Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Refunding Unused Account Credit - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Refunding Unused Account Credit

2»

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Erm... Paypal only send payment if you tell them to.

But because you forgot to look after your own paypal account is a good example of when hosts should send money back.

• japonjapon Member
    edited December 2012

I normally go ahead and add some funds to my account. This way I don't have to care about the payment of the bills as they will be payed from the fund that was added before. However, if I cancel the Service, I have the right to get the unused funds back. Legally, they are just a loan without an interest rate.

• @Nyr said: In the EU, that's a right you have as a costumer IIRC, to be refunded in real money and not "store credit".

No. You can get store credit or a refund. Both are OK.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@mpkossen said: Both are OK.

At least in physical stores, you have the right to get your money back and that means money, not any kind of store credit. For example if you buy clothes and you end returning some of them.

Same with online transactions, you can get your money back (including shipping costs to you, if applicable) during the next 15 days after the purchase.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012

@Nyr said: At least in physical stores, you have the right to get your money back and that means money, not any kind of store credit. For example if you buy clothes and you end returning some of them.

Actually, that is not true. In the Netherlands, it is perfectly fine for a store to give a credit coupon (at least, in most cases). The story is a bit different if a malfunctioning product has been sold - in which case a replacement is acceptable, and if that cannot be provided, you can demand money back.

@Nyr said: Same with online transactions, you can get your money back (including shipping costs to you, if applicable) during the next 15 days after the purchase.

This depends on the legislation in a particular country. To my knowledge there are no EU-wide regulations on this.

@joepie91 said: Actually, that is not true. In the Netherlands, it is perfectly fine for a store to give a credit coupon (at least, in most cases).

In Spain, consumer organizations always say that on TV and the likes, but honestly I don't know about the legal basis.

@joepie91 said: To my knowledge there are no EU-wide regulations on this.

There are recent EU-wide regulations about that, but you have only a week and not two as I thought:
    http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/online-shopping/returning-unwanted-goods/index_en.htm

• @Nyr said: At least in physical stores, you have the right to get your money back and that means money, not any kind of store credit.

Seems anti-consumer in some situations, say a second hand store. Is there no exception for a merchant to declare all sales final for some things? Without that option, the consumer drives up costs, and costs are always passed on, meaning in the end, you pay more.

@miTgiB some Chinese stores here declare that the sales are final, but I have no idea of how that stands legally.

• @Nyr said: some Chinese stores

the Chinese make an Olympic sport of haggling, they may do it to troll ;)

• @joepie91 said: Actually, that is not true. In the Netherlands, it is perfectly fine for a store to give a credit coupon (at least, in most cases). The story is a bit different if a malfunctioning product has been sold - in which case a replacement is acceptable, and if that cannot be provided, you can demand money back.

This is what, for example, H&M does. They give credit for products that are returned from an internet purchase for those bought in the wrong size. If the product is really broken, you can get your money back (given that you have the receipt). They wouldn't do it if there would be no legal basis for it.