Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some day home computers will be enough to host your own sites - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some day home computers will be enough to host your own sites

2»

Comments

• I'm waiting for your Offer Thread.

I really really waiting for your Offer Thread.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • classy said: Sure it would work :-) But nobody likes slow, packet dropping home-hosted WP sites, right?

It will probably work fine, most of the time, but it's a risk you're taking..

That's wright. That's why I' talking for a non-important wp personal blog with very minimal visits. Also, for mail server, it should work fine in most cases, but again, there is a big risk for your home ip. Any ISP would not be so happy if an ip like this become blacklisted...
    Anyhow, in my area, with an upload of 800Kbps in the best scenario, even a personal ftp server for exchanging my files, will be suffer. So... TL;DR, No!

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited November 2015

ErawanArifNugroho said: I really really waiting for your Offer Thread.

You won't wait long. THeir home datacenter is almost ready to be operative!

And they also have a backup in different location (mom's house)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

jvnadr said: for mail server, it should work fine in most cases

You can't really run a sending mail server from a residential connection. Most often you won't have the ability to set rDNS, and even if you can, you'll find it's already considered a spam source by various blacklists, even without doing anything from the particular IP, the whole range likely already blacklisted as "residential => nobody sends legit mail from there, only spam from infected Windows PCs".

Run receive only at home if you want to, but sending is best done either through a VPS/dedi, or via some large scale public free mail service which allows you to redefine "From" to a domain other than theirs.

• rm_ said: You can't really run a sending mail server from a residential connection.

It's one thing the ability to setup and use a main server from home, and a different thing that your mails won't ever reach most of legitime providers :-)
    (Of course, I totally agree with you and, let me say, it is too risky to receive mails in your residential ip)

• Works fine with consumer HW - about half of ours at home is just off-the-shelf i7s/Celeron SoCs, the other half being older HP servers that have either the same or less power at (far) more power usage.

Power essentially costs the same (in most countries) as in a "normal" local (same city, next large city area or at least same country) DC considering both is just the normal mains power and while you pay VAT/other Tax shit they have to pay for AC and more hardware that can fail/has initial costs (transformers for example).

BW is mainly the issue, can't get much more than like 16Mbit SDSL at a high price in rural Europe (or even smaller "towns") - In most cities you can surely get fiber but likely not to your home or only as consumer plans, pricing depends heavily on city/country - Stockholm cheaper than Madrid obviously. You likely end up backhauling to a local DC anyway at one traffic point (i.e. when your "business" ISP is charging you more per Mbit than transport by him + BW in DC costs) which will also eat your profits (though enable better quality by likely less shared network infrastructure in the DC).

• i have been doing that. Power cost, dynamic IP, limited upload speed and blacklisted IP range make it barely worth it though.

• Hidden_Refuge said: Facebook is shit ;) .

+1

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • 2bb32bb3 Member
    edited November 2015

Some people do that for email/personal website behind a VPN: your data is at home and your IP is not a residencial one. Great from a privacy perspective as you have to KNOW if someone access your machine physically, and a legal warrant has to be issued.

• @2bb3 said:
    Some people do that for email/personal website behind a VPN: your data is at home and your IP is not a residencial one. Great from a privacy perspective as you have to KNOW if someone access your machine physically, and a legal warrant has to be issued if they are caught.

FTFY

Thanked by 12bb3
  • EphemeralEclipse said: if they are caught.

Well, not necessarily, if someone wants to access their data. i meant that it's a way to have physical control over your data :)