Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Denver Colocation - Ideas, Prices?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Denver Colocation - Ideas, Prices?

KrisKris Member
edited December 2012 in Providers

Besides going to FDC directly, any Colo offers / ideas for the Denver area? Moving to the area & probably will purchase an off-lease server, looking to put somewhere local.

Use of under 1TB (probably 500 GB) BW/mo.

Remote hands would be nice 24/7 for reboots, or a KVM over IP / remote reboot.

Just seeing if there are providers who can offer this.

Thanks

Comments

• Not sure on prices, may be get quotes from some of these:
    http://www.datacentermap.com/usa/colorado/denver/

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Hit up @serverian if you want to get in FDC Denver.

• Handy Networks might be decent: http://www.handynetworks.com/services/colocation/

2 amps @ 120v 2TB/mo. $99.00

• Thanks! I want to get into FDC, but not directly.

I've contacted them twice in two years regarding dedicated servers and didn't get a response.

I think it's better to go through someone else to get into FDC - especially if you want a response it seems.

Going to get the box shipped to Denver, find out the best peering with the local ISPS I'll be using (Comcast / CenturyLink) and go from there.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Kris said: I've contacted them twice in two years regarding dedicated servers and didn't get a response.

I've emailed them a few times before, and have always got a response within 24 hours. Once they responded when they weren't open at all. Maybe they didn't get your email, or vice-versa. Could try calling them? I don't think they're too bad, and would probably get better support if you were direct.

Cheers,

Dominic

• I've been considering colo at FDC as well and had no trouble contacting them by phone. No first hand experience with their support but sales is really responsive.

Just remember these words in FDC Denver...
    "I love Cogent!"

Repeat them every day, hope it eventually becomes true ;)

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2012

@Patrick said: Also DMEHosting Colo in Denver:

I had a bad experience with them, so not sure OP would want to go with em'. However, might just have been me getting unlucky.

Pretty sure it was them, but can't seem to log-in.

• @jarland said: Just remember these words in FDC Denver...

"I love Cogent!"

Actually, the reason I've been considering them is their handoff directly to Comcast's IBONE.

I have a VPS at a host with FDC, one IP always takes Cogent, the rest take Comcast directly in.

@Kris said: Actually, the reason I've been considering them is their handoff directly to Comcast's IBONE.

Sounds like a good fit then. In the big picture they're actually not as bad as I make fun of them for. Make sure you hit up Oktay (serverian here) and see what he can offer you. He's good people.

• HandyNetworks - www.handynetworks.com

Bare in mind Denver colocation isn't cheap due to power and bandwidth costs.

On the other hand, FDC has no sort of UPS (as far as I know) If the power flickers everything goes dark and has to boot back up... This also means unconditioned power which means that power sources will fail more often.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

We just shipped a new Backup VPS node to Handy Networks this morning. :)

• I highly discourage anyone from going to FDC especially in Denver. That location is downright odd connectivity. Has it got any better recently? I HOPE SO.

+1 for Handy.

Side note here, why any real interest in Colorado? There are slews of offers one state over on Kansas/Missouri border (Kansas City). Dallas metro has bunches of places. Fiberhub in Vegas seems to have all around good connectivity and location for latency to west coast.

@pubcrawler said: Has it got any better recently? I HOPE SO.

I've had more consistency and less packet loss in the last month, hard to call that a trend but I've seen much better usage patterns lately from those actually trying to use it.

• I need to give FDC another call. I appreciated the honesty of sales about the power as it was important to me. When I asked them if I could colocate a server and a 1U PDU/UPS I didn't get a positive response. I mean it still takes one power outlet and one network outlet. It would solve issues due to improper shutdown and momentary blips. I expected them to be cool about it for a colocation but I think I surprised them when I asked.

• Look at Handy networks, case closed.

@pubcrawler

I'm moving there next year (Aprilish) so it makes sense to colocate where I'll have access to the servers.

• It should be a rule for a hazardous place like FDC that you live within walking distance and have a preapproved hall pass to visit your gear.

I can understand the lure of price. Aside from that, what do you folks see in that company and facility?

edited December 2012

@pubcrawler I personally would never host my equipment in a data center that does not have their own UPS. I mean even at the prices they charge you're really only saving a few hundred bucks a month compared to a higher end data center, if it was a 50% saving I could see it, but a 20-30% savings isn't worth it IMO.

• I agree @KuJoe. No batteries means inevitable disk issues. Data corruption and disk failures are the worst thing that can happen.

I was thinking more about how much PSUs love it when you pull the power from them while they are running. :)

• Take a look at data102 though not right in the middle of Denver

• Yeah @KuJoe, PSU's aren't swell with power drops either. Probably much less likely to have spare PSU on site compared to say drive(s).

• @klikli said: Take a look at data102 though not right in the middle of Denver

Thanks for the heads up, I've worked for a joke of a data center before, without any power backups and remember watching a little tech running down the aisles rebooting servers every brownout - so not looking for that.

@pubcrawler said: Side note here, why any real interest in Colorado?

Moving to the Cherry Creek Denver area and like a server a few MS away.

Have VPS servers at FiberHub LV already through Cloud3k, LFCVPS for Denver, and a few at FR in Colorado Springs.

LFCVPS is nice because actually one of my IPs routes only over Cogent (cogent owned IP) and the other's that were happily replaced go over the Comcast IBone / take a direct Comcast route into FDC. Odd, but I like it for DNS redundancy

I get network blips a lot with my servers in Colorado Springs with SSH constantly timing out, even my 3rd party monitors temporarily fail, so I never considered that facility, I doubt they do Colo anyway.

Just wanted to pop a 1U off lease server in a local facility at around 50-75/mo if possible to have nice low latency.

I'll check out the latency to the KCMO area once I'm out there and possibly just lease a server out of there.

Found out my registrar Name.com is right down the road in the area, and has a Level3 line, but their VPS / hosting offerings are through Softlayer Dallas :(

One thing I like about Handy Networks is if I take the light rail from Littleton it's less than a minute (200 feet) from the station. Unfortunately they are about 20 minutes from the data center I'll be working in which will be about 30 minutes from where I'll be living.

• @Kris, it's important to put things where latency is best for your users, not yourself :) Unless the users for the project are yourself.

Right now from Kansas City (Wholesale/Datashack) the route to Denver FDC is funky. It goes via HE to Chicago and then one more hop to Denver. 23ms.

I expect the route to be the same in reverse since FDC backhauls their stuff lots. That's what make route funky. They do the same thing in big way on US East Coast where traffic hits Asburn, VA, then up to New York then disappears in their own private network.

• @pubcrawler said: @Kris, it's important to put things where latency is best for your users, not yourself :) Unless the users for the project are yourself.

Well aware.

That's why I have 30+ servers around the world with DNS by Zerigo. Downtime is never an option, nor is latency above 50 ms for DNS or the server for a target area's website. I'm slightly OCD about this.

This is a personal machine.

edited December 2012

@pubcrawler said: No batteries means inevitable disk issues. Data corruption and disk failures are the worst thing that can happen.

There's a lot one can do inside their own racks to prevent big issues like this. Besides it's not like their power goes out every month. I think their last outage was 2 years ago. You can have backup power and still lose power every now and then. There are a lot of points of failure inside many datacenters that claim proper redundancy. A lot of racks at FDC have UPS anyway, they're just not standard in every rack.

• Yeah, what jarland said is right, you don't have to have a secondary "live" power feed. You can place your own secondary power supply in the rack, and these can hold a few hours power depending on usage.

@jarland said: inside their own racks to prevent big issues