Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rasberry Pi alternate Banana pi - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rasberry Pi alternate Banana pi

Comments

• @hawkjohn7 If you take a look at the diagram, the new BananaPi M3 will also use a SATA to USB adapter, meaning once again that board will also be limited by the USB 2.0 chip for SATA.

This is unfortunate as it means you can only get 30M/sec from SATA.

I will mention though the overall specs of the board, if it comes in under $50 will be nice to have seeing as its an 8 core SoC. It is just unfortunate they decided to tie the SATA to USB in this model, it would be fantastic to use to run a NAS if this wasn't the case.

Cheeers!

• Well a good comparision

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • Nihim said: tldr: thx for the info and I think the best low end choice is the orange pi correct?

It will be the cheapest choice if you intend to not need the SATA port, correct. Overall I believe you only gain 1 extra USB port on the regular version. If you just want a board to run and connect a few USB drives to, then you should be just fine.

Sorry for not seeing your questions and replying earlier.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1Nihim
  • still going to wait...and also go to see the local.market before shipping from China

• NihimNihim Member
    edited November 2015

@TheLinuxBug said:

Heh no worries mate.
    Yea atleast for starters just wanna do cli / gui linux and some light torrenting (mainly reading so max 30MB/s is more than enough) but connecting a sata disk be it with usb / sata is needed.
    Question: without a sata chip / port will it work with a small 2.5" usb sata disk? Asking cause I think on my tablet it worked.

Also as far as I see on the orange site, the orange 1 has a sata port! Though the orange pi 2 doesn't have one.. maybe the mixed them up? :P

• edited November 2015

@Nihim said:
    The problem with odroid when using it with an OS is that it doesn't have onboard eMMC and you can only buy their own stuff not use any eMMC :/

Mind explaining a bit further? What's the issue if I just use a micro SD?

• @nihim the board it's self can power a 2.5" drive if the power supply you are using is at least 5v 2amp and assuming you have the correct adapter cable.

It will not power a 3.5" drive, you will need an external power source as they require 12v.

There are several different orange pi products, their newest and cheapest is the orage pi pc for $15.

The original orange pi was an a20 and not an H3 I believe, it would be the one closest to banana pi m1 with actual sata chip instead of a USB to sata adapter.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers!

• @inthecloudblog said:
    Mind explaining a bit further? What's the issue if I just use a micro SD?

Speeds, eMMC is a lot faster than any class10 flash memory, so usually the put like 8GB for the OS. Think of it like the internal space on your phone.

@TheLinuxBug said:

Yea as I said will use a 2.5" external that connects with USB. So I take it I could connect that on one of the usb ports of the $15 orange pi 1 and use it, while booting the OS from a flash card.

Downside is I can't use a usb wifi dongle, would like to have it on my ups (pc connects with the router using a 9m cable :P)

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @Nihim said:

The emmc is not included ?
    How does it compare with something like an 840 evo in speed and endurance?

• Keep the suggestions coming. Interested in native sata boards too.

Any usb3.0 controllers on the horizon?

• @TheLinuxBug said:
    nihim the board it's self can power a 2.5" drive if the power supply you are using is at least 5v 2amp and assuming you have the correct adapter cable.

It will not power a 3.5" drive, you will need an external power source as they require 12v.

There are several different orange pi products, their newest and cheapest is the orage pi pc for $15.

The original orange pi was an a20 and not an H3 I believe, it would be the one closest to banana pi m1 with actual sata chip instead of a USB to sata adapter.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers!

where i can buy orange pi for $15?

• just go to the link I posted originally and look in the sidebar...:-) @robohost

• noamannoaman Member
    edited November 2015

@ThelinuxBug

if you add shipping and other extra items like casing and power supply it costs you 28 bucks
    whereas the orange pi plus costs 51 bucks(with casing and power supply)
    well for the extra 23 bucks
    you get

1. 8gb Emmc
    2. Wifi Module
    3. 1Gbit ethernet (although Limited)
    4. sata port(although limited)
    5. 1extra usb port
  • NihimNihim Member
    edited November 2015

For odroid you have to buy it, others included it, others don't you have to check.

I don't know but I believe a full fledged SSD will be quite faster than eMMC. Read somewhere good eMMC can reach up to 90MB/s with 5-8k IOPS, dunno if the fact it's soldered in the pcb affects, one of the guys in the thread can probably give you a better answer.

@noaman said:

Basically twice the price, though the wifi & eMMC are tempting. I guess for my usage I don't believe it's worth it (well eMMC for OS kinda does worth) going 2x on price. Better learn / test and potentially use the extra money on a higher model.

• I'm still angry about my Raspberry Pi's power cable that it shuts down/crashes randomly.

I ought to buy a new power cable for it. But this is ridiculous. There's only the wifi dongle plugged into the pi, so power usage shouldn't be terribly high.

• @nihim ...still waiting for banana pi m3 release

• NihimNihim Member
    edited November 2015

@noaman yea that's gonna be quite powerfull but it's gonna be interesting how they will price it. Tablets with tha cpu go for a min of $100 so people say it will be $60-70 min.
    Unless China pulls another low-end-budget miracle!

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • @nihim
    fingers crossed

• So how much for the ux4 plus basic thing that runs the OS plus SD (64 GB class 10 ) + PSU + case in case of the odroid?
    Any clue why it has similar cpu and " just" 2 GB ( would be willing to have an over speced version )

• @GM2015 said:
    I'm still angry about my Raspberry Pi's power cable that it shuts down/crashes randomly.

I ought to buy a new power cable for it. But this is ridiculous. There's only the wifi dongle plugged into the pi, so power usage shouldn't be terribly high.

This. I'm having this issue too, even with the charger that is included in the box

• Most of the power supplies they include with kits only put out enough steady voltage to just power the device alone. In several cases, especially when adding a drive to SATA and trying to leverage the SATA power you need to buy a 5v 2.1A adapter and if you are using one that utilizes a USB cable, make sure you have purchased a gold USB cable that is of decent quality, crappy USB cables will not keep the correct voltage which will cause things to fail. The quality of the USB cable when it comes to power is super important, the cheapy ones you get from China are not well made and will not have the correct insulation to keep the correct voltage causing the server to crash when it tries to utilize full power.

I suggest this adapter, this link for micro USB and this link for Mini USB. I have found these to keep the correct voltage and work for powering these arm board reliably.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• I just made payment for orange pi plus...@thelinuxbug thanx for your help...gr8 guy...
    Let's hope it arrives on time :-)

• @nihim
    If you want to go ahead and discuss be my guest...but for me thread almost closed

• sadly for me can't use my card on aliexpress and they don't accept paypal so will have to see :P

well enjoy your pi plus @noaman !

• @nihim
    try alibaba....

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2015

noaman said: try alibaba....

Try Alibaba, the wholesale parent branch of Aliexpress, really? The one which typically works with MOQ from like 100 items, and for which you pay with Western Union or Bank Transfers (around ~$20 fee for each payment, so makes sense only for bulk $500-1000+ priced orders)? Try that Alibaba, and could you explain why/how exactly and what would this help to attain?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @rm_
    Never used it ...heard lot of it...
    @nihim
    where are you located?

• Greece, so capital controls fun-blocked.

• @Nihim said:
    Greece, so capital controls fun-blocked.

What are you talking about?

• @rm_ said:

Perhaps "try alipay" is what he wanted to say.