Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why LeaseWeb required an initial deposit of $1250 to process your order. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why LeaseWeb required an initial deposit of $1250 to process your order.

Comments

• Just because a few bad apples doesn't mean all apples are bad. @qibinghua sometimes life is not fair at all, we just have to survive.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • fkjfkj Member

What I found very interesting is that Leaseweb is asking clients who order a $3.5/m service to deposit $1250, which, cannot spend out in almost 30 years. Considering the chance of the depreciation of SGD, the outbreak of regional war, the bankrupt of Leaseweb and the new cloud hosting technology that could greatly lower the cost of hosting, etc., anyone who passed their primary school's math test would not agree to deposit this money, which, for me, is not an action to secure their network, but a simple action to reject any Chinese consumer.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@fkj said:
    I got nearly half a million SPAM comments writen in Japanese every week, should I consider those Japanese people who are trying to post regular comments as spammer? Should I move their comments to trash simply because of those SPAM-written-in-Japanese?

Unfortunately if it were me, the answer would be yes. Bandwidth is expensive and if I have 500K comments coming into my systems from each site I host from one source, I would rather block the whole source than chase each and every IP.. Sorry easier to use a shotgun in this case.

Thanked by 1impossiblystupid
  • fkjfkj Member

@agoldenberg said:

I was just trying to make a metaphor here. So lets try another one. Terrorists is hiding in the lines of refugees coming to Europe, should EU contries refuse to accept all the refugees simply because some of them are terrorists?

• fkj said: What I found very interesting is that Leaseweb is asking clients who order a $3.5/m service to deposit $1250

3.5$ clients are obviously not LWs primary (or even secondary) target market - A Chinese customer that wants like 3 servers at 150$ each will probably care less about the prepayment and timeframe it is used in. They just apply the same rules to everyone regardless of order amount, which is only fair in the end (and probably also good to avoid conflicts with EU anti discrimination laws which can be quite funny at times).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

fkj said: I got nearly half a million SPAM comments writen in Japanese every week, should I consider those Japanese people who are trying to post regular comments as spammer? Should I move their comments to trash simply because of those SPAM-written-in-Japanese?

There's a difference between what language something is written in and where it comes from.

It never occurred to me, but since I don't read Japanese, yes, I could easily write a rule to move all emails written in Japanese to spam. What's the problem?

If I got 500,000 spams from Japan every week, I would certainly tune my antispam filters to take that into account.

Since I get tons of ssh brutes, etc. from Chinese IPs, I tune my defenses to take that into account.

If I was running a business and 99% of my Chinese signups were fraud, I'd put measures in place to protect myself.

What is your problem with any of this?

• @William said:

You should know, the spam and DDOS machine almost hacked. the hacked may be not Chinese.

In the internet, one man can do a damage. and almost stress site(DDOS boots) not in China. The China Gov is very strict control internet. so, that is why many people use proxy service such as Shadowshocks.

• fkjfkj Member

@William said:
    They just apply the same rules to everyone regardless of order amount, which is only fair in the end.

If so, why don't we simply count an amount of tax everyone should pay, and have the rich and the poor to pay the same amount of tax. You don't even need to calculate how much you should pay -- what a utopia society!

• fkj said: If so, why don't we simply count an amount of tax everyone should pay, and have the rich and the poor to pay the same amount of tax.

eh.... sure. If you want to see it like that the income tax ceiling in some countries is exactly that as it limits the maximum you pay into the gov. Seems to work well for them.

• fkjfkj Member

@raindog308 said:

As I said above, this was just a metaphor. Well other metaphors, like those terrorists inside refugees should be better in this case.

• What kind of service were you trying to purchase from them?

• @ChrisMiller said:
    What kind of service were you trying to purchase from them?

This is LET. Probably the cheapest VPS they have, with a coupon while you're at it.

Thanked by 2shovenose gsrdgrdghd
  • fkjfkj Member

@William said:
    eh.... sure. If you want to see it like that the income tax ceiling in some countries is exactly that as it limits the maximum you pay into the gov. Seems to work well for them.

There might be some countries but are any of them in the TOP10 economies, any of them enjoy a continuous 5%+ GDP growth, and most importantly, will any of their government ask those poor people who only earn $3.5 a month to pay $100 of taxes?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2015

fkj said: will any of their government ask those poor people who only earn $3.5 a month to pay $100 of taxes?

If i earn less than 500EUR i don't pay any tax at all... would not make sense otherwise.

• fkjfkj Member

@ChrisMiller said:
    What kind of service were you trying to purchase from them?

I'm pretty sure it's the SGD$3.5/m plan with 1GB RAM running on VMware.

• fkjfkj Member

@William said:

Then, in this case, why this $3.5/m service should pay that huge amount of "tax"?

• What were you trying to order?

• A bit like the insurance industry isn't it. Your house or car insurance can be based on your postal/zip code and the perceived risk in that area. China is perceived as high risk. All makes sense.

• @fkj said:
    Then, in this case, why this $3.5/m service should pay that huge amount of "tax"?

Because you're not actually having the money taken from you? You still get to spend it. If you have a problem with that, choose a different provider. It's a free market.

• The trouble is that firms don't have the money to spend checking each customer individually so they have to make rules to deal with problem customers. Sadly, one of those rules is often don't allow customers from certain regions. It is discrimination but it's an economic discrimination rather than being one of race or similar.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@fkj said:
    I was just trying to make a metaphor here. So lets try another one. Terrorists is hiding in the lines of refugees coming to Europe, should EU contries refuse to accept all the refugees simply because some of them are terrorists?

Again if it was up to me, I would refuse refugees from war torn countries until such a time as each one of their criminal history and background can be verified.

• Did leaseweb got screwed hard by china why only target china for the security deposit?

• @fkj said:
    Terrorists is hiding in the lines of refugees coming to Europe, should EU contries refuse to accept all the refugees simply because some of them are terrorists?

The answer is still yes. Regardless of what metaphor you use, there will likely always be a component of "you are known by the company you keep". If you're being kept out of a country because your group harbors terrorists, consider that maybe, just maybe, you should give up the terrorists. If you're getting banned online because your neighbors are spammers, your first course of action should be to get them off your network.

I certainly know that LeaseWeb IPs are ranges I block on sight due to the abuse that comes from them. Same goes for many countries that have already been mentioned, often up to the /8 they're allocated from because I can't be bothered to sort out who is who.

The fact is I'm going to freely block any network that is a source of more abuse than it is income. My network, my rules. If they don't like it, they should think about cleaning up their network before expecting me to leave mine wide open.

• @qibinghua said:
    Chinese has changed. it is not like a few years ago.

Uh, yeah, sure . . . wink, wink.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

agoldenberg said: I would refuse refugees from war torn countries until such a time as each one of their criminal history and background can be verified.

No war in Pakistan or other neighbours countries but for some reason the people from other countries do join with refugees and act as refugees. By stepping to EU and destroying their passports/documents will be impossible to migrate them back!!! This I call ethnic abuse and attack to EU countries

• I'd really like to see if LW returns this so called "deposit" once the client has finished with their services.. Assuming client has done nothing wrong.

I could see this going very bad for the client to be honest, something along these lines.

Client : I'd like to cancel my VPS and have my deposit returned, thank you

LW : your service was detected in illegal activites, DDoS blah blah, account suspended. Goodbye.

• sinsin Member

fkj said: What I found very interesting is that Leaseweb is asking clients who order a $3.5/m service to deposit $1250, which, cannot spend out in almost 30 years.

It's a security deposit, not a payment that you'll never get back.

• @sin said:
    It's a security deposit, not a payment that you'll never get back.

You do know that security deposits are (partially or fully) kept in case of breaking the terms of whatever the agreement was, right? And who decides in that case if the terms were broken?

• sinsin Member
    edited October 2015

deadbeef said: You do know that security deposits are (partially or fully) kept in case of breaking the terms of whatever the agreement was, right? And who decides in that case if the terms were broken?

Yes I know (like anyone who rents any kind of apartment, housing, etc usually pays security deposits). It's up to the customer if they want to take that risk with Leaseweb (who isn't a summer host of course). I doubt anyone would do it over a $3.00 service but it's Leaseweb's terms.

• @masterqqq said:
    Did leaseweb got screwed hard by china why only target china for the security deposit?

Yes, some dogs from my country used to rent servers from them for outbound DDoS purpose.

Also for hosting sites selling fake items, trashy scammers.