Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delimiter Slot Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Delimiter Slot Hosting

WeblogicsWeblogics Member
edited November 2015 in Providers

Has anyone tried Delimiter's Slot Hosting Service?

Looks like a good way to consolidate my many online storage backups into one location for a decent price then have the drive shipped back to me.

Comments?

Comments

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited November 2015

http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/slothosting if you don't feel like feeding google analytics.

they've got some deal on it until monday maybe. oh, wait that's for object storage.

Or give Mark some fun at google.com/analytics.
    http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/slothosting?utm_source=insanity&utm_medium=WTF&utm_campaign=DOOOOOOOONT__LOOOK_AT_ANALYTICS

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited November 2015

i wonder if they offer S.M.A.R.T on these services. maybe someone could confirm>

• @GM2015 said:
    http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/slothosting if you don't feel like feeding google analytics.

Thanks. Fixed the link.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Feed feed feed the analytics but not Google, these get funneled into Woopra

Weblogics said: Looks like a good way to consolidate my many online storage backups into one location for a decent price then have the drive shipped back to me.

I use the service (I work for Delimiter's parent company) so that I have some non-local backup. It works well, it uses device pass-through so you can use software RAID, choose your OS, install Windows and mount in there, etc.

You want to use a NEW disk, some customers bought some trashy 100th hand disks off Ebay and they arrived dead. If you're ordering annually then Delimiter can order this for you from Amazon.

Each disk has a dedicated SATA connection, none of this expander rubbish, 6GB devices will sync at 6GB.

• @MarkTurner no BF/CM deal on those ones I guess?

• spammy said: @MarkTurner no BF/CM deal on those ones I guess?

Nothing so far, I don't think there will be - its a very low margin product.

Thanked by 1spammy
  • @MarkTurner

what about S.M.A.R.T ?

• What does slot hosting mean?

• TarZZ92 said: what about S.M.A.R.T ?

smartctl -A /dev/vdb

smartctl 6.2 2013-07-26 r3841 [x86_64-linux-3.13.0-24-generic] (local build)

Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

/dev/vdb: Unable to detect device type

Please specify device type with the -d option.

Doesn't work off the bat, I assume thats because KVM is presenting the device as a VirtIO device.

• sterile said: What does slot hosting mean?

See it like disk colo, you rent a slot in a server and colo your disk in there.

• @MarkTurner

Any chance for a customization on the RAM and CPU? I would like to give the OS a minimum of 1.5 GB RAM and another CPU core if possible. Of course, I am willing to pay for this.

• Weblogics said: Any chance for a customization on the RAM and CPU? I would like to give the OS a minimum of 1.5 GB RAM and another CPU core if possible. Of course, I am willing to pay for this.

Just order 2 slots and ask for them to be merged

• Just registered to comment.
    I use Delimiter slot hosting, and am very happy! I get great speeds, its located in Atlanta, which is close to me in Myrtle Beach, SC.

I purchased the annual plan for $100. I had this drive directly shipped to them. I also recently ordered this 6TB from Jet.com for $138, and am considering shipping them another and having it combined. Some good black friday / cyber monday deals out there for large drives; just be careful to watch out for SMR drives, where you may run into some problems.

I also have a dedicated server with them ($16/mo! - paid yearly); and I just ordered another ($20/mo - paid quarterly) for a new business venture.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@MarkTurner,

Any chance of Slot Hosting coming to the EU? Would make an awesome little way to back my servers up. Get an 8TB disk in there and be done with it.

Thanked by 1drazilox
  • LogicX said: Just registered to comment. I use Delimiter slot hosting, and am very happy!

Thanks for your feedback! Its always appreciated

• hawc said: Any chance of Slot Hosting coming to the EU? Would make an awesome little way to back my servers up. Get an 8TB disk in there and be done with it.

Its not cost effective. We were toying with the idea of pre-populated storage, so we're prepare a server with 6 or 8TB disks that the customer would buy and then be able to request return.

But we need to fine tune the logistics in Atlanta first before we scale it out.

• Is it just 1Tb of bandwidth?

• nitro85 said: Is it just 1Tb of bandwidth?

Its actually 4TB but the landing page was not updated

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @LogicX said:
    I purchased the annual plan for $100. I had this drive directly shipped to them.

I also purchased the annual plan, and shipped them the same 6tb hard drive a few months ago, and its been great!

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • @MarkTurner does it comes with any USB port to expand the storage space even further? If it does is does, does it have to be self-powered?

• spammy said: does it comes with any USB port to expand the storage space even further? If it does is does, does it have to be self-powered?

Its bare disks only - they get put into a disk tray and loaded into the server.

• So, is it possible to have the drive shipped back? What's the charge for that? And charge for sending it back to the DC again?

• Currently I am using slot hosting for backups, and it does it job. There has been a few blips, but for the price it is great.

• singsing said: So, is it possible to have the drive shipped back? What's the charge for that? And charge for sending it back to the DC again?

Its $25 to have the disk unracked, packaged and boxed for return. You send a pre-paid shipping label for Fedex/UPS.

• Mun said: There has been a few blips,

What issues have you had?

• @MarkTurner said:
    What issues have you had?

Had one server crash (at least I think it was a crash) and had to do a fsck on the hard drive.

A few network blips where the server appeared offline for less then a minute.

The issue I had, which you resolved, with slow network.

To say the service is bad because of these issues would be untrue. I find that these are normal parts of IT life. In all actuality, service has been pretty great.

Thanked by 1MarkTurner
  • Mun said: The issue I had, which you resolved, with slow network.

If I remember rightly, there was a bad interface card on the box you're one. That got replaced and should have ended any network issues.

Mun said: In all actuality, service has been pretty great.

Good!

• The more I look at Delimiter service, the more I like them...

Can HDDs/SSHDs be ordered "on side of" Delimiter for additional fee, instead of sending them?

Thanked by 2MarkTurner netomx
  • Master_Bo said: Can HDDs/SSHDs be ordered "on side of" Delimiter for additional fee, instead of sending them?

If you're ordering annually, then Delimiter can order the disk on your behalf from Amazon. There is no markup for this.

• What's everyone's experience with this?...
    If it works great. I might actually put a bunch of content on one disk and have it for plex.

I'm still looking into I'd having a spare laptop running all the time if energy efficient enough right now.