Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to see specifications are 100% as we bought
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to see specifications are 100% as we bought

Hi all comunity of LET!
I am running debian 7 on a kvm.

How can I check if where I bought still what provider keep offer me.

I bought
4 core
2gb ram
50gb ssd

In simple words, how can I see if use what I bought

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Disk

df -h

Ram

free -m

CPU

cat /proc/cpuinfo

Does not mean the person is overselling some resources at node level.

Thanked by 1plopes
  • Only to see, thanks ;)

But those commands under command line, can in some how be false?

• @plopes said:

Yes. Those commands show what was allocated to you. However, that doesn't mean the host reserved those resources for you. They can easily have oversold resources so you can't actually use what you paid for. (less so on KVM, but this is particularly important for stuff like CPU)

General Rule of Thumb: If your host is so sketchy that you need to check to see if they properly allocated the resources they assigned because their plans are too good to be true... you're probably hosting with the wrong company.

Thanked by 1plopes
  • plopes said: But those commands under command line, can in some how be false?

Sure it could be false, compile those programs yourself if you have that high a level of paranoia

• @plopes said:
    Only to see, thanks ;)

No, it's what they are passing through to your VM's.

Apart from changing the CPU model's name and a few other descriptions, if you see 4GB of ram, they have "assigned" you 4GB of ram.

Thanked by 1plopes
  • I'm not paranoia only to know. Thank you for your kind answers @Jonchum @AshleyUk

• expect some +/- here and there with your readings.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

A good way to make sure you can actually use what you got is running stress tests/benchmarks.

• @VirMach said:
    A good way to make sure you can actually use what you got is running stress tests/benchmarks.

Which is exactly why 99% of hosts hate LET users.

• Jonchun said: Which is exactly why 99% of hosts hate LET users.

then don't serve them go on WHT or something.

Thanked by 1Rolter
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited November 2015

@plopes - A provider can balloon your memory in KVM, (check for virtio_balloon in your process list) but you can remove it by adding blacklist virtio_balloon to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf and /etc/modprobe.d/fbdev-blacklist.conf (os dependent) then reboot.

Most of the time the issue that will cause you problems will be disk I/O on an over allocated KVM node which will show as a lot of I/O wait. Example below has 100% CPU usage, but 93% is waiting on I/O.

top - 09:57:06 up 1 day, 11:05,  1 user,  load average: 0.50, 0.43, 0.37
    Tasks:  86 total,   1 running,  85 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    Cpu(s):  1.0%us,  3.6%sy,  0.0%ni,  0.0%id, 93.4%wa,  0.3%hi,  0.0%si,  1.7%st
    Mem:   1897580k total,  1619468k used,   278112k free,    52472k buffers
    Swap:   524284k total,        0k used,   524284k free,  1361348k cached

If you show a large number under "st" in the top example above(1.7%st) it could mean the node CPU is over allocated

Thanked by 2bersy ehab
  • Why free -m?

Usually, free -h is better, particularily because it makes everything in readable units.

• JonchunJonchun Member
    edited November 2015

@TarZZ92 said:
    then don't serve them go on WHT or something.

Not sure why you would assume I'm part of the hosts that hate them? I'm part of the group the hosts hate since I'm a LET member... Yes, the kind that runs intensive benchmarks for no reason other than "just cause".

• @FlamesRunner said:
    Why free -m?

Usually, free -h is better, particularily because it makes everything in readable units.

I've seen some boxes that don't have a -h flag so the next best thing is -m for megabytes

Thanked by 1netomx
  • AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

You can install a benchmark tool or run a CPUMiner to use the shit out the CPU and see if anyone suspends your VM.
    If they do, they may oversell the resources. :)

• @FrankZ said:

about memory, if someone see the "guaranteed" in offer and still the provider ballons do you think this is a good cancellation request reason? in otherwords one can only get full resources with a dedicated.

• @Andreix said:
    You can install a benchmark tool or run a CPUMiner to use the shit out the CPU and see if anyone suspends your VM.
    If they do, they may oversell the resources. :)

Even Google clouds dislike that.

• ehab said: about memory, if someone see the "guaranteed" in offer and still the provider ballons do you think this is a good cancellation request reason?

I don't think "guaranteed" means the same thing as "dedicated".

2GB RAM dedicated = you do not contend for 2GB of RAM

2GB RAM guaranteed = you can get your money back if free -m is not in the ballpark of 2048

No idea what free -m actually shows with ballooning.

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

@erkin said:
    Even Google clouds dislike that.

They should not. If it's your CPU you should be able to use it however you need.

• @Andreix said:
    They should not. If it's your CPU you should be able to use it however you need.

No. It's uneconomical to provide everyone a dedicated CPU thread.

It's fair share. Be nice to your neighbours. Nobody silently dedicates CPU power. CPU power is supposed to be oversold, just like not every process on your computer gets an entire CPU core...

• There is nothing better than doing an hardware test via command line.

• Andreix said: they may oversell the resources. :)

EVERYONE on LET/LEB oversells anyone who says different is a liar.

Selling a thread as a core is a lie.
    you cannot cover the costs of a quad core/6 core or whatever server with $5/$7 vps'es with 1 core each so they need to oversell it with threads.

Thanked by 1tehdan
  • FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited November 2015

@ehab - Personally, I just blacklist the balloon.
    At LET prices, I would agree with your "one can only get full resources with a dedicated" statement.

TarZZ92 said: EVERYONE on LET/LEB oversells anyone who says different is a liar.

I think when people say "oversell" they mean two different things. People mind overselling if it means they can't even use what they paid for, ever - otherwise I believe it's fine. So that means if a host oversells properly, everyone's CPU usage can average out to how much CPU there actually exists.

Andreix said: You can install a benchmark tool or run a CPUMiner to use the shit out the CPU and see if anyone suspends your VM. If they do, they may oversell the resources. :)

This is a good way to eventually get suspended anywhere, unless they specifically promise dedicated/100% CPU. Just do the math and you'll realize unless you're paying a good "fair" price, your CPU is most likely meant to be burst to full usage. An E3 has 8 vCores and costs at the very minimum $50-100, or let's say $80. If your plan has 1 vCore, unless you're paying at least $10, don't expect to have that all the time.

That's why, for example, we have different lines of plans and customers get confused why they're the "same specs" but the gaming line costs way more. That's because those lines are allowed to use 100% CPU all the time. We do also give customers on KVM plan a chance to opt-in for 24/7 CPU usage, at a cost. Works out for everyone involved and customers know, when ordering, that unless they select that option CPU is shared and they're expected to not max it out all the time.

• VirMach said: I think when people say "oversell" they mean two different things. People mind overselling if it means they can't even use what they paid for, ever - otherwise I believe it's fine. So that means if a host oversells properly, everyone's CPU usage can average out to how much CPU there actually exists.

well no it's the same, selling a thread as a core is plainly overselling, a thread is just a software thing nothing like a real core (it probably performs less than 10% of a core)

TarZZ92 said: well no it's the same, selling a thread as a core is plainly overselling, a thread is just a software thing nothing like a real core (it probably performs less than 10% of a core)

Cores are usually synonymous to vCores, and sometimes it's just called "CPU," "vCPU," or "vCPU Core" and so on. I'd like to explain it real quick, as it might be pretty confusing from a customer perspective.

First of all, to understand this, you have to understand that logical cores are counted - not physical cores. This means a 12 core Intel E5 is actually 24 cores. Whether you agree or disagree how that should be done, that's how it's done for virtualization and how all the math is done. So for our examples, let's assume we're running an E5, 24 logical cores with 2.0GHz clock speed.

How it works for OpenVZ virtualization, on SolusVM on the provider's end.

CPU Cores

This is the number of virtual cores. This number can be less with more power, or more with less power based on the other settings below. I believe this is what you're about about when you say "it performs less than 10% of a core" which it technically could if it's being assigned 10x the number of Cores.

CPU Percent

This is how much power of the full core the virtual core(s) have - if it's set to 50% it is half of one CPU Core above. However, if it is set 200% you do not necessarily get double the CPU core unless you also have 2 CPU Cores.

CPU Units

This is the ratio of CPU units to the server's total units, as well as relative ratio of CPU someone receives. This is the priority of CPU a customer receives and arguably what matters most if CPU is oversold.

Example: If it's set to 1 Core, 50% CPU Percent, and 1000 CPU Units, you get a 1GHz vCore. And in the event that people are fighting over CPU power, and someone who has 2000 CPU Units is attempting to use it at the same time as you, he gets double the CPU power at that time. If it's set to 4 Core, 100% CPU Percent, you get four 500MHz vCores. If it's set to 2 Core, 200% CPU Percent, you get 2 vCores at 2GHz, and so on.

How it works for KVM virtualization, on SolusVM on the provider's end.

CPU Cores

This is the number of logical cores that a customer is assigned. It's the maximum number of cores a customer can use. This number cannot be higher than the actual number of logical cores on the server.

CPU Percent

This option does not exist. It defaults to 100% per CPU Core given to the customer.

CPU Units

This does not exist. However, there are other CPU settings a provider can chose to use that will alter performance in some ways.

Example: If it's set to 1 Core, you get 1 vCore at 2GHz. If it's set to 2 Core, you get 2 vCore at 2GHz. This still does not mean you're getting the full core all the time as it can obviously be oversold.

Thanked by 1AlexanderM
  • TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited November 2015

VirMach said: Cores are usually synonymous to vCores

as i said a thread is not a core. am not going into details wasting my time, but the fact is people sell those threads as cores. which is overselling.

VirMach said: This means a 12 core Intel E5 is actually 24 cores

no it's not you dumbo it's 12 cores ONLY. and 12 threads those 12 threads are not cores, if they where the CPU would be sold as 24 cores.

and quite frankly i would expect better from @AlexanderM seams he agrees with this overselling too.

• @TarZZ92 said:

Can tell you @AshleyUK doesnt. Top end LET market but amazing hardware

• TinyTunnel_Tom said: Can tell you @AshleyUK doesnt. Top end LET market but amazing hardware

maybe maybe not.

• TarZZ92 said: a thread is just a software thing nothing like a real core (it probably performs less than 10% of a core)

Where the heck do you get "probably less than 10% of a core"?

A thread can reach close to 100% the performance of a real core (if the number of threads that need compute at a given time is less than the number of physical cores).

On the other hand, by loading an arbitrarily large number threads per physical core, there is no theoretical limit to how low the performance of a thread can get as a percentage of physical core performance.

VirMach said: This means a 12 core Intel E5 is actually 24 cores. Whether you agree or disagree how that should be done, that's how it's done for virtualization and how all the math is done.

12 cores is not "actually 24 cores", that is not how math is done anywhere.

Sadly, it appears that all the figures from providers running with hyperthreading are 200% more oversold than otherwise.

Thanked by 1vimalware