Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poor Customer Support at a Datacenter, but locked into contract. What to do?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Poor Customer Support at a Datacenter, but locked into contract. What to do?

CoreyCorey Member
edited November 2015 in General

So I've been receiving poor customer support at Zayo/Corexchange since Zayo took over. I've had a ticket open since Sun Nov 15 to remove some announcements for address space. At first they took 3 days to remove not even half the announcements and said the ticket was complete. Then they took an additional two days to remove 2 more announcements and said the ticket was complete. Now they are telling me I have to wait until Monday for the last announcement to be removed because they could not complete the ticket in a week.

Apparently their network engineers don't do anything on the weekend unless it is 'important'. Is that common practice in datacenters? How is my ticket not 'important' when they said it has been completed several times but only half assed?

There has been a lot more crappy support that I haven't highlighted. Would you breach your contract and move datacenters?

Here are screenshots of the ticket:

http://s23.postimg.org/wimicdad7/Untitled.png
http://s30.postimg.org/l3utjnzup/Untitled1.png
http://s24.postimg.org/7a4ivwjo5/Untitled2.png

Comments

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2015

Well, I don't know your conditions, but, if a company is bought by another, you have the right to terminate the contract, since you don't agree to be a customer of XNew company (at least in RO, we can do that).

Regarding the support, as a datacenter and not a service reseller, you are required to offer 24/7 support to the customers, if not, yes, I'd terminate the contract.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Corey said: Would you breach your contract and move datacenters?

Calculate the costs or ask your lawyer to see if you can turn around and leave.

• @Andreix said:
    Well, I don't know your conditions, but, if a company is bought by another, you have the right to terminate the contract, since you don't agree to be a customer of XNew company (at least in RO, we can do that).

Regarding the support, as a datacenter and not a service reseller, you are required to offer 24/7 support to the customers, if not, yes, I'd terminate the contract.

Yea they only gave us X days to terminate the contract when they were bought out. How was I supposed to know they would let support go to sht?

edited November 2015

@Corey said:
    Yea they only gave us X days to terminate the contract when they were bought out. How was I supposed to know they would let support go to sht?

Poor support is a very solid reason for a contract cancellation, especially if you can prove that you lost money due to their poor support. Since no one could predict what services are you gonna get.
    As @Clouvider suggested, get in touch with your lawyer, he should know what to do in such cases (find another if he doesn't).

• BURN IT TO THE GROUND

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• Additionally they have been giving me the 'it will be done on monday' treatment for a while.

https://www.corexchange.com/colocation-solutions

24/7/365 support via on-site Network Operations Center

• Wow. You've been through a lot of shit lately Corey and still up. Respect!

Also Corexchange lol

• paypal chargeback!! post a bad review!!

Thanked by 1ToggledNS
  • MarkTurnerMarkTurner Member
    edited November 2015

Corey said: 24/7/365 support via on-site Network Operations Center

What operation are you trying to get them to do? Unless you are using an outsourced routing service, just drop the routes on your border gateway.

Who is the bandwidth provider? Which location is this?

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • I would attempt to contact someone in management and either flick them an email or give them a call. If they aren't responsive, then I would probably be seeing whether the poor support would constitute grounds for early contract termination.

Thanked by 1Andreix
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Just drive man.... just drive. They can't ignore you face to face right?

• Breach of contract on their part should usually release you from the contract.

However, I'm betting the contract does not specify that they have to remove announcements within X hours for X < 168 (or any other time limit, heh heh heh).

If I wanted out in such a situation, I'd proceed by contacting the account manager rather than tech support, explaining the situation, and ask for the contract to be cancelled through mutual agreement.

If that doesn't work, you can simply move out and not pay. Unlikely that they would go to court in this situation, but they can also attempt to damage your credit history without going to court.

One option is to get ahold of a phone number and call at reasonable intervals (few times a day, maybe) to ask for follow-ups. At some point, it may seem ridiculous to a tech support person to say that they are still working on it after X days, and they may decide to do it.

• @jarland said:
    Just drive man.... just drive. They can't ignore you face to face right?

Well they could give me the same old excuse since their network guy isn't actually onsite unless it is Mon-Fri 8-5.

Thanked by 1netomx

@Corey said:

Just curious, if you can tell, how many services do you have with them ?

• Andreix said: Just curious, if you can tell, how many services do you have with them ?

I have 2 services with them. Been with them+corex for over 1 year and a half on current contract.

edited November 2015

@Corey said:

Are those so expensive that they won't agree to cancel them ?

• Andreix said: Are those so expensive that they won't agree to cancel them ?

I already tried to cancel and they said my early termination fee will be over 9k (same amount as if I stayed with them for the remainder of my contract of 16 months)

Corey said: same amount as if I stayed with them for the remainder of my contract of 16 months

Admittedly seems fair.

@Corey said:

You shouldn't have signed for more than 1 year ... especially if it's your first contract with 'em.

• Andreix said: You shouldn't have signed for more than 1 year ... especially if it's your first contract with 'em.

It's my contract from when I was with corex, and I was with corex on another contract before that.

jarland said: Admittedly seems fair.

Doesn't seem fair that I won't be using their resources and have to pay the same amount. What is fair is 2 months extra because they require 60 days notice of cancellation.

• Corey said: Doesn't seem fair that I won't be using their resources and have to pay the same amount. What is fair is 2 months extra because they require 60 days notice of cancellation.

Thats what you agreed to in the contract, so don't be surprised if they enforce those terms in cancellation. Caveat emptor.

If you are in colo with your own IP space/AS #, then you should ALWAYS maintain your own BGP speaker so you can control your announcements. You should never outsource your network.

I asked you earlier who was your network provider, I maybe able to help you if its Zayo, I have some top level engineering contacts there.

edited November 2015

Corey said: Doesn't seem fair that I won't be using their resources and have to pay the same amount. What is fair is 2 months extra because they require 60 days notice of cancellation.

That's kind of the whole point of a contract. You can't look at a contract as something to throw away when it no longer suits you. Otherwise why have contracts at all. Giving you the option to pay out the remainder of the contract is fair.

• MarkTurner said: I asked you earlier who was your network provider, I maybe able to help you if its Zayo, I have some top level engineering contacts there.

Sorry for no response, it is zayo.

jarland said: That's kind of the whole point of a contract. You can't look at a contract as something to throw away when it no longer suits you. Otherwise why have contracts at all. Giving you the option to pay out the remainder of the contract is fair.

I didn't sign up for shtty support.

Thanked by 1Andreix

Corey said: I didn't sign up for shtty support.

Well now you know to negotiate that into the next contract you sign :)

• Corey said: Sorry for no response, it is zayo.

PM or email me the details along with the ticket and I'll send an email for you.

The question is whether its contractually considered 'shitty support' or whether its contractually considered acceptable.

If it can be determined to be below contract level then you have to give them notice to remedy it. But upset the apple cart and cancel, they'll lock you out of your kit until you pay the termination costs.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

Did you get this clause put into your contract? I am sure the really small print doesn't give you this option to cancel at anytime if their support turns to shit. Additionally I would go through Zayo NOC vs CoreXchange NOC for such requests. Did they move you to strictly Zayo Bandwidth or are you still on the old CoreXchange blend?

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited November 2015

MarkTurner said: The question is whether its contractually considered 'shitty support' or whether its contractually considered acceptable.

If it can be determined to be below contract level then you have to give them notice to remedy it. But upset the apple cart and cancel, they'll lock you out of your kit until you pay the termination costs.

I can see that.

ryanarp said: Did they move you to strictly Zayo Bandwidth or are you still on the old CoreXchange blend?

Still on corex blend I believe - but I can't be for certain.

Additionally I would go through Zayo NOC

I haven't been given any access or information on Zayo NOC

• Corey said: Still on corex blend I believe - but I can't be for certain.

PM me an IP I will tell you what you're on. If its not pure Zayo then you'll need to go via CoreXchange's support structure. Ifs its Zayo then I can help.

• It is not pure Zayo, i probably know the /23 involved (because it is now mine) - it's the DCs blend.