Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

External HDD randomly reconnects (windows 10)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

External HDD randomly reconnects (windows 10)

Hello,

Recently i bought a new external harddrive (Hitachi Touro Mobile MX3 1 TB) and it appears to be randomly disconnecting from USB and then quickly afterwards directly reconnects, i do hear the windows 'usb unplugged' sound whenever it happens. This behavior does not seem to occur whenever the external harddrive is being used for playing video or music.
There also seems to be no set time it occurs, its happening at total random intervals.

Can this be happening because my pc's hardware is not getting enough power supplied? does the Asus AI Suite II driver i installed recently for my sabertooth motherboard has anything todo with it?

Windows 10 says everything is fine while its not!!

http://puu.sh/lLqGh/353f3863ef.png

Any insights would be much appreciated because at this point i really have no idea whats going wrong!

Comments

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited December 2015

I have this constantly on my two front USB 2.0 slots. It cannot power 2.5" external drives anymore. USB sticks and similar small things work. I suppose your USB slots might not have enough power output.

Windows has power control for USB media. Could be that it is causing this, too. In my case my front slots simply don't offer enough power anymore :<. Have to use the USB 2.0/3.0 at the back. On the front slots my drive tries to spin up and clicks out and tries to spin up and clicks out again and again. (clicks out - instant motor stop makes a click sound).

Does it happen on other computers and other OS?

Thanked by 3Mark_R netomx doghouch
  • @Hidden_Refuge said:
    I have this constantly on my two front USB 2.0 slots. It cannot power 2.5" external drives anymore. USB sticks and similar small things work. I suppose your USB slots might not have enough power output.

Windows has power control for USB media. Could be that it is causing this, too. In my case my front slots simply don't offer enough power anymore :<. Have to use the USB 2.0/3.0 at the back. On the front slots my drive tries to spin up and clicks out and tries to spin up and clicks out again and again. (clicks out - instant motor stop makes a click sound).

Does it happen on other computers and other OS?

Looks like the front usb is a no-go.

im going to plug it in at the back-end, hopefully that solves it.

• It might be about power profiles' usb power settings.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • Have you got a second os installed like debian to test it out if it's something OS related?

• run crystaldiskinfo

and first problem appears to be you are using windows 10, imo it's unstable atm especially with auto updates

• @erkin said:
    It might be about power profiles' usb power settings.

Disabling all power management right now

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited December 2015

Mark_R said: Disabling all power management right now

you need to change it in power settings too in control panel.

it's called "USB selective suspend"

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • AlajosAlajos Member
    edited December 2015

I had the same problem with a Medion Aldi external 1TB HDD on Windows 7. I haven't installed USB 3 drivers. With the drivers its perfect.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    it's called "USB selective suspend"

disabled it right now

• so far since my post at 4:14PM i have not encountered the reconnect issue, it appears to be resolved now.

if that changes i'll report back.

Thank you guys!

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2015

still smooth sailing.. i suspect it was windows 10 messing with my hardware device, i never had such issue before on windows 7.

i really like windows 10 a lot - it improves many things (specially finding the correct drivers) but issues like this just blow all positives right out of the window.

Another issue i encountered lately since ive been using windows 10 is that my PC never fully powers off when you choose to shut it down, my mouse is still glowing lights and my mobo + harddrive remains active too, turns out that this is a new 10 feature that they call 'fast startup', while in fact the pc always remains on and decreases hardware lifetime.

'Turn on fast startup (recommend)' option was enabled by default on a fresh installation. dont leave this enabled if you want your hardware to last for a while.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

They need to need know what you're running when you go to sleep. That's the microsoft experience.

Mark_R said: 'Turn on fast startup (recommend)' option was enabled by default on a fresh installation. dont leave this enabled if you want your hardware to last for a while.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @GM2015 said:
    They need to need know what you're running when you go to sleep. That's the microsoft experience.

its the same shit they pulled on my xbox one device, but there they call it 'instant on' ..

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

So if Microsoft sold arms and weapons, they'd give their explosives "Bomb on" features?

"Stay safe with Microsoft. Keep your bombs activated at all times. For your safety and at our leasure."

"Disclaimer: "Bomb On" features might go a little haywire at times, as it's still in experimental alpha. But you're safe."

Boom.

Mark_R said: its the same shit they pulled on my xbox one device, but there they call it 'instant on' ..

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @GM2015 said:
    So if Microsoft sold arms and weapons, they'd give their explosives "Bomb on" features?

"Stay safe with Microsoft. Keep your bombs activated at all times. For your safety and at our leasure."

"Disclaimer: "Bomb On" features might go a little haywire at times, as it's still in experimental alpha. But you're safe."

Boom.

You crack me up!

• Yeah, well microsoft would have to collect live data from test subjects! Like now from the majority of win 10 users.

Mark_R said: You crack me up!

• @GM2015 said:
    Yeah, well microsoft would have to collect live data from test subjects! Like now from the majority of win 10 users.

atleast on the xbox one you could choose on the first-time startup whenever you want instant-on (fast startup mode) enabled or not. i never had such choice in windows 10. people who do not know about this 'feature™' will be stuck with 'fast startup' enabled and have their hardware run 24/7 decreasing lifetime without knowing.

in times like this it is bad that Microsoft has no worthy competitor, right now they have the possibility to turn their OS into shit, no matter what we users think. its not like we have an proper alternative.. Linux? hah.. that's not even close to windows when it comes to ease of use, entertainment, compatibility (something the majority of people look for.) they know this.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

Linux is a free upgrade from windows! Actually you can get an upgrade(linux) on windows without installing a windows update! Just this updates wipes off windows too, hah!

Mark_R said: in times like this it is bad that Microsoft has no worthy competitor

I've only used linux for a few months as a dedicated work OS and it's so much better than windows. I can get simple stupid things done on linux via the terminal and scripting while on mikeysoft you have to google around for basic functions, like scheduled backups.

Mark_R said: its not like we have an proper alternative.. Linux?

ease of use, entertainment, compatibility.
    yeah that's why popcorn's so cool today and why it has been for thousands of years.

people want entertainment.

Mark_R said: ease of use, entertainment, compatibility

Anyway, win 10 looks a lot nicer than windows 7 from your screenshots. It's a pity what it has become with its "updates" and callback "features".

• @GM2015 said:

@GM2015 said:
    I can get simple stupid things done on linux via the terminal and scripting while on mikeysoft you have to google around for basic functions, like scheduled backups.

Isn't it the other way around? we have to google all Linux commands and in windows we can just simply select what we want done in a graphical user interface? its one of the main reasons many people choose windows over Linux, it saves time because windows takes care of the complicated stuff. but obviously, if you want to complicate things, you can use windows command prompt or powershell - its just like the old Linux terminal.

@GM2015 said:
    ease of use, entertainment, compatibility. yeah that's why popcorn's so cool today and why it has been for thousands of years.

people want entertainment.

I'd like some more.

@GM2015 said:
    Anyway, win 10 looks a lot nicer than windows 7 from your screenshots. It's a pity what it has become with its "updates" and callback "features".

Nothing is perfect i guess, we use what we got right? i just hope they will revert some of these idiotic design choices.

• Yeah. I agree about linux's need initially to google all commands. But the desktop has the same point and click solutions available(mostly) as windows.

I really liked windows 7, but don't trust win 10 to use it.

I've got 1 OEM preinstalled(whatever Microsoft calls these) windows 7 licence that came with the laptop I have. I could(maybe?) somehow upgrade it to 10. But maybe I won't. Still got some time until end of July to decide(end of free upgrade year).

Mark_R said: Nothing is perfect i guess, we use what we got right? i just hope they will revert some of these idiotic design choices.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

I do agree with what @gm2015 was saying. But, at first I hated when I upgraded from 7 to 10. Now its is OKish. I still prefer linux for everything but can't play that stupid game that I am addicted "World of Warships". I can hear my wife yelling at me again "Get off that game and come poke me with your torpedo sailor!" (Maybe one day she will say that! LOL)

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

Until that time, the beer drinking exercises continue.

PieNotEvenEaten said: "Get off that game and come poke me with your torpedo sailor!"
    PieNotEvenEaten said: 25 yrs of experience at drinking beer!

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • @GM2015 said:
    Yeah. I agree about linux's need initially to google all commands. But the desktop has the same point and click solutions available(mostly) as windows.

I really liked windows 7, but don't trust win 10 to use it.

I've got 1 OEM preinstalled(whatever Microsoft calls these) windows 7 licence that came with the laptop I have. I could(maybe?) somehow upgrade it to 10. But maybe I won't. Still got some time until end of July to decide(end of free upgrade year).

I believe it comes down to what matters most to you, if you use your PC for gaming and entertainment purposes then i'd recommend windows 10 - other than the issues mentioned here i had none. it works on old systems flawless too (got it installed on a old dualcore laptop aswel.)

Windows 10 feels more stable than 7, they definitely tweaked a few things under the hood. Instead of firefox im mainly using the new Edge browser aswel, it beats all browsers so far in performance and media playback! its good stuff.

If you need a new windows 10 pro key go here http://www.g2play.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/

I've bought it 2 times now and couldn't be more satisfied.

If you are not into gaming and multimedia applications then you should go with a Linux distro because they'll do just fine for all that other stuff.

• @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    I do agree with what gm2015 was saying. But, at first I hated when I upgraded from 7 to 10. Now its is OKish. I still prefer linux for everything but can't play that stupid game that I am addicted "World of Warships". I can hear my wife yelling at me again "Get off that game and come poke me with your torpedo sailor!" (Maybe one day she will say that! LOL)

if you are only using windows 10 for 1 specific game while preffering Linux then you definitely should consider making it work on Linux, maybe virtualizing windows in Linux for that game would work? torrent some portable windows version and import in virtualbox.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited December 2015

Haha, I tried windows 7 on linux in virtualbox and counter strike 1.6 was completely unplayable. The cross hair was more sensitive than a screaming woman.

Mark_R said: if you are only using windows 10 for 1 specific game while preffering Linux then you definitely should consider making it work on Linux, maybe virtualizing windows in Linux for that game would work? torrent some portable windows version and import in virtualbox.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited December 2015

Mark_R said: I believe it comes down to what matters most to you, if you use your PC for gaming and entertainment purposes then i'd recommend windows 10 - other than the issues mentioned here i had none. it works on old systems flawless too (got it installed on a old dualcore laptop aswel.)

Windows 10 feels more stable than 7, they definitely tweaked a few things under the hood. Instead of firefox im mainly using the new Edge browser aswel, it beats all browsers so far in performance and media playback! its good stuff.

If you need a new windows 10 pro key go here http://www.g2play.net/category/19429/windows-10-professional-oem-key/

I've bought it 2 times now and couldn't be more satisfied.

If you are not into gaming and multimedia applications then you should go with a Linux distro because they'll do just fine for all that other stuff.

You do realize there are TONS of game titles now produced for Linux? Also, I don't know what you use to play your videos, but VLC was originally created on Linux and it is what I used to watch videos on Windows or Linux. Your argument about not being able to game or use Linux for entertainment is obviously stated from a point of ignorance, if you spent the time to load a Linux system and become familiar with it, you would find MOST of the stuff you want to do can be done from Linux.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are some games only produced for Windows and obviously in that case you would have to use Windows. However, most big titles produced today are also released on Linux. Windows is no longer a requirement for gaming and hasn't been for a while.

I mean, be a Windows fan boy all you want, but don't make blanket statements about things you don't know or haven't even taken a moment of time to research. I accept your opinion, but I do not accept any of your statement as fact as you would like to imply.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• @TheLinuxBug said:

you'd be the last person i expected to get butthurt over my previous statement.

does Linux support directx yet?

edited December 2015

@Mark_R

Hey gamers! DirectX 11 is coming to Linux thanks to CodeWeavers and Wine!

How to install DirectX in Linux using Wine

BTW this took literally 45 seconds to google, thus further proving my point. Stop talking out your ass. :)

Cheers!

• Coming Soon™

anyways, on the more technical aspect - after a quick read it looks like a virtualization tech like wine is required to run these games. this will definitly be a problem on machines that aren't so powerful because virtualization will be leeching a lot of hardware resources away and then ontop of that you have to count in the resources required to run the game itself.

its great that directx will be working on Linux but this looks more like a quickpatch to make it run, not to make it run properly.

edited December 2015

Once again, the other thing you have missed here is they already directly produce a LARGE amount of games directly for Linux. A lot of the popular titles you play likely have a Linux version (well I don't know what you like to play, but Steam is a good example (store.steampowered.com/browse/linux/)).

In the case of the games being produced for Linux native you do not even need DirectX.

So while some titles may not have Linux candidates you will find most large titles do. Linux will not replace Windows for playing those other titles, yet, but your blanket statement earlier on was that you couldn't even play games or use Linux for entertainment purposes which is a completely false statement, hopefully you can see this now.

Cheers!