Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feedback & Suggestions - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Feedback & Suggestions

Comments

• I already feared a bugged feature instead! ;-)

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • With a single switch of a button lowendtalk could enable HTTP2 in the CloudFlare control panel.

This would speed up pages with a lot of images and graphics.

I think this is very important because the tons of gifs @Mun throws at us every day.

• GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited February 2016

[GOOD] I'd like to see the "jnguyen" banned because that was cool!

[GOOD] "Ban jnguyen because this community doesn't need him.

[GOOD] "That recent change you made is not having the best effect, I think."

[GOOD] "User jnguyed should be banned, why don't you keep it that way."

Here are some examples:

[GOOD] "I'd like to see the "minion" plugin return because that was cool!"

[BAD] "Ban Provider X because I think they're shit!"

[GOOD] "That recent change you made is not having the best effect, I think."

[BAD] "User X is a wanker, why don't you make fun of him in your next tutorial."

Well, I think you get the point :-)

No, I don't.

We're looking forward to hearing from you!

Well, we're not looking forward to hear more about this kid. Thanks.

Nothing personal MPK, but this was in the OP.

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited February 2016

First of all, I want to thank the team for donating their time and mental efforts to keeping this community running smooth.

I have a small suggestions for LowEndBox.

Since @jarland took over in writing the posts on LEB I have noticed a pretty big change in content and information about new offers published. Now a days we are seeing a simple “XXXXX sent in an offer, well, here is whats on special today” one liner kinda thing.

I used to love reading a little about the company, their hardware, the little “what makes us special” line and just general info when @mpkossen used to post in the offer.

All the information in theory would be a copy/pasta from the LEB submission template as seen here: https://lowendbox.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/8000013511-offer-submission-template
    so in theory I wouldn’t think it should be too much added efforts to have more content-rich offers on LEB

Example of typical offer see now a days:
    XXXXXXXX from XXXXXXX sent us some KVM and OpenVZ offers. This is their fourth offer on the site, the first was in March of last year. Feel free to share your experiences with them in the comments, I’d love to hear how they’re doing. Let’s see what they gave us here.

Here is an example of the @mpkossen typical offer with a good
    type offers which I loved reading every time: https://lowendbox.com/blog/hostus-7month-2gb-openvz-leb-exclusive-in-hong-kong-and-sydney-and-more/ which has a good 2- 3 paragraphs of information.

tl;dr I would like a little more written on the LEB offers, especially the information of the LEB offer submissions be used in the actual offers published.

EDIT: Fixed some typos

• Quote plug-in is still broken, so since you're on a fixing spree @jarland ;-)

Hint: it's in a regular expression somewhere and it likely has to do with line-endings.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • let us not post area offers solution please?

• @sysadmin Common, do it! Switch the HTTP2-switch on in the CF controlpanel!

• OK. I did it.

• All hail the SysAdmin!

• Suggestion: Create a new category "Newsletters" or "Press releases" where people must post threads like this or this

• gsrdgrdghd said: Suggestion: Create a new category "Newsletters" or "Press releases" where people must post threads like this or this

Better yet, make a rule against providers posting their own newsletters or press releases. If a third party doesn't believe it's interesting enough to share with the community, it shouldn't be shared with the community.

Thanked by 2mpkossen badpatrick
  • @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Suggestion: Create a new category "Newsletters" or "Press releases" where people must post threads like this or this

I think a generic "Provider announcements" would fit best. Everything the providers want to post regarding their company (except offers) should be posted there.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Traffic said: I think a generic "Provider announcements" would fit best. Everything the providers want to post regarding their company (except offers) should be posted there.

Yeah, I don't think we want this place to turn into WHT with the parade of "press releases".

In fairness @gsrdgrdghd that PR was posted in the providers section.

I think we'll watch to see if this becomes a problem.

• Place a link to the support ticket system where one can easily find it, e.g. here:

Thanked by 2simonindia Mark_R
  • @tr1cky said:
    Place a link to the support ticket system where one can easily find it, e.g. here:

Sounds reasonable enough.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • Should be done.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Ishaq said:
    Should be done.

its there, maybe highlight it too? some people appear to have difficulties reading things.

• Mark_R said: its there, maybe highlight it too? some people appear to have difficulties reading things.

There.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Bold and an arrow :o

I bet some people still miss it.

Thanked by 2jar Mark_R
  • jbiloh said: I bet some people still miss it.

You just read my mind.

• Could we have it blinking? Just to be on the safe side... ;)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Ishaq said:
    You just read my mind.

marquee.

Thanked by 1MrObvious
  • Why not change Thanks button to 'Upvote'? I believe most of us hit thanks as upvote!

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited March 2016

Ban ALL AFF links!

Most other IT related forums already banned them as there are way too much people just spamming them without contributing anything useful at all.

• @sayem314 said:
    Why not change Thanks button to 'Upvote'? I believe most of us hit thanks as upvote!

Reddit 2.0? but yes, I agree with this but won't press that button... until it's changed to "Upvote" :p

@Frecyboy said:
    Ban ALL AFF links!

Specifically, ban @Traffic, we can't have that flooding LET!!!

Frecyboy said: Ban ALL AFF links!

I don't have a problem with them in sigs. In posts, maybe - it can become a game of "who answers the thread first".

I usually remove aff links in posts if they're not labeled as aff links.

If someone had an aff link in their sig, and was posting a lot of nonsense "thanks" "good idea" "like it" etc. posts just to spam their sig, we'd notice and correct...I think @jarland's philosophy is to keep the rules as light as possible rather than try to write a rule for everything. We don't want people becoming forum rules lawyers.

Thanked by 1Frecyboy
  • WolfWolf Member

Banning aff-links sounds great. Second this...

It would be nice if there was a way to link to a specific comment.

It would be nice if the suggestions thread was easier to find.

• IshaqIshaq Member

raindog308 said: It would be nice if there was a way to link to a specific comment.

There is. Copy the timestamp link, it directs the visitor to the comment.

raindog308 said: It would be nice if the suggestions thread was easier to find.

Bookmark/star it.

Ishaq said: There is. Copy the timestamp link, it directs the visitor to the comment.

Ah....thanks.