Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

149 euros setup-fee for a 'low end' dedicated server.....
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

149 euros setup-fee for a 'low end' dedicated server.....

FreekFreek Member
edited December 2012 in General

A great way to compensate for your (too) low (unprofitable) prices: Charge a setup-fee of 149 euros!
http://www.server4you.net/root-server/server-details.php?products=0
ProTip: Hide it in a small font at the bottom of the page in almost the same color as your background.
Happy Holidays ;) !

Comments

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

Meh, at least they have a € 10.00/mo option, which they might as well just add to the price

• The set-up fee is mentioned directly under the monthly rate.

• @Hassan_Reverse said: Meh, at least they have a € 10.00/mo option, which they might as well just add to the price

Makes no sense to me if the server itself is just 18.99 euros

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@Freek said: Makes no sense to me if the server itself is just 18.99 euros

Exactly lol

• @Freek said: Hide it in a small font at the bottom of the page in almost the same color as your background.

Huh?

• They have to set it up every month

• It's ok pricing I guess. Dual Xeon for £40 on eBay would outperform it though. But then I highly doubt these are single chassis and probably multi node chassis.

If your looking for a similar deal without setup fee drop me a message.

• $37/mo isn't lowend?

• Holy ^%&^%&^%& that is one expensive piece of hardware you have found there. That must be one of those new fang dangle ones that is faster then the speed of light. < sarcasm> Might have to get me two of those right after I purchase three Porsche and four Hope Diamonds. </ sarcasm>

• Want a proper lowend server without setup fee?

Look at this: https://robot.your-server.de/order/market

Intel Core i7 965, 12 GB RAM, 3 x 1,5 TB HDDs, 100 Mbit/s, 5TB/mo BW for only 50€/mo.

• why is that setup fee so bad? Normal colo will cost your more than that. Not so terrible in my opinion.

• coloing that server costs would kill you unless you have your own cage.

• Very cool @Nevil, some good deals there!

• Lol I overlooked that. I meant this:

@Jacob said: If your looking for a similar deal without setup fee drop me a message.

Message dropped ;)

@Corey said: $37/mo isn't lowend?

18.99 euros for a dedicated server is lowend right?

@Nevil said: Want a proper lowend server without setup fee?

Look at this: https://robot.your-server.de/order/market

Yeah I know, it's Hetzner's :) Some nice deals there in the low-end rage as well!

@24khost said: why is that setup fee so bad? Normal colo will cost your more than that. Not so terrible in my opinion.

Because OVH charges 0 euros? If they want to compete with OVH, they should do so properly.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited December 2012

@Freek said: Because OVH charges 0 euros? If they want to compete with OVH, they should do so properly.

Why do they have to beat or match OVH price to compete with them?

@Freek said: 18.99 euros for a dedicated server is lowend right?

I was asking why you thought $37/mo with the added setup fee is not low end.

• @Corey said: Why do they have to beat or match OVH price to compete with them?

Well IMHO if you are trying to target OVH customers, price is a main selling point. I feel they know that as well, since their initial price is very good. But that stupid setup-fee is a total dealbreaker. I mean 149 dollars? What are they going to do? Custom build it and spraypaint a nice logo on it? Seriously.

@Corey said: I was asking why you thought $37/mo with the added setup fee is not low end.

Oh I thought you were saying 37 mo is not low end ;)

• @Freek said: @Corey said: Why do they have to beat or match OVH price to compete with them?

Well IMHO if you are trying to target OVH customers, price is a main selling point. I feel they know that as well, since their initial price is very good. But that stupid setup-fee is a total dealbreaker. I mean 149 dollars? What are they going to do? Custom build it and spraypaint a nice logo on it? Seriously.

@Corey said: I was asking why you thought $37/mo with the added setup fee is not low end.

Oh I thought you were saying 37 mo is not low end ;)

So you agree then that $37/mo is low end :) Meaning that what you are griping about is pretty moot.

• @Corey said: So you agree then that $37/mo is low end :) Meaning that what you are griping about is pretty moot.

I just don't like hidden costs!
    Here buy my car! It's just 100 euros but it'll cost you 2500 euros delivery costs.

• @Freek said: I just don't like hidden costs!

Here buy my car! It's just 100 euros but it'll cost you 2500 euros delivery costs.

It wasn't hidden, it was pointed out that it was right below the price! :)

(we don't or won't do this... we'll just include it in the price)

• 18.99 a month but then +10 more a month for "setup" fees.

That's rubbish.

• There are no hidden costs, they're upfront and have always been upfront about it.

You're complaining about basically nothing. And OVH only removed their setup fee 8-9 months ago, before that, it used to be 49 euros regardless the server.

But I find nothing wrong with charging a setup fee to make up for the hardware cost ('ROI'), and complaining about it is, frankly, pretty childish.

• well, i think this setup fee is much better than fees built into the price. If you are thinking in long-term, the 149 euro is better than +10/month (as i think that +10 is for lifetime, while the 149 e is one time fee). After 14 months, you are better with the one time option. It is good for example vps resellers with yearly payment packages.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited December 2012

"AMD Athlon™ X2

Quantity Dual-Core
    Clock Rate 2x 1.8 GHz"

translation: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core TK-55 (cpu benchmark of 854) for €29 monthly (including the €10 monthly setup)

Hetzner's serverbidding usually has AMD Athlon 64 5600+ X2 (cpu benchmark 1500) w/4GB ram, 2x400GB or 2x500GB HD's for around 25.00 € vat inclusive (or 21.00 € if you're in a non-EU country) and no setup fee

"why is that setup fee so bad?"

because you can get a server that's twice as powerful at Hetzner and pay 0 setup vs €149?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012

You can choose to pay the setup fee, or have them absorb it for a monthly extra cost (which is the default for for example hetzner). What is the problem?

@DomainBop Do you really think Hetzner didn't include the setup fee in their monthly pricing?

• @Wintereise said: You're complaining about basically nothing

Oh really? €149 is nothing :D

PS: http://www.careerbuilder.com/

What's your point? Those two don't add up.

@joepie91 said: @DomainBop Do you really think Hetzner didn't include the setup fee in their monthly pricing?

Sure and that's the point; No extra fees :)

@joepie91 said: What is the problem?

Where is this number based upon? 149 euros?

• This is hopeless...

Yes, 149 is indeed nothing when you're thinking long term. They need to make money too, it's not a charity.

• 149 euros to setup something you are not even sure if will work or not :)

• I've read more than enough of these types of threads over the years. What's the real point of these threads? Businesses are free to set their prices however they choose. And, you as a customer, are free to choose what to pay and to whom.

With that said, what's the point of coming to a forum to bitch and moan about the prices of company X compared to company Y? If you're so happy with what company Y has to offer, why not simply go sign-up with them and be done with it?

If you're not happy with something (i.e. pricing) of one company, simply keep searching until you find one which is more in-line with your needs/wants. But, do you actually feel so self-entitled to expect a company to change their pricing methodologies to suit your own desires?

All of that aside, I do agree that if a business buries true costs/prices that there's an issue which people should be made aware of. However, if a business is upfront about their pricing, then these threads are more-or-less useless.