Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What could I use my old computer for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What could I use my old computer for?

I have an amd 3200 that I don't use any more. I've always thought I can put it to good use somehow but haven't thought of how.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• It has 89W TDP apparently, which is way too much for a home server that is always on. If it was an Atom CPU with <<5W TDP ..

• Donate it to a nearby school or charity.

Thanked by 1cociu
  • Store passwords. Do not connect it to any networks.

Thanked by 1Hassan
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

sell it on ebay or store some backups on it and power it off

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Use a KVM and designate some tasks to the other one. I do that. At least 3 computers running at all times and have for decades. I can't imagine what it would be like to do everything on a single machine.

• Does anyone else remember the guy with the old man with a walking stick in his image? The one who got banned? This guy asks exactly the same questions as him.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Leave us noobs alone.

0xdragon said: Does anyone else remember the guy with the old man with a walking stick in his image? The one who got banned? This guy asks exactly the same questions as him.

• @GM2015 said:
    Leave us noobs alone.

But... But....

• pfSense router :D

• booobs

• christmas present

• Teach your dog to code.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@PremiumN said:
    Store passwords. Do not connect it to any networks.

Not too bad of an idea... hmm

• Hassan said: Not too bad of an idea... hmm

I have a box running MS-DOS 6.22 which I use for that. Although it connects well to the network, it runs no servers automatically. It's a veritable Fort Knox.

• A heater, with some computing on the side

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
  • Disassemble the parts that you are interested in all the way to smallest parts.

• On demand NAS. On demand as in when you need it, turn it on, otherwise leave it off.

Or just use it as a foot warmer, AMD CPUs are HOT!

Thanked by 1Hassan
  • Did someone say warmer? I have an always-on Linux box here with an Intel Pentium 4 670 3.8 GHz. Minimum/Maximum power dissipation 81.78 Watt (Stop Grant mode) / 148.16 Watt. I'll probably replace it one of these days, but it was part of a semi-vintage just-for-fun project of upgrading a 915 board to the max now that the 670 has gone down from its original $851 price tag to about $5.

PS: It's currently 15°C (just under 60°F) where I'm sitting, so a dozen more of these would actually be welcome.

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • @Ole_Juul said:

You know a better way to store passwords?
    All humans come with a brain, and since the human brain has an estimated of 2.5 petabytes, and cannot be accessed externally by others, it is probably rhe safest place to have a password... or, we could write it on paper and throw it in a fireproof/waterproof safe, then proceed to tossing the keys out ;)

• @4n0nx said:
    It has 89W TDP apparently, which is way too much for a home server that is always on. If it was an Atom CPU with <<5W TDP ..

My one computer that is always on is 130 TDP would like to replace with newer rack mount stuff, but haven't found anything I really want.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Target practice like I did with a broke iPhone

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • CFarence said: My one computer that is always on is 130 TDP would like to replace with newer rack mount stuff, but haven't found anything I really want.

I pay 17c/kWh :( My home server electricity (consumes very little) would pay for a kidéchire, with about equal specs and much better connectivity..-.-

• 4n0nx said: 17c/kWh

That's way too much. My power utility company charges $0.08/kWh.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited December 2015

@Ole_Juul

Indeed, pretty much all the power would end up as thermal output. When living in Canada (with fairly cheap electricity), I was toying with the idea of setting up some computation in the basement which'd help heat the house in cold winter months. Didn't bother as hosting/renting hardware was cheaper (and didn't do the sums for heating savings).

Someone had an idea recently to scale that across lots of houses using/replacing their heating systems, perhaps to do large scale computing like protein folding.

I'm not all up to scratch on my physics, but I'm fairly sure the heat generated itself is cost effective compared to a radiator as all 'work' eventually ends up as heat.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • I always received complaints about my old Pentium 4 causing a lot of heat during summers.

Of course they didn't complain during winter.

• rajprakash said: That's way too much.

It is already considered very low for Germany, I only get it so "cheap" because I hop from one discount to the next. Average is 0.25€ apparently, + monthly administrative fee or something.

• GM2015 said: I always received complaints about my old Pentium 4 causing a lot of heat during summers.

Of course they didn't complain during winter.

Yeah I switched to LED light bulbs and now the winters are very cold...