Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Erlang developers - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Erlang developers

2»

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

People seem to still be conversing and I don't see any spiral downward that would justify locking it. I'd leave it open, just my opinion. If someone else with the ability disagrees, not gonna argue it ;)

• if you are going to open a thread and then later on request it to be closed then you might aswel not open it in the first place. @drserver try some freelance sites, they most likely give better results for what you seek.

Thanked by 1drserver
  • Sorry guys !

But don't you think you are bashing this thread uselessly? He simply asked for erlang developers, why are you all so much disturbed with this simple request? I have seen many people post such requests earlier but rather than helping him people are mocking him.

Thanked by 2vimalware netomx
  • I see neither bashing nor mocking. People of LET just discussing things.

Thanked by 2jar ATHK
  • darknessends said: He simply asked for erlang developers, why are you all so much disturbed with this simple request?

Well, if you actually read the posts instead of assuming they're "useless bashing", you might know some of the reasons:

• no stated ballpark for pay
    • no stated details about the project (c'mon, you don't need a signed NDA to tell us the general field of the software project)
    • there's lots of websites out there specifically geared to this kind of thing (freelance/contract work)
  • @elwebmaster said:
    You get what you pay for. At least you know you are getting developers. A PHP "developer" is as much a developer as the toilet cleaner in McDonalds is a restaurant owner.

Come on, thats insulting. Just because a person knows php doesn't mean they suck at programming. I am a 5+ year php dev, but know a ton of other languages so that implies I am not skilled at my job.

• @pcfreak30 said:
    Come on, thats insulting. Just because a person knows php doesn't mean they suck at programming. I am a 5+ year php dev, but know a ton of other languages so that implies I am not skilled at my job.

I am not saying that one can't write quality code in PHP, one sure can, there are frameworks which follow best practices and encourage you to use good things such as DI. But do most "cheap" PHP coders use such frameworks and follow said best practices?

That's why I am saying you get what you pay for, at least with Erlang you can be sure you are getting a decent programmer, not some noob "WordPress expert" with "10 years SEO experience".

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited December 2015

@deadbeef said:

Couch warriers? remove all professionalism = you're so SAA-AAA-AAA-LTT-TTY deadbeef!!

• @elwebmaster said:
    That's why I am saying you get what you pay for, at least with Erlang you can be sure you are getting a decent programmer, not some noob "WordPress expert" with "10 years SEO experience".

Ok, I understand. What you said was general enough to be insulting to everyone so please word your statements better next time :).

• @drserver: out of curiosity, are you intending to build a phoenix-based web app or even that you can't tell without the NDA? :)

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

My guess is VoIP,

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited December 2015

I'm sick of providers whinging when people have discussions on a discussion board.

They get to post free ads. If they make a little effort with their ads they can avoid most of the trolling. People talking in their thread then keeps it visible for longer - but no need to thank the contributors for their time.

Seriously - if you want to stick your message in someone's face with no risk of people

• shock horror - talking about it then you can buy an advert or use a site (probably for money) that's geared towards recruitment or whatever you're looking for.

If you do want to use LET for free advertising/recruitment/whatever (which you are entirely free to) do your self/brand a favour and at least fake a little bit of interest in the community by participating in discussion(s) and not whinging at people for discussing stuff.

Tl; dr - this is a discussion board not a free advertising/recruitment/tech support service for providers, get over it.

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

@qrwteyrutiyoup said: out of curiosity, are you intending to build a phoenix-based web app or even that you can't tell without the NDA? :)

feature addons and maintaining one of most popular mobile chat app on android and ios platform

• I bet something releated to ejabberd.

• Whatsapp uses erlang.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited December 2015

@creep said:
    i tried that once when i was a waiter the customer wanted a coffee and i asked "how about coke?". he showed a middle finger and i resigned the other day.

Not only stupid, but worthless as well. Makes perfect sense you can't understand the function of a forum.

• Most decent Erlang programmers, of which there are only a handful, are tied up in long term contracts with people like Ericsson and Nokia.

Both use them in their voice switches, Nokia is still maintaining its old DX220 switch and the DACS variant. They are offering salaries of €200k+ for Erlang developers.

Its going to be a hard sell to get a decent Erlang programmer to work for less, given the benefits that companies like Ericsson and Nokia and offer.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

MarkTurner said: people like Ericsson and Nokia.

And Amazon, as Erlang is used in some of their DB offerings (SimpleDB or DocumentDB, I forget which).

MarkTurner said: Its going to be a hard sell to get a decent Erlang programmer to work for less, given the benefits that companies like Ericsson and Nokia and offer.

Yup.

• @rds100 said:
    Whatsapp uses erlang.

Big companies (at least those with non-awful reputations) have the most to gain by attaching their brand to a job post and, if offering generous compensation, disclosing it, along with any other details that are both attractive and really not trade secrets.

Non-profits come in a close second. At least to me. I've worked well below my normal pay rate for causes that interest me, including some pro bono stuff.

• Erlang made Immutability and hot-code reload easily accessible, but when a platform/language is no longer hot for whatever reason, it falls into disuse and fixes/features no longer make it out to the public domain.

These design principles are only now gathering steam in Javascript - React/Flux/Meteor. There was this nice article mentioned in HN blog.yld.io/2015/11/30/building-realtime-collaborative-offline-first-apps-with-react-redux-pouchdb-and-web-sockets/.

I think Rust is also aimed at the same target audience, even if its too early to use in production - maybe a year or two down the line.

Thanked by 1vimalware