Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do most low end providers offer rDNS? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do most low end providers offer rDNS?

2»

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited November 2015

@winnervps said:
    NO. we don't allow to set rDNS automatically, but manually upon justification. Unless if you are a SPAMMER. A very large portion of SPAMMER do this, indeed.

I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the rest of the le* hosts.

• We provide rDNS for vps and dedicated servers, but we require justification and a real working website that will use the rdns. We do this to avoid spammers ruining our ip and company reputation.

• EvolutionHostEvolutionHost Member, Host Rep

We have found that a significant quantity of clients wanted to use rDNS. This prompted us to allow rDNS records setting via the control panel as the number of requests coming in was taking too much time to manually process. The clients seem a lot happier being able to do it themselves anyway.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

ceibaNet said: we require justification and a real working website

This is crazy, as a provider YOU should have the proper measures setup to monitor for such activities especially on vps's with either rate limiting and if you are using openvz nodewatch. It wont catch all the spam but it will be prevent a butt load from being sent out. On dedicated server if you require justification then sorry I wont being buying one from you.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • While not mandatory as per RFCs, having rDNS records is still regarded as best practice... and makes life a tiny bit easier in a variety of situations (other than repelling spammers, in which case it's probably more effective to block some ports)

"last login from 2001:DB8:4BFC:6A4:F10A:11F:15C4:F53F", huh, who was that again? >_<

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • AuroraZ said: You can not send a mail to my personal email anymore without rdns.

I was wondering why you never came to pick up the money I offered you.

AuroraZ said: I bounce everything else and if it is important then people need to fix their emails.

I think Postel's law should apply to this. "Be conservative in what you send, be liberal in what you accept"

As I mentioned earlier, it is bad form to block on a single item. It is best to give weight to each individual item and then block based on the total. You see, someone could have no rDNS, or any number of things wrong, at some point for some reason which they might not even realize at the time. You can't fix the world by playing tough cop. That only makes you look bad and reflects poorly on your IT sensibilities.

• Yes we do, and it's also true that the majority of "customers" that set rDNS are just spammers, but we've implemented an outbound email filter to deal with this instead of bothering legit customers that want to set rDNS by themselves.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul