Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Erlang developers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Erlang developers

drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Hi guys and girls,

I am looking for Erlang developers for full time remote job.
Please send me your CVs with code examples.

Thank you.

Comments

• No more details than that? Unless you're looking for entry level grunt coders, you'd do well to give some information that makes the job look attractive. Including the pay rate.

• Pay is going to be critical and also the type of work. I know a decent Erlang programmer, but he's not cheap, but ex-Ericsson development. Last time I used him he was charging €150/hour.

Thanked by 2deadbeef netomx
  • jhjh Member

You need to provide some context and a rate roughly in line with the comment above. If you're looking for a junior Erlang developer (if there is such a thing), the university where I research/teach has half decent a module in Erlang/functional programming so there are some "low end" ones available!

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2015

I am aware that this will not be cheap. I am not trying to find 5usd per hour erlang developer. For all other questions PM me, after we sign NDA we can discuss details.

• @drserver said:
    I am aware that this will not be cheap. I am trying to find 5usd per hour erlang developer.

You forgot a not in the second sentence, right?

Thanked by 1jh

NeoXiD said: You forgot a not in the second sentence, right?

Fixed,

sorry a bit overworked, i cant see screen any more :)

Thanked by 2NeoXiD netomx
  • @drserver said:
    I am aware that this will not be cheap. I am not trying to find 5usd per hour erlang developer.

Based on the way you're approaching this, though, it isn't clear what you are trying to find. No idea if it's for 3 weeks or 3 years. No idea if it's for saving the world or for wiping out humanity. If you're actually looking for an expert, these sorts of things matter to us.

edited December 2015

@impossiblystupid said: Based on the way you're approaching this, though, it isn't clear what you are trying to find. No idea if it's for 3 weeks or 3 years. No idea if it's for saving the world or for wiping out humanity. If you're actually looking for an expert, these sorts of things matter to us.

Ok, to clarify,

Minimum contract duration - 1y
    Working from home or from our Swiss or Croatia office
    Salary paid weekly or monthly, really same to me
    Payment methods: whatever you like, bank transfer preferable

What i want from you:
    Fluent English
    Ability to work in team
    Ability to do pair programming with person with less skills
    Actual erlang experience with some code to demo.

Anything else that you want to know, please pm me so we can discuss it over Skype or over phone. For future explanations NDA is required.

• drserver said: Ability to do pair programming with person with less skills

Not that I know Erlang, but this would definitively exclude me. Especially if I would also be receiving the blame for not meeting deadlines because I got bogged down answering a lot of stupid questions.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited December 2015

Out of curiosity, why Erlang? If it is not work over an existing project I would be interested to hear why Erlang was chosen.

Edit: fixed a typo that was confusing the meaning

• deadbeef said: interested to hear why Erlang was chosen

Same here. You might be setting yourself up for some maintenance issues. Or do you just want to set a lower bound on background in distributed-systems?

Thanked by 2vimalware GCat
  • BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

Well lets just say system is developed on Erlang, so you'll be developing further based on instructions given.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • deadbeef said: If it is not work over an existing project I would be interested to hear why Erlang was chosen.

Obviously existing, no one sane would use erlang for anything new.

Thanked by 3GCat netomx k0nsl
  • @singsing said:
    [pair programming] would definitively exclude me.

I'd generally be flexible on such things, provided the client is offering more to compensate for the hassles involved. But I'm still not seeing a pay rate, so I'm assuming it's all just a wild goose chase.

• BharatB said: Well lets just say system is developed on Erlang, so you'll be developing further based on instructions given.

If the instruction is "convert to a reasonable language" I'd consider it.

edited December 2015

@GCat said:
    If the instruction is "convert to a reasonable language" I'd consider it.

The project is like too integrated to convert at this point of time and management will surely not agree, so basically as the post suggests we're looking for developers and nothing else.

Pay rate depends on your performance really. That's all we can say at this point of time.

• BharatB said: The project is like too integrated to convert at this point of time and management will surely not agree, so basically as the post suggests we're looking for developers and nothing else.

in the long haul, it's probably best to just re-write it all, because let's face it, the likelyhood of finding erlang devs right now, is lower than other lang devs.

• by that logic, everything would be in php today and Python by next week.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Erlang is good and stable. Popular in telco systems. One of the few languages which allows you to write apps which can be upgraded without restart. We charge 400€ per day for senior developer.

• @William said:
    Obviously existing, no one sane would use erlang for anything new.

I don't understand this attitude which is common in this thread. Erlang is a great language / runtime and used in a lot of popular systems. RabbitMQ, Riak and CouchDB, game servers, whatsapp, etc.

This is apparently a poor place to advertise, but using erlang is an advantage in hiring as there are more talented people interested in writing erlang than there are erlang jobs. This is the case with most interesting niche languages.

• cgag said: there are more talented people interested in writing erlang than there are erlang jobs

Yes, but most of these talented people you wouldn't want near your production code. Their solution to everything is to increase the level of abstraction. This is why they actually like Erlang. You want a programmer who doesn't like Erlang, and will make the code read as much like the equivalent Java code as possible.

this tread can be closed. thank you

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited December 2015

@drserver said:
    this tread can be closed. thank you

Let me help you with that.

@mpkossen

@jarland

• Hate when people keep asking "why erlang". Put that this way "why your name is [your real name". Be helpful rather than a fool.

• cgag said: I don't understand this attitude which is common in this thread. Erlang is a great language / runtime and used in a lot of popular systems. RabbitMQ, Riak and CouchDB, game servers, whatsapp, etc.

Erlang per se is not bad, yes, it has however issues you can't really circumvent - very expensive and rare developers being one of them.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited December 2015

@creep said:
    Hate when people keep asking "why erlang".

Glad I made you unhappy. If you ever make it to the 70+ IQ club, you'll figure out that in a forum it makes perfect sense for people to ask questions instead of pretending to be know-it-all couch warriors.

Thanked by 2doghouch ATHK
  • @deadbeef said:

heck an idiot would even know when to ask question. OP clearly wants erlang dev dont even try with "how about java". stop hijacking thread and be helpful.

i tried that once when i was a waiter the customer wanted a coffee and i asked "how about coke?". he showed a middle finger and i resigned the other day.

• @William said:
    Erlang per se is not bad, yes, it has however issues you can't really circumvent - very expensive and rare developers being one of them.

You get what you pay for. At least you know you are getting developers. A PHP "developer" is as much a developer as the toilet cleaner in McDonalds is a restaurant owner.

• @BharatB said:
    Pay rate depends on your performance really. That's all we can say at this point of time.

In my experience, keeping basic things like this secret at the beginning stages of a project makes for a poor outcome. If you're really looking to collaborate with people who can get things done, you should rethink your strategy.

The thread has been requested to be closed. I'd no longer like to comment.

@jarland / @mpkossen Please do the needful