Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do most low end providers offer rDNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do most low end providers offer rDNS?

Last year I got a VPS and after a while I noticed rDNS was no longer offered in the control panel. A few months back they changed ownership so perhaps that has something to do with it. Ten days ago I asked them to set it up for me and they said they were working on their DNS system and would let me know when it was done. I'm not in a great hurry and told them so (not expecting the world for $10/year).

Anyway, I'm just wondering how common it is not to be able to provide rDNS.

Comments

• IgniteServersIgniteServers Member
    edited November 2015

Yep we do, some don't usually only spammers want rDNS is what most LEB providers say.

• yes, they do.

for all of my current VPS I can set rDNS :)

• winnervpswinnervps Member, Host Rep

rDNS is something related upon justification, usually. So, someone might take a good care of it.

• @winnervps said:
    rDNS is something related upon justification, usually. So, someone might take a good care of it.

No, not 'usually'. A very large proportion of hosts allow the client to set rDNS via their control panel.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

We do provide rdns via Client Area.

• I believe most providers do but they also have some concern on spam. So state your usage clearly and honestly to the providers will greatly help.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul

@Nekki said:
    No, not 'usually'. A very large proportion of hosts allow the client to set rDNS via their control panel.

NO. we don't allow to set rDNS automatically, but manually upon justification. Unless if you are a SPAMMER. A very large portion of SPAMMER do this, indeed.

Thanked by 1webcraft

@elgs said:
    I believe most providers do but they also have some concern on spam. So state your usage clearly and honestly to the providers will greatly help.

Yes, I believe it is the honest way to do so. Otherwise, hosts will end up becoming a 'target of blame'.

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul webcraft
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@winnervps said: equally a very large portion of normal Customers do that as well. I don't understand what's your problem with rDNS?

Thanked by 1asf
  • I do understand the problem with rDNS, so don't expect it to be set without justification. I'm just surprised that it isn't yet available and hasn't been for many months. The VPS provider in this case was very responsive and didn't have any problem with it - except they don't have it available yet.

I'm just wanting to run a personal mail server so I'm sure no provider would mind - especially if I've been a trouble free client for a long time.

Not heaving an option to set the rDNS or making it difficult to your Customers, isn't really a way of spam protection, is it?

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • Clouvider said: Not heaving an option to set the rDNS or making it difficult to your Customers, isn't really a way of spam protection, is it?

I'm wondering if it could have to do with who owns the IPs though.

Might be, the provider should look into provider friendly providers then ;-).

• Well maybe rather than everyone saying they're concerned about spammers... you should keep an eye over your powerdns database / zone files, record changes, setup alerts... just sayin' yo

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Jacob said:
    Well maybe rather than everyone saying they're concerned about spammers... you should keep an eye over your powerdns database / zone files, record changes, setup alerts... just sayin' yo

And, you know, only allow rDNS to be set when the corresponding A record points to that IP.

• Citing things like spam prevention make it a case of less-clueful provider in my estimation, and thus a provider I would avoid. (What else might they be so misinformed about?)

• zed said: Citing things like spam prevention make it a case of less-clueful provider

The provider did not cite that. They said they were configuring the DNS server. I have no reason to believe they are "less-clueful". I was just wondering what the norm was, particularly since (if I remember correctly) this was not in the CP before they took over. Of course that could just be because they wanted you to ask for it - which is fine by me. I could just have asked at an awkward time.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2015

Do they use SolusVM? SolusVM had one system for providing rDNS in the past, then broke it and introduced a new system. Perhaps the provider haven't bothered to implement the new system yet.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • rds100 said: Perhaps the provider haven't bothered to implement the new system yet.

Now that could explain what happened with the change I saw under the previous owner.

• @winnervps said:
    NO SPAMMER SPAMMER

That could become the summer chart hit of 2016!

edited November 2015

@Clouvider said:
    winnervps said: equally a very large portion of normal Customers do that as well. I don't understand what's your problem with rDNS?

What would be the function of the rDNS, and why do people need that, based on your experiences? @Ole_Juul what would be yours? Why do you need that for? (usually is DKIM/SPF matter right?)

I don't really understand with @Clouvider problem with rDNS as we don't have, as said so and I don't like to start a flame neither.

• What timing! I just checked my e-mail and there's a message apologizing for the delay and explaining that they had trouble recovering the DNS server which they had inherited and that they had just now set up a new one. Reverse DNS is now available to all those migrated customers. For such a low end box, I think the service is very good, and uptime has been stable too.

I'm still interested in what people have to say regarding my original question though.

edited November 2015

@Ole_Juul to your question "why providers don't have a feature of rDNS?"

Because they (the providers) simply don't have the access to the nameserver's IP or they are a third party and in this case, the second party is too "lazy" to let them set the IP up to the first party.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • winnervps said: What would be the function of the rDNS, and why do people need that, based on your experiences? @Ole_Juul what would be yours? Why do you need that for? (usually is DKIM/SPF matter right?)

Most large e-mail providers will reject e-mail from a server without rDNS. Google marks it as spam, others reject it outright. Interestingly Yahoo! passes them. So, as you see, it is frustrating to try to send e-mail without having your rDNS set.

I think it is bad form to refuse incoming mail based on a single criterion. It is best to use a weighted system. But these days even big providers don't care about good form.

Thanked by 1winnervps

@Ole_Juul said:

I love honest answer Ole ;p

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • @Ole_Juul said:
    I do understand the problem with rDNS, so don't expect it to be set without justification.

winnervps said: NO. we don't allow to set rDNS automatically, but manually upon justification.

What is this justification crap? You shouldn't need any justification to setup rDNS. If there is an A record pointing some name to your IP, you should make it possible to set a PTR record back to that name.

Looking at my LibreNMS, I have 46 servers (most VPS but a few dedicated), all from different providers and all of them have rDNS setup. Not because it's needed for reasons of sending mail, just because it should be setup. Some providers allow you to set it via the panel, but that only happens usually when they have their own IP space or the pool allocated to them is a /24 or /16, something that is easy to delegate. Otherwise you just open a ticket: "please set the PTR for x.x.x.x to whatever.blah.com, thanks!" done.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • sinsin Member
    edited November 2015

winnervps said: rDNS is something related upon justification, usually

I've never had to do any of that with 99% of the providers I use, practically everyone allows you to set it through a control panel without justification. A lot of times personal email can't even get through to major services like gmail, hotmail, etc without rDNS set...they won't even mark it as spam they will just straight up block it.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Ole_Juul
  • lbftlbft Member
    edited November 2015

winnervps said: What would be the function of the rDNS, and why do people need that

Sending email. Someone who signs up for a dozen cheap VPSes each with the max extra IPs and immediately asks for RDNS set to dictionaryword.shittydomain.spammytld is obviously suspect, but most websites need to be able to send mail (e.g. password recoveries, forum notifications or shop purchases), most people won't do the sensible thing and get an account with an email service provider like Amazon SES, and if you want any chance of deliverability whatsoever for legit email in 2015 you need RDNS.

Are you saying that your services are so fucking useless that nobody tries to run legitimate websites on them?

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • You can not send a mail to my personal email anymore without rdns. I have it setup this way on purpose to try make it more difficult to get the spam through. It is only one of things that has to be correct in the chain for a mail to reach my inbox.

I bounce everything else and if it is important then people need to fix their emails. I have a gmail address that gets all of forum/net related things. My personal email is used for some business things and family only. They have no problems contacting me so the rest can be left in the ether of the internet.