Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do we need another open source webhosting panel? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do we need another open source webhosting panel?

2»

Comments

• @cassa said:
    Why not contribute to the existing panels?

1. Which one?
    2. Where do I start?
    3. If I don't like the UI, and I do change it, what then?
  • classyclassy Member
    edited November 2015

@joepie91 said:
    It is. There is one global event loop implementation with one set of primitives that everything uses.

What I mean is if you need to do heavy computing you're always better off with a native module. At which point using a native thread is trivial.

Btw, the node event loop is just an infinite while loop calling libuv and timer callbacks.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited November 2015

It'd be worth taking all the popular panels out there and doing a feature comparison, what features or missing, what licensing it uses, whether they're still active, how they can be improved etc.

It'd perhaps take a few days to do but really gives you the groundwork needed for an informed decision/discussion.

Wiki does have a foundation to start with. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_hosting_control_panels

What's maybe a good barometer is those panels who are IPv6 / HTTP2 and any emerging technology friendly. Fag packet calculation says there's probably only half a dozen worth considering into a 'final round' of comparison of features.

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

classy said: What I mean is if you need to do heavy computing you're always better off with a native module. At which point using a native thread is trivial.

At that point, you're basically writing C++ rather than Node. Which is fine for the occasional bit of computation (eg. hashing a password), but if your application is all heavy computation, then you probably just shouldn't be using Node to begin with.

• @joepie91 said:
    At that point, you're basically writing C++ rather than Node. Which is fine for the occasional bit of computation (eg. hashing a password), but if your application is all heavy computation, then you probably just shouldn't be using Node to begin with.

Agree. Now we're at the same frequency :-)