Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transip STACK - free 1TB owncloud - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Transip STACK - free 1TB owncloud

Comments

• Falzo said: don't understand much dutch from their page, but figured you would need a NL IP to sign on, hence used a VPN service for that.

One wonders what we thought they were trying to do by requiring dutch ip's but believing vpn's counted as that.

• @willie said:

Falzo said: don't understand much dutch from their page, but figured you would need a NL IP to sign on, hence used a VPN service for that.

One wonders what we thought they were trying to do by requiring dutch ip's but believing vpn's counted as that.

this is LET ... do we even think? :-)

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited January 2017

You'd be better starting fresh with a new email & not using a public VPN IMO.

Do they plan to keep this free owncloud up (and free) for a long time? Any information on that from Transip for those who can read dutch?

• If your VPN didn't work, try using a Dedicated IP VPN instead. That worked for me.

• @dennisschwartz said:
    If your VPN didn't work, try using a Dedicated IP VPN instead. That worked for me.

Not all of us have an idling NL VPS make it through our intermittent server herd thinnings that happen over the years, unfortunately.

• If anyone has an extra invite code please PM it to me :)

Thanks

• DormeoDormeo Member
    edited January 2017

Why they do this? What is the benefit for them? This business model can be working?

Or they just want to steal/use your data..

Keep in mind they are a small company and as I think many Dutch and non-Dutch users are using their storage. This size of storage (and bandwidth) can't be so cheap... They use raid on free accounts too.

• user123 said: Not all of us have an idling NL VPS make it through our intermittent server herd thinnings that happen over the years, unfortunately.

Pop up a vulrt or scaleway instance, then delete it when you're done!

Thanked by 1dennisschwartz
  • @datanoise said:

user123 said: Not all of us have an idling NL VPS make it through our intermittent server herd thinnings that happen over the years, unfortunately.

I don't have an account with either, but that's an idea. Though, it wouldn't really be a private/dedicated IP, since it goes back to the pool once the instance is off, afaik.

• @datanoise said:
    You'd be better starting fresh with a new email & not using a public VPN IMO.

Do they plan to keep this free owncloud up (and free) for a long time? Any information on that from Transip for those who can read dutch?

I'm Dutch, but I couldn't find anything on when the offer expires or anything useful. I can contact them if people is interested, and ask when it expires or how long they plan on keeping the free accounts.

Thanked by 1datanoise
  • user123 said: Though, it wouldn't really be a private/dedicated IP, since it goes back to the pool once the instance is off, afaik.

You're right, but the chances are probably lower than when using a free or cheap VPN with shared IP.

• Transip is well known in the dutch hosting business, its certainly not a small company, they wont run away.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @datanoise said:

user123 said: Not all of us have an idling NL VPS make it through our intermittent server herd thinnings that happen over the years, unfortunately.

That should work. Also some VPN providers, like NordVPN, have specific Dedicated IP servers.

• I do have to wonder what they're doing giving away that much storage. When they first advertised it, invites went out very slowly and I thought it was some kind of beta test offering of relatively limited size. But they have to have given out 100s(?) of these things by now, which adds up.

• @joodle said:
    Transip is well known in the dutch ghosting business, its certainly not a small company, they wont run away.

I was about to say the same. They're quite reputable. Looks like they're using the free account to give people a taste of their service hoping they'll upgrade to a payed plan in the future.

• @user123 said:
    Not all of us have an idling NL VPS make it through our intermittent server herd thinnings that happen over the years, unfortunately.

you herd is really badly maintained, friend. You should stock up immediately!
    At least this time, for once, you'll have justification! You need the new box to get another new box. If that isn't reason enough...

Thanked by 1user123
  • Saragoldfarb said: Looks like they're using the free account to give people a taste of their service hoping they'll upgrade to a payed plan in the future.

That's a common strategy, but there's a limit to how much value you can give away without losing your shirt ;).

• @willie said:

Saragoldfarb said: Looks like they're using the free account to give people a taste of their service hoping they'll upgrade to a payed plan in the future.

That's a common strategy, but there's a limit to how much value you can give away without losing your shirt ;).

What if we want to see the provider's formidable one-pack?

• @willie said:

Saragoldfarb said: Looks like they're using the free account to give people a taste of their service hoping they'll upgrade to a payed plan in the future.

True. It's quite a big company though so they probably have enough resources to make it work. Will it last forever? I dunno. But they're trustworthy so it'll work nicely as a backup location. May they decide to discontinue this service they won't close it down overnight so you'll have time to move elsewhere. Meanwhile I'm enjoying this free space :)

• anyone have invite code ? three day still no email For code

• @cxlg66you said:
    anyone have invite code ? three day still no email For code

Same. I also need an invite code. I requested it days ago but nothing so far.

• @cxlg66you said:

That can take a while

• @default said:

@cxlg66you said:

Same. I also need an invite code. I requested it days ago but nothing so far.

yeah

• @farsighter said:

@cxlg66you said:

That can take a while

only wait :-)

• Haha, I got multiple accounts, I simply took my bike, drove 20km to accross the border to the nearest dutch village and connected to a couple of free hotspots.

• polzpolz Member

any alternatif to upload via web interface to remote this webdav ? or simple script from vps

• kendidkendid Veteran

just got this ... thanks op!

• they ban me with opera holland proxy , can anyone help me ? nnurullah : skype

• @emelie said:
    they ban me with opera holland proxy , can anyone help me ? nnurullah : skype

they banned your account for using proxy or you can't register with it?

This discussion has been closed.