Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poor Customer Support at a Datacenter, but locked into contract. What to do? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Poor Customer Support at a Datacenter, but locked into contract. What to do?

Comments

• William said: It is not pure Zayo, i probably know the /23 involved (because it is now mine) - it's the DCs blend.

Its not Zayo. So if you now own it, can you not revoke the LOA send it to CoreXchange and then chase it.

• MarkTurner said: Its not Zayo. So if you now own it, can you not revoke the LOA send it to CoreXchange and then chase it.

Last time someone I know revoked the LOA to corex it took them 15 days to process the revocation.

• @Nekki said:
    BURN IT TO THE GROUND

you mean replace the RAM chips in the server with fireworks and a bunch of gunpowder + a few packs of C4

• I love this thread. This is what I expected from LET (Lead Engineer Talk). This is what our forum should be.

Yes, we are sometimes competing harshly but we help each other for the benefit of all. :)

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited November 2015

MarkTurner said: The question is whether its contractually considered 'shitty support' or whether its contractually considered acceptable.

If it can be determined to be below contract level then you have to give them notice to remedy it.

But only if that's mentioned in the contract. By default, following a serious (i.e., "repudiatory" breach), the other party may treat the contract as at an end (provided further conduct is consistent with this election).

http://www.wragge-law.com/insights/2010/sep/before-you-charge-in-part-9-at-the-heart-of-it-repudiatory-breaches-and-termination/

However, absent explicit provisions in the contract for technical support timeframes that were not met, it would appear hard to argue that a repudiatory breach is caused by "shtty support" alone.

• Is this actually a case of "shitty support", or is it really a matter of not providing the paid for service?

• Ole_Juul said: Is this actually a case of "shitty support", or is it really a matter of not providing the paid for service?

Having leafed through the tickets, it looks like some of the blame could fairly be assigned to OP. For example:

• OP kept heaping more requests into the same ticket thread, which makes it harder to keep track of what has been done. He should've made separate tickets for prefixes he decided he wanted removed at separate points in time.

• OP gave them a wildcard pattern instead of a complete list of prefixes.

• OP was asked to "please check if this is the case" and he said "yes [done thanks]", which itself took him the better part of an hour, and he didn't notice there was a problem until the next day.

OP is right only to the extent that they ignored him for two business days at the outset of this support ticket adventure.

• armindsarminds Member, Host Rep

Had the same issue but my servers were on Single colo for each. So I moved out easily to Dacentec.

Their support became awful after Zayo took over and they kept increasing prices and adding taxes. They don't care about low end customers at all.

By the way, they have one in their staff called Corey too :)

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited November 2015

singsing said: Having leafed through the tickets, it looks like some of the blame could fairly be assigned to OP. For example:

OP kept heaping more requests into the same ticket thread, which makes it harder to keep track of what has been done. He should've made separate tickets for prefixes he decided he wanted removed at separate points in time.

After the first two days of no response I added more ranges to the ticket to be unannounced, they then took an additional day with no response and I had to update the ticket to see wtf was going on and why there wasn't a response.

OP gave them a wildcard pattern instead of a complete list of prefixes.

One of the ranges was wildcard because I updated that from my mobile and couldn't remember the exact range, how can they not tell what range that was in their system? You have to be pretty damn stupid to not be able to see the only range that starts with XXX with this customer needs to be removed. In addition to that, they didn't tell me that the range wasn't removed because it was wildcard, they just left it undone.

OP was asked to "please check if this is the case" and he said "yes [done thanks]", which itself took him the better part of an hour, and he didn't notice there was a problem until the next day.

I didn't notice they didn't complete the ticket, how is it my fault that they didn't complete the ticket? How can you defend them only half completing a ticket?

OP is right only to the extent that they ignored him for two business days at the outset of this support ticket adventure.

They ignored me for 3 days. Then ignored me when I told them not all of it was done and I had to update the ticket several times and then give them a call before they took a look at my ticket.
    Their support is supposed to be 24/7 by onsite network operations. I'm now having to wait until Monday (2-3 additional days) for this request to be completed.

This request is STILL not completed.

• Corey said: I didn't notice they didn't complete the ticket, how is it my fault that they didn't complete the ticket? How can you defend them only half completing a ticket?

Well, apart from the two business day delay, which I admitted sucked, there's not much in terms of delay on their part, it looks more like honest mistake compounded by your failure to act efficiently in terms of helping them help you.

• Corey said: I updated that from my mobile and couldn't remember the exact range, how can they not tell what range that was in their system?

Perhaps using a mobile for professional work has something to do with it? :)

Corey said: I didn't notice they didn't complete the ticket,

See what I mean?

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited November 2015

singsing said: Well, apart from the two business day delay, which I admitted sucked, there's not much in terms of delay on their part, it looks more like honest mistake compounded by your failure to act efficiently in terms of helping them help you.

Where are you getting 2 days from? It was 3 days.. and now the ticket still isn't complete. 15th to the 23rd for something that takes 15 minutes or less to do. That's 8 days. How can you justify 8 days on this ticket?

Like I said, this is only one example, would you like me to bring up more examples?

Ole_Juul said: Perhaps using a mobile for professional work has something to do with it? :)

Sorry I fail to see how using my mobile has anything to do with it. Who the hell is ALWAYS at their computer?

Ole_Juul said: Corey said: I didn't notice they didn't complete the ticket,

See what I mean?

Yea I wasn't using the range anywhere else so how was I supposed to know they didn't complete the ticket, how is it my fault they didn't complete the ticket?

• Corey said: Sorry I fail to see how using my mobile has anything to do with it.

I also fail to see how that has any relevance. You don't have your IP prefixes stored in Google Docs or something that you can look up on your mobile?

Corey said: Where are you getting 2 days from? It was 3 days.. and now the ticket still isn't complete.

Absent clear evidence that you're supposed to receive this type of service on weekends, I'm assuming only business days count. They ignored you Mon and Tue and they "completed" it (or thought they did) on Wed, early afternoon.

Corey said: how was I supposed to know they didn't complete the ticket

By plugging the prefix into a looking glass server. "How was I supposed to know the bank was being robbed?"

• singsing said: By plugging the prefix into a looking glass server. "How was I supposed to know the bank was being robbed?"

I'm going to assume you are just trolling now :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Corey said: Who the hell is ALWAYS at their computer?

A professional who makes his living with computers perhaps? I do understand how you need to do some other things sometimes but it would appear that in this case the mobile didn't work for you.

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

Your dissatisfaction with Zayo's handling of your request to remove prefix announcements probably does not breach the agreement with them and probably does not give you a reason to terminate the contract early.

You could pack up your gear and move somewhere else, but Zayo will probably come after you for the balance of payments due under your contract whether or not you are using the services.

Since network work is a bit more specialized than general support, most data centers only have a small number of employees relative to the total size of their staff that can do prefix list updates, and most of the time they only work on the day shift during the week. Prefix list updates are generally not high on their list.

Next time go into a carrier neutral data center. Run your own network with connectivity direct to transit providers. Transit providers are generally a bit easier to deal with, and many of them have automated prefix updates based on entries in routing registry databases (RADB, ALTDB, ARIN, etc).

Anyway, it sucks, but you probably should just ride it out and try to make a better decision when your contract is up.

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • you could talk to them over a vpn, and maybe they will deny you like qps does.

• you should check the contract, it must have a clause there where you can break it off for bad service, most providers have it. You can also go the company buyout route, you started the contract with another company not Zayo, so you should have a legal right to terminate it. Probably check your state's laws

• @Ole_Juul said:
    A professional who makes his living with computers perhaps? I do understand how you need to do some other things sometimes but it would appear that in this case the mobile didn't work for you.

Sorry but that's just silly. Even then you're not at a computer ALL the time.

• smansman Member
    edited November 2015

Not impressed with anything Zayo touches. Why such a long contract?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@sman said:

To get the price down I guess.

• @Corey have you called them up and shouted obscenities at them yet? that's how I picture you dealing with this

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • sman said: Not impressed with anything Zayo touches. Why such a long contract?

I was happy with corexchange and signed this contract with corex. Zayo stepped in and the transition seemed seemless for the first X days that they allowed so I went forward with Zayo.

• JoeMerit said: @Corey have you called them up and shouted obscenities at them yet? that's how I picture you dealing with this

No I called them and told them I needed that ticket completed within the next 30 minutes on Friday and the support operator actually told me that 'he couldnt promise anything but he would call the network guys'.

I said "wait what? how can you not promise anything?", he said "well our network guy that is on duty has to manage at least 6 other locations so hes quite busy".

• @corey best thing you can do now is to setup you own network inside zayo till the end of the contract that will give you control in this issue
    other than prefix incident do you have any other problem

• Corey said: No I called them and told them I needed that ticket completed within the next 30 minutes on Friday

And you agreed to pay for that, right?

Else i see no reason why they would do that, you likely signed a shitty contract without real SLAs anyway (just on power and network, not on support response or resolution time) - Let's face it, this is/was CoreExchange and not Amazon or Softlayer.

• simonindia said: @corey best thing you can do now is to setup you own network inside zayo till the end of the contract that will give you control in this issue

Don't they charge like 250$/mo for a fiber CC?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

William said: Don't they charge like 250$/mo for a fiber CC?

He should have the CC as the network is already delivered? This would be the case of reconfiguration and BGP setup. This should help, proviing the provider will automatically update their prefix-list, if not it would help only with removing announcements.

• @sman said:

Why such a lack of basement-related explanations?

• William said: Don't they charge like 250$/mo for a fiber CC?

Yes they do.

simonindia said: @corey best thing you can do now is to setup you own network inside zayo till the end of the contract that will give you control in this issue

other than prefix incident do you have any other problem

As outlined we've had lots of problems not outlined here.

William said: And you agreed to pay for that, right?

Else i see no reason why they would do that, you likely signed a shitty contract without real SLAs anyway (just on power and network, not on support response or resolution time) - Let's face it, this is/was CoreExchange and not Amazon or Softlayer.

Well I paid for a 'faster than 8 days resolution'. Thats why I called and put pressure.