Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

looking for KVM stoarge
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

looking for KVM stoarge

curtisgcurtisg Banned
edited December 2012 in Offers

I'm looking for a KVM storage server with a "decent" sized hard drive(100gb more/less) for file storage, web server.

Anyone have any for under the LEB price of $7?

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I think you need to double your budget buddy if you want 100GB dedicated KVM disk space, unless you can find someone doing storage plans but that would not allow a web server too in most cases.

• @AnthonySmith said: I think you need to double your budget buddy if you want 100GB dedicated KVM disk space, unless you can find someone doing storage plans but that would not allow a web server too in most cases.

I think(judging by what BuyVM's offer) that a web server would be allowed on a "storage" server.

not always, but if you have found a solution in BuyVM why not go for it?

• Sure you can host a webserver, but they won't give you much bandwidth...

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yes, buyvm has an offer along those lines. Was posted on LEB

• @Maounique said: Yes, buyvm has an offer along those lines. Was posted on LEB

When every I check they are always out of stock

Francisco promised he will be putting more stock in january i think.

• @Maounique said: Francisco promised he will be putting more stock in january i think.

yeah, but I need something before january.

What Ram, bandwidth etc do you need?

I may be able to do a Xen plan in NL with 100GB for $7 p/month as I have a few nodes with space that will never be used.

• 256mb-512mb should be fine, bandwidth i'd prefer 100mbps unmetered honestly.

edited December 2012

haha.

so for $7 you want dedicated Ram, Disk space and 32TB of data each month.

When you find that let me know I will buy 2.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited December 2012

@AnthonySmith said: so for $7 you want dedicated Ram, Disk space and 32TB of data each month.

When you find that let me know I will buy 2.

This, if your going to mention KVM, get your cash out. Your paying for guaranteed resources and your requirements aren't realistic for under $7.

We only do 112GB RAID10 HDD on our largest plan and that's £25.80/pcm.

• LOL

For real, let me know as well. I wouldn't mind buying 100gb @ 7$/month with Unlimited bw.

You are better off at this point going and buying a kimsufi from OVH (as much as I hate OVH) as it would be like 2-3x what you want to pay but will have 1TB of disk. Most who would be willing to offer you 100gb in that price range would likely give you maybe 100-250gb transfer max. Beyond that it just sounds like a warez storage server where you plan to move tons of data daily on and off the server. Good luck!

• @AnthonySmith said: so for $7 you want dedicated Ram, Disk space and 32TB of data each month.

buyvm offers storage plans on 1gbps download speed shared, 5mbit upload limited though, unmetered, 250gb disk, 256mb ram for $7 but they are almost always out of stock.

Well looking at the storage plans on buyvm's site unless I am mistaken, they are OpenVZ based and limited to 2500GB p/month and no doubt will have other restrictions in place to make sure they are actually used as storage plans such as serious CPU capping

Buy the sounds of it you don't actually want a storage plan at all, you just want lots of storage to go with a web server so I refer to my original point, not for $7 :)

edited December 2012

hmm maybe you meant this:

http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/buyvm-7-month-250gb-kvm-storage-vps-in-san-jose/

BuyVM KVM 250GB Storage VPS
    128MB memory
    250GB disk
    2500GB Bandwidth @ 1 gbps
    1 vCPU core
    1 IPv4 & 16 IPv6
    KVM/Stallion
    $7/Month

in which case fair enough, they don't seem to care what you use it for, hats off to them, I doubt you will find anything similar unless you consider paying the extra for the mKS 2G http://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/kimsufi.xml

• @AnthonySmith said: BuyVM KVM 250GB Storage VPS

128MB memory
    250GB disk
    2500GB Bandwidth @ 1 gbps
    1 vCPU core
    1 IPv4 & 16 IPv6
    KVM/Stallion
    $7/Month

buyvm.net states:
    SJ BuyVM-Storage-250GB (0 Available) - 128MB KVM VPS
    256MB Swap
    250GB Dedicated Space
    Unlimited Transfer
    100Mbit Download/5Mbit Upload Cap

https://my.frantech.ca/cart.php?gid=21

• We could probably match that with OpenVZ. Any reason for KVM?

• @Ishaq said: Any reason for KVM?

Personally I just prefer KVM because I like installing the OS myself, I just prefer it.

We have an IPv6 plan with Xen, for 100 GB will be 192 ram, with swap and whatnot.
    500 GB traffic, while it is not recommended, I guess a small server to serve static pages or files wont hurt.
    You wont be able to install the OS yourself, but it supports everything, the templates are minimalistic cleaned up by me.
    The plan goes for 2.5 Eur a month and you can buy an extra IPv4 for a year only at 20 Eur.
    Extra traffic can also be bought at 5 Eur per 2 TB.

• @Maounique location? Network speed? ect.

Italy, 100 mbps port speed.

• test file?

edited December 2012

You will find all the info about network here:
    http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/prometeus-e5-34-month-1024mb-ssd-openvz-e18-year-256mb-ssd-openvz/
    Dont have a test file on these plans tho...

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2012

@AnthonySmith said: Well looking at the storage plans on buyvm's site unless I am mistaken, they are OpenVZ based and limited to 2500GB p/month and no doubt will have other restrictions in place to make sure they are actually used as storage plans such as serious CPU capping

They're KVM and it follows the same policies as our standard KVM plans :) "Use what you need but don't be a dick, CPU and IO are shared resources."

I'd always watch out for offers for large disk space on OVZ. Not only is overselling a huge concern (and usually what happens 99% of the time), I'd be scared shitless having millions upon millions upon MILLIONS of inodes spread over multiple TB of space.

All it takes is a hard crash and you're in sketchy waters with a FSCK.

Alloc PE / Size 6557440 / 25.01 TiB
    Free PE / Size 108782 / 424.93 GiB

Is what we got spare. If you want it I can arrange it for you.

I should also add that transit isn't unmetered anymore. We used to do 100mbit/5mbit but people wanted to be able to burst so we swapped to flat TB over shared Gbit.

More towards the end of January, sorry!

Francisco

@Francisco yep I noticed that once I had a look at the LEB offer, hats off to you for offering storage plans on such flexible terms at that price.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said: @Francisco yep I noticed that once I had a look at the LEB offer, hats off to you for offering storage plans on such flexible terms at that price.

It's a lot of fun :)

Francisco

@Francisco said: It's a lot of fun :)

Hehe, indeed :)
    Isnt it nice to take your hobby and make it a job ? Not to mention those that make it business :)

• @Maounique can you offer ipv4 and no ipv6?

You can remove yourself IPv6 connectivity if you wish, you have complete control over your OS.
    These plans are built for IPv6 and as a storage extension for prometeus customers, we cannot remove IPv6 from them.
    We had a choice:
    make them internal ipv4 (RFC 1918) which meant cant be accessed from outside unless mounted on your VPS and exported from there and
    give IPv6 so ppl can access them both from inside and outside.
    The second choice was obviously better.