Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to see specifications are 100% as we bought - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to see specifications are 100% as we bought

2»

Comments

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

TarZZ92 said: no it's not you dumbo it's 12 cores ONLY. and 12 threads those 12 threads are not cores, if they where the CPU would be sold as 24 cores.

1 physical core = 2 logical cores. This isn't opinion or something to argue. It's a fact. If you still don't understand or think I'm just making that up, do some basic research.

Whether you like it or not, logical cores are used on SolusVM with KVM and OpenVZ. And a logical core is not 10% the power of a physical core as you stated.

singsing said: 12 cores is not "actually 24 cores", that is not how math is done anywhere.

Seems like you and @TarZZ92 like to quote only that little part of all I wrote. Of course I did not mean 12 cores = 24 cores. I meant 12 physical cores = 24 logical cores. I was strictly talking about logical cores being counted and used instead of physical cores, when most providers talk about "cores" and in the virtualization software.

Sadly, it appears that all the figures from providers running with hyperthreading are 200% more oversold than otherwise.

Not really. A 12 physical core Operon will pretty much benchmark about the same as a 6 physical core Xeon with hyperthreading. There are of course a lot of different factors like the specific processor we're talking about - but feel free to look around for yourself. So if a provider advertises logical cores as cores and then a provider with no hyperthreading advertises the actual cores, they could very well be about the same power.

(edit) For example, 2x Opteron 8439 versus Intel Xeon X5650

Thanked by 1William
  • VirMach said: So if a provider advertises logical cores as cores

Please. Do you seriously mean everyone has to go around saying "physical core" instead of "core" because VPS marketing literature wants the term "core" to include "logical core"?

Still not sure how many cores you have on your Intel processor? Go to ark.intel.com, find your processor model, and read the line that says "# of Cores". That's how many cores you have.

VirMach said: then a provider with no hyperthreading advertises the actual cores

"Actual" cores? So you admit "logical cores" aren't "actual" cores ...

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

singsing said: Please. Do you seriously mean everyone has to go around saying "physical core" instead of "core" because VPS marketing literature wants the term "core" to include "logical core"?

It's not a marketing term. If you read what I said, SolusVM and the type of virtualization uses logical cores for the number of cores. It's just how it works, how it's assigned and virtualized. It's not like SolusVM assigns physical cores and then the provider goes back and gives half of that and calls it a core.

"Actual" cores? So you admit "logical cores" aren't "actual" cores ...

I never stated that logical cores were physical cores. Please read what I said - I think I've made myself very clear by now. This isn't some legal paper I'm writing so there will obviously be points where I interchange words. I apologize if that confuses you.

• This is my personal opinion, it doesn't reflect my employers view on it:

There are distinct differences between a physical core and logical core. In my opinion when referring to a dedicated core then the inference should be dedicated physical core rather than dedicated logical core.

So a 6 core X5650 is 6 cores but will provide 12 logical cores, in which 2 logical cores are contending a single physical core.

If a user were to max out a single physical core then another user whose logical core was on the same core would see a service degradation. You can't get 200% utilisation out of a single core.

Obviously in the real world most people (exception of heavy cpu users eg miners), their CPU usage is bursty so the two parties sharing the single physical core will in most cases be ok.

But VPS providers (Delimiter is no exception) should be careful to label their Dedicated Core services as Dedicated Logical Core rather allowing customers to believe its a Dedicated Physical Core.

2x Opteron 8439 versus Intel Xeon X5650

A dual Opteron 8439 (2 x 6 physical cores) gets a passmark of 8060
    Single Xeon X5650 (1 x 6 physical cores) gets a passmark of 7588

Thats not a testament to 12 cores vs 12 logical cores, it just shows that Opteron performance is usually substantially less than Xeon.

The reality, in this example, is that 12 Opteron cores is benching almost the same as 6 Xeon cores. You can validate this by running a performance test on Dual O8439 and X5650 (with HT disabled).

Thanked by 1singsing
  • MarkTurner said: A dual Opteron 8439 (2 x 6 physical cores) gets a passmark of 8060 Single Xeon X5650 (1 x 6 physical cores) gets a passmark of 7588

Thats not a testament to 12 cores vs 12 logical cores, it just shows that Opteron performance is usually substantially less than Xeon.

I'm curious about how a 6% difference turns into 50%:

MarkTurner said: The reality, in this example, is that 12 Opteron cores is benching almost the same as 6 Xeon cores. You can validate this by running a performance test on Dual O8439 and X5650 (with HT disabled).

I guess "passmarks" are not a linear scale.