Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Totally transparent hosts? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Totally transparent hosts?

2»

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2015

vRozenSch00n said: There won't be, as long as everybody knows well their own capacity and understand their role in a company.

Of course there will be, that is the very nature of most working environments. The exception (very rare) where the playing field is very level.

The ideal world of disclosure on salaries/bonuses would be something like;

Same Starting salary for all on a particular grade
    Same increases based on x
    Same bonus bases on x
    Exactly the same opportunities to earn for all

Great if you can easily tell that whilst you are at the same grade as me I have been in the company 5 years more and that is why I earn x more than you all is fine. That's not how it works in reality though.

Staff always have their own view on their ability in comparison to another, they will often feel aggrieved at someone else earning more because their perception of themselves is being a high performer and other person not being in the same "zone".

My teams' annual bonuses range from £0 - £xx,xxx based on a wide range of factors but all assessed in the same way. If it was published all hell would break loose due to the very fact that under performing individuals most often feel that is not the case and the high performers in their view are the opposite.

It would be very difficult, certainly in my environment, in fact no, impossible to be that transparent.

Thanked by 1adultbear5
  • Lee said: It would be very difficult, certainly in my environment, in fact no, impossible to be that transparent.

Heh heh heh, that's the real world. You grabbed my bait eh? :P

• LeeLee Veteran

vRozenSch00n said: You grabbed my bait eh? :P

I felt I had to :)

• Lee said: I felt I had to :)

Back to topic, I think transparency in hosting is what made me fell in love with ramhost.us.

Well, it might not be 100% transparent, but when I get to know people like @jar & @ryanarp and chat about how their principle in running a business, their passion in doing what they do best, then I believe that it is possible to run a profitable transparent hosting business.

Thanked by 2jar ryanarp
  • @joepie91 said:
    Does that cause any issues over there, or is it all smooth sailing?

Smooth sailing. And less politics.

• @mpkossen said:
    I work at a company that is extremely transparent. Our salaries, expense claims, bonuses, development plans: they are all public and physically on a wall at the office. I really think it's awesome.

A few google searches led me to a nice picture in an white-orange shirt at an AGILE AGILE AGILE AGILE!!!!!!1! company. A lot of indian dudes as well. I thought you were studying still?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2015

@mpkossen said:
    Smooth sailing. And less politics.

I would guess there would be less secret resentment fueled by whispers and rumors, at the very least. Any place where people gather together for long hours on a regular basis is bound to attract drama.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Lee said: It would be very difficult, certainly in my environment, in fact no, impossible to be that transparent.

At the company I work for this has been done by the start; same with Buffer IIRC. It is very hard to do in an environment where such a system is not yet in place (believe me, I've tried).

We have salaries based on set KPIs or age, with bonuses based on either individual or team performance (all based on set formulas, etc.) so everybody knows why someone gets X amount of money.

@Raymii said:
    A few google searches led me to a nice picture in an white-orange shirt at an AGILE AGILE AGILE AGILE!!!!!!1! company. A lot of indian dudes as well. I thought you were studying still?

Yep. We have over 150 people in India (who frequently come to NL) and some of them even work here at our customers.

I've graduated in 2011 (I think?) and after having worked 6 years (from 2009) at a local web development agency I made the switch to where I work now earlier this year. So, no more studying for me :-)

@Jar said:
    I would guess there would be less secret resentment fueled whispers and rumors, at the very least. Any place where people gather together for long hours on a regular basis is bound to attract drama.

Oh, you have no idea: there's less than I could have even imagined. The mess companies create when giving people salary X based on the views and feelings of managers without any kind of coherence between them...

Imagine teachers grading tests based on their views and feelings.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2015

I don't have any issues with any of that, the public view side is not quite as simple to implement, I use xen though so your not going to find out much of any importance that you could not work out for yourself.

I did have it on LES for a long time but Zabbix failed me.

The question is why do you care, if it works it works, if you want dedicated performance on your shared resource environment you are doing it wrong to begin with :)

• AnthonySmith said: if it works it works

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I have used your service before and all your boxes I got are awesome :)

• cassacassa Member
    edited October 2015

We do,

Intel Xeon E3-1230
    32GB memory
    2x 480GB Intel SSDs
    1Gbit uplink

We host around 10 vpses on these nodes and max out the memory to 26GB so there is room for upgrades.
    Status including load: http://status.hexodo.net/

• LeeLee Veteran

AnthonySmith said: The question is why do you care, if it works it works, if you want dedicated performance on your shared resource environment you are doing it wrong to begin with :)

Agree mostly however for many, myself included I don't want to have to raise performance tickets because you have overloaded servers too much and/or don't care because I should not have expectations based on what I paid.

Now that said I pick carefully. In say the last 3-4 years of using LE* type services I have only ever had issues at 3 providers out more than 20. But I knew what I was getting into with those, i.e. CVPS.

Overselling is not a bad thing in the right hands, we know this. Bottom line is that if you research in the first place without being influenced mainly by price then the providers infrastructure and they way they operate it should not be a concern.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • Nobody mentioned this thread, but I think it's relevant here.

lowendtalk.com/discussion/53652/how-to-know-how-much-neighbours-you-ve-got-in-your-openvz-vps/p1

This was a good discussion...

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2015

FredQc said: but I think it's relevant here.

Not really. This thread is about provider transparency, the thread you are linking to is about the opposite.

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

NodeQuery does the same job, Afaik, it doesn't have a Public Page Display system. Only the Admin can see the details.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@cassa said:
    We do,

> Intel Xeon E3-1230
    > 32GB memory
    > 2x 480GB Intel SSDs
    > 1Gbit uplink
    > 

We host around 10 vpses on these nodes and max out the memory to 26GB so there is room for upgrades.
    Status including load: http://status.hexodo.net/

What price are you paying for that node, with IPs?

• @Radi said:
    What price are you paying for that node, with IPs?

It's owned hardware :)

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@virmach for nix stats I don't think you need an invite anymore... You can pm @vfuse and he can get you set up!

Thanked by 1vfuse
  • vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

@agoldenberg said:
    @virmach for nix stats I don't think you need an invite anymore... You can pm vfuse and he can get you set up!

You do still need an invite code. You can sign up with invite code LET. Currently redoing the dashboard (responsive), almost at a 1000 beta testers :)

• quadhostquadhost Member
    edited October 2015

@raindog308 said:
    Are there any hosts that:

• tell you exactly what the hardware specs of a node are

If asked in tickets yes; we run a few varying configurations and generally don't publish it on our front site apart from generalisations.

• tell you how many VPSes are on the node and their specs ("21 VPSes and they are on the following plans...")

No but it seems nobody has asked us yet.

• let you see in real time what the load average, memory utilization, etc. is

Yes on our status page; it averages a couple of visits a month.

If not, would customers (i.e., all of you LETizens who buy VPSes) find this interesting?

Curious to know this as well.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

quadhost said: Yes on our status page; it averages a couple of visits a month.

Yep, gotta set that campaign in the URL!

Thanked by 1drazilox