Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who to go to during BuyVM's move to Fiberhub LV?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who to go to during BuyVM's move to Fiberhub LV?

mnpeepmnpeep Member
edited December 2012 in Offers

Hello there,

As many may (or may not know), Frantech (BuyVM), is moving to Fiberhub at LV on January 18th. My non-MySQL-node Multicraft panel (which gets about 2 DDoS attacks / week) is located on one of their VPSes. I will need to have another place to store my panel for the 17th to the 19th.

Here are the requirements:

• 512MB of RAM
  • ~2GB of HDD space
  • CentOS (5 or 6 is fine)
  • DDoS Protection (This is a MUST, I do not want the move to be an opportunity for network attacks)

Location: Preferably in CoreSite in SJ (Where my equipment is located, as well as BuyVMs). It must be within 500 miles of CoreSite @ SJ (LA, LV, etc.).

Duration: 17th to 19th January 2013.

Price: $5 MAX (I'm only using it for 3 days)

Any offers?

Comments

• Are they leaving CC? Or simply expanding?

• @Taz said: Are they leaving CC? Or simply expanding?

They are moving. @Francisco doesn't like EGI. I guess they will have some more racks available though :)

• I heard that they are oversold. I personally don't want to go to AlienVPS.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited December 2012

@Taz Here's the part of the e-mail about Vegas:

Vegas or Bust
    This has already been announced, but for everyone that might not have heard yet we are leaving our current west-coast provider (EGI at Coresite in San Jose) due to what we feel to be unprofessional and unethical treatment (as well as unresolved technical issues, such as the constant networking problems in our San Jose deployment). On January 18th, Francisco and Aldryic will be in San Jose to take inventory and prepare to load our hardware up on a secured box truck to move to our new datacentre (Fiberhub, in Las Vegas). We are expecting an estimate of 15-20 hours of downtime for this move as we'll be contending with factors such as loading the gear, traffic from San Jose to Vegas, as well as properly re-racking at the new DC. Maximum downtime will be announced as 24 hours, but we expect to accomplish this move in 15 or less.

For those of you that rely on us for a west-coast connection: don't worry! Although Vegas isn't actually on the coast, you may actually see improved latency at this new datacenter; or at worst, only a ~10ms increase. You can use the following (from an official Fiberhub WHT sales post) to test against:

Test IP - 199.47.208.100
    Download File - 100MB (http://www.fiberhub.com/100megtest.bin)
    As we own our IP space, there will be no need for any IP renumbering for any client not on a 209.164 IP (there are only six clients on this range, and we will make arrangements with you well before the move). We will also setup a new temporary social media outlet (either Twitter, Tumblr, or G+) and make frequent small status updates as things progress during the move for those of you interested in keeping up.

I personally love this part:

Although Vegas isn't actually on the coast, you may actually see improved latency at this new datacenter; or at worst, only a ~10ms increase.

I currently get about 3ms ping to my servers. I wonder if @Francisco's servers are on the 14th floor as well?

• @mnpeep said: I personally don't want to go to AlienVPS.

The DDoS protected market isn't very large..

I think CVPS have said they can do DDoS protection, too -- see if they can do it in LA?

The DDoS-protected market is not very large.. you could try @RaidLogic too? They've got "Cisco Guard" in LA.

• @ihatetonyy said: The DDoS-protected market is not very large.. you could try @RaidLogic too? They've got "Cisco Guard" in LA.

I'll check them out

@ihatetonyy said: I think CVPS have said they can do DDoS protection, too -- see if they can do it in LA?

Oversold. This one is obvious.

• @mnpeep said: Oversold. This one is obvious.

My 2GB in LA runs quite well. I can't speak to any of the other locations.

• Bursrnet offers basic ddos protection afaik.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited December 2012

@Taz said: Bursrnet offers basic ddos protection afaik.

Looks do-able.

Current price to beat: $5.95 for 1 month (I will accept offers that have a 3 day "service period")

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited December 2012

I wouldn't touch alienvps with a 10 mile pole. You are kind of SOL since I don't know of any other ddos protected vps providers in California.

@Taz said: Bursrnet offers basic ddos protection afaik.

Shudder burst.net has horrid ddos protection. Its not much of any.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Burst has already stated that their DDOS filtering is there to protect other users, not to tank multi gbit floods.

We're driving on the evening of the 19th and we'll be back online within 12 hours we figure.

The whole drive is at night.

Filtering will actually improve due to the fact FH peers in LAX, same as awknet. Should shave about 7ms off it.

I think it's about 10ms from LAS <> SJ as well.

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Filtering will actually improve due to the fact FH peers in LAX, same as awknet. Should shave about 7ms off it.

Ahh you guys aren't going to go with blacklotus as they are already in fiberhub?

@Taz said: Are they leaving CC? Or simply expanding?

Nope, EGI. I love their support workers, they're really hard working and do an amazing job. Their sales team is usually good but annoyed me the last 2 times i put in quotes. Their network is a mess and we keep getting forced routes pushing us for things like:

US->EGI->HE->NLAYER->CLOUDFLARE

Even though EGI tells us we have 'BGP nlayer routes'

EGI is likely annoyed we're leaving since we're making it known but they have already sold our racks to someone else :P

We have no plans to leave CC at this time. While i've had some angry moments with them due to the delays their platform does for nullroute announcements, I've since then replaced the router in NY which gives us tons of wiggle room and addresses it.

Their support is solid, the panel has good features and Jon's an agressive sales rep (likely where Chris learned to sharpen his claws/teeth). There has already been a few months where I don't even talk to them because I just don't have any work needing done. The network works, simple as that.

Francisco

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited December 2012

@Francisco

Who do you suggest as a DDoS protected host other than yourself?

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited December 2012

@mnpeep I wish you the best of luck in this. As you know multicraft is a bitch and it isn't going to be easy changing masters twice.

• @Francisco - Just curious. Why not just get space from CoreSite directly and pull in nLayer/HE etc. in 55 -- you could even hire EGI for remote hands if you like that part of their operation.

That would let you get a low cost Any2 port which awknet peers on as well. I suppose with the xcon costs for redundancy it could be slightly more expensive, but not by much and you'd certainly have a ton of flexibility.

• @Spencer said: @mnpeep I wish you the best of luck in this. Multicraft is a bitch and it isn't going to be easy changing masters twice.

It isn't a master.

My set up is like this:

Multicraft MySQL Node => Communicates directly to nodes in the same rack
    Multicraft MySQL Node has apache running on separate IP, no one knows the IP except my staff. It is used if we're hit by a flood that @Francisco can't stop. Hasn't happened yet. :)
    Multicraft MySQL Node => Communicates to BuyVM VPS running apache (Multicraft panel only).

This way, my MySQL info is located in one centralized location. It is also located outside my /24, so it is almost impossible to find. Finally, I can install a Multicraft panel only on a VPS running apache without having to do anything with my MySQL node. I also don't have to worry too much about DDoS attacks in my rack, since MySQL takes QoS #1.

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited December 2012

@unused said: @Francisco - Just curious. Why not just get space from CoreSite directly and pull in nLayer/HE etc. in 55 -- you could even hire EGI for remote hands if you like that part of their operation.

That would let you get a low cost Any2 port which awknet peers on as well. I suppose with the xcon costs for redundancy it could be slightly more expensive, but not by much and you'd certainly have a ton of flexibility.

I would guess because EGI doesn't have many free racks. A lot of their customers (including me, goes for their 40Amp option) The rack one row down from me is empty, but there are no power cables, which is quite interesting.

@mnpeep said: @Francisco

Who do you suggest as a DDoS protected host other than yourself?

Coresite doesn't sell to you unless you're buying a ton of racks with a decent ramp up.

There is no one I can recommend for filtering since I don't know how their setups are alas =\

If you like I could set you up a reverse proxy right off the awknet box? NGINX and just reverse you if you'd feel safe with that. Unless the contents of the VPS are also with us?

We're aiming to shave as much time as possible off where we can.

Francisco

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited December 2012

@mnpeep, ahh nice setup. Then that won't be an issue at all. I know fiberhub has ddos protection so maybe they could hook you up but idk.

Edit: Maybe you could look at amazon EC2. I know they can eat DDoS attacks. And it would be affordable since you don't need it long.

• @Francisco - not sure who you're talking to there, but you can get individual cabinets and without a ramp. In fact, there are plenty empty down on 3 I'm sure they wouldn't mind moving.

They do like 2-3 year contracts with 3% bumps on the real estate, but that's expected. Sounds like your game plan is all set, but I'd be happy to get you in touch if not.

At least the elevators should be done by the time you move, though you'll likely have to go through the 2nd floor to get to the garage.

@unused said: @Francisco - not sure who you're talking to there, but you can get individual cabinets and without a ramp. In fact, there are plenty empty down on 3 I'm sure they wouldn't mind moving.

They do like 2-3 year contracts with 3% bumps on the real estate, but that's expected. Sounds like your game plan is all set, but I'd be happy to get you in touch if not.

When we talked to them they didn't have anything decent. Besides, HE wanted some silly price for transit. It's possible I just got a bad batch of sales reps but I was annoyed.

We've been in talks with Rob for over a month now just working out different details of it. Today he got paid setup fee's + first month so things are on a roll.

Francisco

• mnpeepmnpeep Member
    edited December 2012

@unused said: In fact, there are plenty empty down on 3 I'm sure they wouldn't mind moving.

The IRS's servers are located there. >:)

@Francisco said: If you like I could set you up a reverse proxy right off the awknet box? NGINX and just reverse you if you'd feel safe with that. Unless the contents of the VPS are also with us?

That would be great if possible. The contents can be replicated easily.

@unused said: At least the elevators should be done by the time you move, though you'll likely have to go through the 2nd floor to get to the garage.

The elevators are already finished. I was there last Sunday installing an SSD server. However, they are doing renovations on the lobby level next to the elevators. I am not sure how @Francisco will be able to get around that. Maybe though the parking garage?

• @mnpeep

The IRS's servers are located there. >:)

No they aren't. I have cabinets on three and other floors.

The elevators are already finished.

One side is finished, the other isn't. It's a huge PITA with 3 elevators during the day. After hours should be fine.

You now have to go to the parking garage via the 2nd floor, the 1st has street access only.

• @unused said: No they aren't. I have cabinets on three and other floors.

I know there is a suite right next to the break room that has "Internal Revenue Service" written on it.

@unused said: One side is finished, the other isn't. It's a huge PITA with 3 elevators during the day. After hours should be fine.

I used the middle elevator on the other side when I was leaving on Sunday. Worked like a charm. The left elevator on the other side is actually just a shaft used to push cables through, which I found to be interesting.

• @mnpeep said: I know there is a suite right next to the break room that has "Internal Revenue Service" written on it.

If so that has nothing to do with the MMR on the east side of the floor.

@mnpeep said: I used the middle elevator on the other side when I was leaving on Sunday. Worked like a charm.

Must be WIP. When I left yesterday, only 3 elevators were operational.

In either case, I suspect they'll be finished for Franciscos move, but from what I hear the 1st floor renovations will take 6-8 months (really?? i mean cmon!) so it's via 2 to the garage.

• So how far away is the new location from the old location? I'm too lazy to ask google maps and my USA geography sux :)

• About 350 mi directly, 550 mi if you drive.

• A long drive then... at least by our standards, for USA maybe it is nothing.