Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some day home computers will be enough to host your own sites
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Some day home computers will be enough to host your own sites

asilasil Member
edited November 2015 in General

No? What do you think? I think some times any body will host his own website from home

Thanked by 1xaoc

Comments

• You can easily, but cost (power, ISP, cooling, etc...) and uptime are a limiting factor,
    Your home will not be able to compete with Datacentre level power and network redundancy. Not forgetting the cost savings in scaling.

Thanked by 1howardsl2
  • Many ISPs don't allow it. Many ISPs use carrier grade NAT. People don't want the security nightmare of having the world access their PC.

Other than that, for lots of things you can use a raspberry or other low power device and it would be fine. People used to host at home, but not any more because it's just a really stupid idea.

• 0xdragon said: They already are.

And allow me to add, that they've always been.

• @netomx said:
    I am getting tired of this guy :/

Me too.

• The same could be said about power generation, or food production.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • bohdans said: You can easily, but cost (power, ISP, cooling, etc...) and uptime are a limiting factor

Cost? You already have Internet, power, and climate control in your home to make it habitable. If you have a spare PC or Raspberry Pi lying around, I am pretty sure the costs of hosting a basic website from one's home are lower even than LET prices.

ISPs have restrictions in their policies dating back to before the P2P age so that they can unplug you if you start maxing out your upload capacity 24/7 by running a website.

Nowadays, at the current levels of P2P traffic that they have to deal with, I doubt they even remotely care about individuals hosting their own websites.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

singsing said: If you have a spare PC or Raspberry Pi lying around, I am pretty sure the costs of hosting a basic website from one's home are lower even than LET prices.

I think you underestimate the power cost of a PC, especially older ones.

Thanked by 4netomx Aga 4n0nx Fidde
  • elgselgs Member
    edited November 2015

We did it 10-15 years ago, when there was no VPS, with some sort of dynamic dns.

• joepie91 said: I think you underestimate the power cost of a PC, especially older ones.

Well, I said "spare", not "old". Depends what you usually put into your PC.

• singsing said: Well, I said "spare", not "old". Depends what you usually put into your PC.

At average North American prices a raspberry pi will use about $3 per year, perhaps slightly more - putting them in the same category as the bottom end LEB price except you still need to buy one. An old PC uses about $40 to $60 per year, and a laptop about that as well. A modern desktop is computationally much (extremely) more efficient, but will probably use at least twice as much.

• vRozenSch00nvRozenSch00n Member
    edited November 2015

netomx said: I am getting tired of this guy :/

Don't. It is a prerequisite to be active in LET to be a provider :)

He/she is only running the procedure :P

Thanked by 1netomx
  • vRozenSch00n said: He/she is only running the procedure :P

Ha ha ha! But then why is he/she suggesting people host sites at home ...

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @0xdragon said:
    They already are.

That's what I thought when I read the title.

• singsing said: But then why is he/she suggesting people host sites at home

To get feedback that it would be cheaper to host in his/her company :P

Thanked by 1netomx
  • edited November 2015

@Ole_Juul said:
    Many ISPs don't allow it. Many ISPs use carrier grade NAT.

And meanwhile some other ISPs still don't adopt it and have a really long lease time for IP addresses. ._.

• cassacassa Member
    edited November 2015

Nvm

• Me four.

Thanked by 1Aga
  • Ole_Juul said: A modern desktop is computationally much (extremely) more efficient, but will probably use at least twice as much.

Depends an i5idling can use 15 watt with the correct mobo and hdd. peak would be around 70 though, but only for heavy calculation. You'd probably max out the upload speed before (and anyway it would cost more in datacenter)

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • @elgs said:
    We did it 10-15 years ago, when there was no VPS, with some sort of dynamic dns.

+1

• yeah, but take care the IPs

• People don't care about their own sites any more. They have facebook.

• @rds100 said:

Facebook is the internet.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited November 2015

rds100 said: People don't care about their own sites any more. They have facebook.

Indeed. More and more small companies, rely for their network present to Facebook, as an easy, cheap-to-nothing solution for an interactive relationship with their clients.
    It's funny, from free geocities webpages that many small companies made in the early '00, thew went to expensive websites and now, they are getting back to free but no controllable solutions... Shat will happen when FB decides to charge them, or change rules or, even, become something like MySpace in terms of popularity?

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited November 2015

@Ole_Juul said:

Facebook is shit ;) .

On topic: People been doing that for decades now. Some have small basement DCs with a normal rack with the servers and switches and et cetera in a room with AC. Others use spare computers. And the 3rd kind uses small devices like Raspberry Pis and similar (thin clients and stuff like that).

3rd option is actually pretty good if you find the proper hardware. The RPi 2 is good but there are other alternatives with even more power and resources for the same money or a bit more. RPi 1 is kinda weak but good for some LAN things with only access from a few people. Power usage is around all the same unless you go and overlock that baby. So this onetime investment is affordable. Cost per year is going to be pretty low.

I know some of the American guys here have UPS at home which take over on power failures. I don't have that. Power failures are extremely rare here. They are either announced or unnatural and both really happen really rare in my area. The best thing maybe is that you can power such a small computer like the Raspberry Pi with a powerful battery for hours meanwhile the power is being fixed.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Home hosting is only useful for things you don't want to be reachable outside your network: NFS, LAN games, etc

Even people with fiber at home have shit internet. One wrong twist in your cable and your link is dead. No redundancy, let alone proper capacity to expose a webservice to the internet.

Even with AC, UPS, it's a joke to think you can run of a residential internet line unless you either run low bandwidth applications (bitcoin mine farm maybe) but what's the thing you're "hosting" then? OR if you have redundant lines, at which point, just colo in a proper DC already...

• classy said: what's the thing you're "hosting" then?

A small WP blog with 30-50 visitors per day, couyld easily be hosted in a RPi2 in home. Very low to recourses and minimal traffic.
    Also, a small email server to be used for receiving - sending 20-30 emails per day for personal usage. Although, in many cases, there will arise issues with the residential ip...

• @jvnadr said:
    Also, a small email server to be used for receiving - sending 20-30 emails per day for personal usage. Although, in many cases, there will arise issues with the residential ip...

Sure it would work :-) But nobody likes slow, packet dropping home-hosted WP sites, right?

It will probably work fine, most of the time, but it's a risk you're taking..