Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Website down? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Website down?

Comments

• @dominicl said: It is. My VPS servers are currently in Chicago, and the shared server is in the UK.

Sorry, I meant on a dedicated server, out of network. Also, are you focusing on a US demographic or UK ?

If US demo, why put the site on a shared cPanel server in the UK and up latency ~90-150 ms?

Sorry, I'm just sort of a Michael Clayton / company fixer for LEB VPS companies (and LEB DC's...) and poking holes in your plan.

Don't mean to be having a go, just suggesting changes in your infrastructure.

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Kris said: Sorry, I meant on a dedicated server, out of network. Also, are you focusing on a US demographic or UK ?

US.

@Kris said: Sorry, I'm just sort of a Michael Clayton / company fixer for LEB VPS companies (and LEB DC's...) and poking holes in your plan.

Don't mean to be having a go, just suggesting changes in your infrastructure.

I understand ;) Could grab it on a US VPS with CloudFlare for now and then move to something more decent when I have a bit more cash such as a "corporate" Dedicated Server.

• @dominicl said: I understand ;) Could grab it on a US VPS with CloudFlare for now and then move to something more decent when I have a bit more cash such as a "corporate" Dedicated Server.

That would be your best bet. BuyVM Buffalo, RamNode, also Hostigation come to mind. Server up in minutes, cPanel installed in ~ 1 hour, 14 day free trial automatically setup upon WHM setup, scp & restorepkg.

@Kris said: That would be your best bet.

Don't need cPanel really to be honest. Only got it because it was on a shared server. Would probably stick with SolaDrive as I have SSL and WHMCS with them and it's cheaper than elsewhere. Their services are perfectly good with 24/7 support if needed

• Oh well, I tried.

Good luck with your setup.

@Kris said: That would be your best bet. BuyVM Buffalo, RamNode, also Hostigation come to mind.

@Kris said: Oh well, I tried.

That's why I'm using your advice to switch to a VPS :P It doesn't have to be one of those providers. There's nothing different about them really. A VPS is a VPS.

• Whoops, thought you meant stick with their shared hosting.

Ask for a VPS in their CA location :)

@Kris said: Ask for a VPS in their CA location :)

LA you mean? or PA?

• Only saw UK and LA before, but honestly - there's only one DC I know of in Scranton, PA... And on that note, LA.

edited December 2012

@Kris said: Only saw UK and LA before, but honestly - there's only one DC I know of in Scranton, PA...

And I think they use them. I get nearly 200ms to LA which isn't the best for working on the site regularly. They use VD but have their own network etc in the DC. Apparantely it's not too bad.

so really it's uk or pa, considering their VD network isn't awful

LA I get 200ms too but it's their most stable network. Other 2 are Scranton (Their own network in VD) and the UK

Gonna give PA a try. They tell me it's good.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

tldr the whole thing,

However I am hosting a couple of production sites on a 1GB VPS, without any problem, they generate good traffic as well. I find it useless to purchase a dedi for that, as I keep my infrastructure on different servers and DCs - solusvm, mail servers, WHMCS, sites, blog and etc. To minimalise the effect of any disaster.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: However I am hosting a couple of production sites on a 1GB VPS, without any problem, they generate good traffic as well. I find it useless to purchase a dedi for that, as I keep my infrastructure on different servers and DCs - solusvm, mail servers, WHMCS, sites, blog and etc. To minimalise the effect of any disaster.

This.

You don't need a dedicated server for every single part. Just have them on different network is honestly good enough.

• On a side note @dominicl I heard @AsadHaider was interested in your i3

• Fuck off @Spencer

@Alex_LiquidHost said: However I am hosting a couple of production sites on a 1GB VPS

This, just got a VPS from SolaDrive to replace the shared account.

@Spencer said: On a side note @dominicl I heard @AsadHaider was interested in your i3

@PhilND now owns it. Sorry.

• @joepie91 said: Right now we have KPN, yes. Not planning on moving to XS4ALL (too expensive), but going to move to T-Mobile. KPN wasn't my choice, it was already here when I moved in. Horrible horrible connection.

Yep. That's why I recommand XS4All. It doesn't suck that much. But you pay more (at least with ADSL, with fiber I doubt it). I pay the premium just for their infrastructure (and connectivity) and STBs. I mostly get a solid 11MB/s+ download speed and I have centralized TV recordings.

• LeeLee Veteran

I could have sworn this looked like a thread suggesting Dominic has started another host despite what has already transpired and what he said about not starting again.

Must need sleep, I am seeing things...

• KrisKris Member
    edited December 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: You don't need a dedicated server for every single part. Just have them on different network is honestly good enough.

If you sell VPS servers, and your site goes down because someone on the VPS node you're on is attacked, say - causing a ton of network downtime - You'll look like an amateur. No one said needing a dedicated server for every single part, but if you're going to sell VPS servers - spend enough money to keep your site up, without unknown VPS containers being a point of failure.

I guess in some cases, low end hosts use low end hosting themselves.

• Your website loads alright here, loaded in under a couple secs. I'm from California, US.

@N_Serian said: Your website loads alright here, loaded in under a couple secs. I'm from California, US.

Seems fine now. Switching to a VPS so you might have proped :P

• @Kris said: If you sell VPS servers, and your site goes down because someone on the VPS node you're on is attacked, say - causing a ton of network downtime - You'll look like an amateur. No one said needing a dedicated server for every single part, but if you're going to sell VPS servers - spend enough money to keep your site up, without unknown VPS containers being a point of failure.

I guess in some cases, low end hosts use low end hosting themselves.

I think you're making a huge mistake on this assuming VPS containers are unreliable.

What matters is that you're getting VPS hosting from a provider that knows how to actually run a VPS hosting business. You're assuming that no matter what there's going to be someone abusing resources or getting DDoSed. While yes the chance of that may be true the VPS Provider (the one your main site is on) should be already able to take care of that client before it happened (preemptively protecting you).

Even then you can have a fail-over system (using a *FREE SERVICE** like Rage4 DNS) where you can rsync your website with another VPS (and you can obviously continue down the line with more VPSes). In today's time and age you don't need a dedicated server most of the time. Its cheaper, more economical, and honestly even sometimes more stable to go with VPS hosting/services than to go with a Dedicated Server.

By going with a dedicated server, you're exposing yourself to a single point of failure (whether it be hardware or network) while using VPSes to host your main site (and rsyncing them across one or two more then setting up a fail-over system) you spend MUCH LESS.

tl,dr: your advice assumes several things which become negligible if you set it up right, although I will admit are valid concerns.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@mpkossen said: Yep. That's why I recommand XS4All. It doesn't suck that much. But you pay more (at least with ADSL, with fiber I doubt it). I pay the premium just for their infrastructure (and connectivity) and STBs. I mostly get a solid 11MB/s+ download speed and I have centralized TV recordings.

T-Mobile is quite awesome too ;) Had ADSL at another address with them for like 2 years, not a single blip, other than one planned maintenance that was announced by email far before it happened. Perfectly stable connection, you could draw a graph of speed and latency over time, and it'd be a straight line.

• web site is OK but I can not access your client area

Site error: the file /var/www/html/clients/index.php requires the ionCube PHP Loader ioncube_loader_lin_5.3.so to be installed by the website operator. If you are the website operator please use the ionCube Loader Wizard to assist with installation.

• Get ready for a "How to configure IonCube" thread lol :P

• Oh sht no easyapache

• KrisKris Member
    edited December 2012

@HalfEatenPie said: By going with a dedicated server, you're exposing yourself to a single point of failure (whether it be hardware or network) while using VPSes to host your main site (and rsyncing them across one or two more then setting up a fail-over system) you spend MUCH LESS.

As opposed to the 30+ points of failure of other VPS machines on the node.

@HalfEatenPie said: honestly even sometimes more stable to go with VPS hosting/services than to go with a Dedicated Server.

Not in this instance. Your VPS is only as robust and stable as the host that administrates it. If you pick a host that can not settle a DoS attack on a server within an hour (like in this instance) the VPS, or shared hosting in this case, loses.

@HalfEatenPie said: You're assuming that no matter what there's going to be someone abusing resources or getting DDoSed. While yes the chance of that may be true the VPS Provider (the one your main site is on) should be already able to take care of that client before it happened (preemptively protecting you).

That's usually the case with VPS providers, but not in this case. They not only didn't preemptively protect him, but dragged their ass in getting it fixed.

If the OP was with a more expensive, intelligent host / VPS provider such as LiquidWeb or a major DC, while he would be paying dearly for it, there would not have been such issues with getting the attack settled.

I just find it off that a VPS & dedicated server provider has to explain that his site was down because site was on a shared server within a VPS in the UK that was attacked. Site was probably $3.50 for a shared hosting package. That doesn't instill faith, that seems more like a fly by night operation.

TL;DR - Yes, if a VPS cluster was setup properly by someone who knows how to cluster / setup fail-overs - your solution would be cheap and brilliant. I don't think he could keep up the cluster setup going. He'd be better off on an expensive, yet stable LiquidWeb VPS. Expensive, but support will hold your hand.

• KrisKris Member
    edited December 2012

@Zen said: Yeah, because a host being on cheap servers is worrying you, but a host paying out the ass prices (bad business sense) for a VPS and not having a fucking clue how to manage it WHILE SELLING THEM HIMSELF is absolutely fine. Seems legit!

Better than a host who doesn't know a thing using a data center who knows just about the same.

The fact he's using UK shared hosting, while selling hosting means he clearly should run away from the business.

This will not happen, as history serves. Therefore I gave some advice.

I didn't offer a bloody business plan.

@Zen said: Cause he's moved the site over and screwed up the PHP compile (probably used some setup script)

Wrong. Maybe because I hadn't installed Ioncube yet?

@GetKVM_Ash said: Get ready for a "How to configure IonCube" thread lol :P

Also wrong. I have installed IonCube many times and as you will see it now works absolutely fine.