Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Refunding Unused Account Credit
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Refunding Unused Account Credit

SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
edited December 2012 in General

Do you do it?

We do, only if the customer isn't being a dick about it.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Gladly, if they don't consider a paypal dispute to be the way to notify me that they want it...

• @jarland said: if they don't consider a paypal dispute to be the way to notify me that they want it...

Basically what I meant by "only if the customer isn't being a dick about it." :)

• Nope. Account credit is there for the account, so they can feel free to purchase again.

• Only if its over $15, and was gained via been an affiliate.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well if they are not going to use it then refund it, taking in to account the age of it and - any costs for sending it back

• I had an accidental payment go off to ChicagoVPS, was polite and asked if it could be refunded.

They told me its their policy that if you want it back, you have to open a dispute for it. I decided that they could just keep my $7 at that point.

But on topic, yes, I would refund unused credit.

• @MrObvious, don't disputes put a black mark on your PP account? That's how I thought it worked. Or is this just chargebacks?

• fanfan Veteran

@Jono20201 said: a black mark on your PP account

Isn't the mark is on the seller's side?

• @fan said: Isn't the mark is on the seller's side?

Anything with PayPal is just black magic.

• @fan, that's what I meant.

• Account credit is not meant to be refunded back into real money at any point in time. Just ask any accountant you know.

• @Corey said: Account credit is not meant to be refunded back into real money at any point in time. Just ask any accountant you know.

True in real accounting, but we are talking WHMCS here, not real accounting, and if a client makes an over-payment it still becomes account credit in WHMCS, that should be refunded if requested, otherwise you are just stealing money.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited December 2012

@miTgiB said: True in real accounting, but we are talking WHMCS here, not real accounting, and if a client makes an over-payment it still becomes account credit in WHMCS, that should be refunded if requested, otherwise you are just stealing money.

So providers that use WHMCS as their billing system aren't doing real accounting? :)

I'm not sure if it's called stealing.. there is a bit of a gray area there... kinda like how stamps.com is a PITA to cancel and they won't refund anything.

• @SimpleNode said: Do you do it?

If it was caused in a situation like below, then yes. Otherwise, no.

Invoice #1 is due on the 12th (It is currently the 7th)
    Buyer pays it on the 9th
    Buyer has a PayPal subscription on the 11th, which causes the account to gain the same credit as Invoice #1's value. With the transaction ID, I'd gladly refund it.

• If not much time has passed since last payment and paypal still allows refunds to be issued (45 or 60 days it was, don't remember exactly), then we would gladly refund via paypal. However if it is past this refund deadline by paypal and we would actually need to send money to the customer - no way, our accountant would kill me for doing this.

• @Corey said: So providers that use WHMCS as their billing system aren't doing real accounting? :)

WHMCS is a billing system, not accounting, so don't confuse the two.

@Corey said: I'm not sure if it's called stealing.. there is a bit of a gray area there... kinda like how stamps.com is a PITA to cancel and they won't refund anything.

How do you give stamps.com money and not get postage in return? Postage can be used as currency at the post office.

• CoreyCorey Member
    edited December 2012

@miTgiB said: How do you give stamps.com money and not get postage in return? Postage can be used as currency at the post office.

You have to 'add funds' to your account... and when you cancel the account you can't get the 'credit' out. You only pay for what you are purchasing with account credit.

OR maybe I'm wrong..

I think my situation was this - I had a shipping label refunded because it was never used or something.. and that showed up as account credit in my account... and I couldn't get it out.... and they closed my account before telling me I couldn't get it out... when you cancel they don't let the account stay open until the end of the term.

Its not about what system you use, you can account for it either way, the fact remains it is ethical to refund account credit if you know it is not going to be used.

It is also ethical to retain part of that credit to cover your own costs if any.

• @AnthonySmith said: Its not about what system you use, you can account for it either way, the fact remains it is ethical to refund account credit if you know it is not going to be used.

It is also ethical to retain part of that credit to cover your own costs if any.

Usually the only people that ask for this are people that caused trouble already anyway.

@Corey well that is where 'Your Costs' come in to it then.

• @Corey said: Usually the only people that ask for this are people that caused trouble already anyway.

I disagree, I see this mostly from people that somehow setup 2 subscriptions, or otherwise made an over-payment. I received the funds in error, maybe not my error, but defiantly not my money to keep. takes me a whole minute, two at the most, to look into it and hit refund. Customer, past or current goes away happy, spreading good word of mouth, your best advertising, and it cost you nothing.

I find the same thing as miTgiB I think the real issue here is that to a lot of hosts 'refund' is a dirty word :)

• @miTgiB said: I disagree, I see this mostly from people that somehow setup 2 subscriptions, or otherwise made an over-payment. I received the funds in error, maybe not my error, but defiantly not my money to keep. takes me a whole minute, two at the most, to look into it and hit refund. Customer, past or current goes away happy, spreading good word of mouth, your best advertising, and it cost you nothing.

I don't see that near as much as .... someone gets suspended for abuse, they open a ticket asking for a refund of account credit.

• @Corey said: I don't see that near as much as .... someone gets suspended for abuse, they open a ticket asking for a refund of account credit.

I see near all paypal disputes for this reason, and they are simple, just escalate it and claim virtual goods, wins everytime.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said: 'refund' is a dirty word

Heck of a lot better word than "dispute" lol

• How much is your time worth?

$5 - 7 refund versus spending hours cleaning up WHT/LET/LEB comments, defending yourself, etc. and that's when the trolls / guttersnipes start crawling from under their rocks and before you know it, you have a pretty big waste of time on your hands - all over less than a dinner

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

I don't get chargebacks, is it not simple enough to just contact your provider and ask for a refund. We will gladly work with people who work with us directly vs going above us and Paypal.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Add this text in your paypal account(In Dispute message notice)

"Please open a ticket instead of dispute and we will refund your full money without asking any question."

• @Corey said: Usually the only people that ask for this are people that caused trouble already anyway.

So you're saying someone such as myself, who used the VPS for a simple development test box, but canceled at the end of the month because I no longer needed it - someone that had "caused trouble" just because I asked for a refund of account credit because of PayPal thinking it's cool to send a payment?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

In the EU, that's a right you have as a costumer IIRC, to be refunded in real money and not "store credit".

Anyway I think it's the ethical thing to do if the costumer it's in good standing.

That said, I claimed about 20 USD from BuyVM in the past and they never refunded me. I suppose that's ok too since I was never forced to pay them that money at the start, but whatever.