered external hard disks just going click-click-click when they're plugged into certain USB ports.

Because I could always find a port that works, I never bothered to investigate this further.

But do not think Linux is immune from this issue.

I think the basic problem is HDDs require a lot of power to spin up and not all USB implementations are tested for that.