Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hackintosh vs mac (OSX) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

hackintosh vs mac (OSX)

Comments

• LeeLee Veteran

I would never buy from GVH but some in this thread did, does that make me a bad person?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Jar said:
    See that is rationalization. It doesn't matter because you don't like it.

I really don't understand what you mean. What part of that sentence has ANY personal value judgment from me? On the contrary, I said that REGARDLESS of the reasons (i.e. regardless of MY argument being right or wrong), resell value is high because there is a high demand for those puppies.

Rationalization means: "I make a personal value judgment that guides my choice but I present other reasons for it instead, because whatever".

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2015

deadbeef said: I really don't understand what you mean

You rationalized it and claimed it not relevant because the only reason it's true is because demand is high. Well no shit, but it's still true. Extracting the reason doesn't make it irrelevant.

deadbeef said: Rationalization means: "I make a personal value judgment that guides my choice but I present other reasons for it instead, because whatever".

Not quite. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rationalize

• @Jar said:
    I didn't say anything about the length of it, but because of the exceptional local support and the way they honor their warranties, you never feel like they're trying to save money when you ask them to honor it, and that's a big deal, and that's a great warranty.

Oh, so the exceptional part is honoring the guarantee. So, is it that in comparison to everyone else because they don't honor their guarantees? When was the last time some gov agency went after a known manufacturer for failing to honor their guarantee?

No it's still true. There is so much more than just CPU to the equation. If you don't have every single chipset down to match one that is installed in a factory Apple computer, and I mean every little thing, there is no guarantee that you will not have to alter the kernel or install additional unsupported kernel modules to work with your hardware next year.

Well, considering my early 2009 mac mini just got the latest OSX version, that backwards breaking compatibility fear isn't exactly justified now, is it? :) If my hackintosh runs today, it will run fine for many years to come - hey Apple has a great policy on that!

Again, exceptions. They exist for everyone in every location. Finding an exception does not nullify every other experience.

Oh, a full line of hardware deficient by design that affected a ton of people and resulted in class lawsuit is an exception! What exactly does qualify as "not an exception" to a fan? :)

• LeeLee Veteran

I love my MacBook Air, cost me £1k but meh!

• @Jar said:
    You rationalized it and claimed it not relevant because the only reason it's true is because demand is high. Well no shit, but it's still true. Extracting the reason doesn't make it irrelevant.

I don't understand your point. The reason you mentioned it was as an argument to support your claim that "people buy Macs because they're better quality etc". I countered that while it is true that the resell value is high, that's regardless of the reason. Now, you counter back that "yes, the reason doesn't matter". So, what exactly is it you disagree with me on it then? :D

Quite, actually: to substitute a natural for a supernatural explanation of <rationalize a myth> (from that link). It's a very well known basic thing in sales. You sell benefits while you present features. People go back to their pals and rationalize their choice via features while they got sold on the benefits (i.e. penis enlargement).

edited October 2015

deadbeef said: Oh, so the exceptional part is honoring the guarantee. So, is it that in comparison to everyone else because they don't honor their guarantees?

Uhhh yeah, check consumer reports on several low priced laptop manufacturers. Toshiba comes to mind.

Why are you even being so argumentative? Don't you know we're friends and I love you?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • LeeLee Veteran

Jar said: Don't you know we're friends and I love you?

Friends stop when the dictionary links come out.

Thanked by 3jar netomx raindog308
  • @Jar said:
    Uhhh yeah, check consumer reports on several low priced laptop manufacturers. Toshiba comes to mind.

So nothing but "exceptions" eh? ;)

Why are you even being so argumentative? Don't you know we're friends and I love you?

Well, you know I've always been a vocal fan here of you and MXRoute, so I don't see why insinuate there is some hidden issue.

Why do you have to win some imaginary internet fight? I don't really give a shit what you buy, my reasons are valid and I stand by them. I don't need your approval.

I don't need to win some fight. I just support my statements. When I was a young kid, I was taught in school that "discussion is the exchange of arguments in order to discover the truth". So why wouldn't I keep responding? Why should my view of the issue just shut up because it's not in accordance with (in this case) yous?

Also, there is no statement in my posts that you need mine or anyone's approval to do whatever you want with your money.

edited October 2015

I love you @deadbeef, and my reasons were valid based on personal first hand experience :)

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited October 2015

@Jar said:
    I love you deadbeef, and my reasons were valid :)

Feelings are mutual @Jar, and I bought my Macs for showing off :)

Thanked by 1jar
  • Excellent case study of stirring up emotions between different pc users. Thanks for the example.

Thanked by 1jar

@GM2015 said:
    Excellent case study of stirring up emotions between different pc users. Thanks for the example.

Mac vs PC argument theater brought to you by Jar and a dead cow :)

Thanked by 2deadbeef netomx
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2015

emre said: hey @William, can you please share an image which I can DD?

10.11 (El Capitan), 10.10 (Yosemite) or 10.9 (Mavericks)?

You will need an 8GB+ USB stick.

EDIT: Actually nvm that, i just create all 3 and put some additional tools on it (Multibeast and some drivers)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • emreemre Member, LIR

@wiliam thank you very much, waiting for the links.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • If you can stir up people on reddit like in this thread, you can get a couple of thousands of visitors. How targeted they are will depend on your subreddit search and luck.

Lots of redditors are broke time-wasters, but some of them can spend money.

Jar said: Mac vs PC argument theater brought to you by Jar and a dead cow :)

Thanked by 1jar

GM2015 said: If you can stir up people on reddit like in this thread, you can get a couple of thousands of visitors. How targeted they are will depend on your subreddit search and luck.

I once made a thread on 4chan begging people to find me a Mac virus. Since you know Windows viruses are so easy to fall into in the wild, and a few years ago the idea of falling into a Mac virus in the wild was virtually nonexistent. People always jumped up with "Well the only reason there are no Mac viruses in the wild is that not enough people use them" and I would counter with "Exactly the reason why the average Mac is safer than the average Windows machine today, with no concern for what might be true next week or next year."

I never got that virus, and man people got really mad.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Jar said:
    I've never bought a Dell laptop and resold it for $500+ three years after purchase, but I did sell a MacBook Pro for $800 once in that same time, three years after purchase. There are things that are different about buying an Apple product, whether or not you like it, and that is one of them.

That's true for most Apple products which have large market like iPhone, iPad, MacBook Air and MacBook Pro. But in most markets I've looked at, resell value for Mac Pro, iMac or Mac Mini is nowhere nearly as high.

The reason is mostly demand: not many people want a desktop Mac second-hand. The people who do are usually devs who can't get a hackintosh going but need something to write iPhone/iPad apps on. This kind of ppl are so cheap, they are too cheap to buy Apple Refurb Mac Mini, imagine how much they'll pay for your second hand one. And that's exclusively for Mac Minis. For iMac/Mac Pro I haven't really seen any second hand market. I am sure you can resell them on eBay/Amazon, but imagine the shipping costs for something this heavy.

The resell value is a good argument for buying Apple products but it doesn't hold for desktop.

Another argument is warranty. Also an excellent argument for iPhone (I've had them replace my charger, and even the whole iPhone on the spot, no questions asked). It may also hold true for Macbooks (they are hard to repair in many cases, as well). But if you are talking about a desktop, would you rather seriously carry it to an Apple store, wait however long for them to investigate the problem, then however long for them to ship and replace components, and eventually go back to pick it up from the Apple store, instead of just ordering whatever component has died on-line and swapping it yourself right away? It can't be that expensive a year after you bought it really.

Thanked by 1jar
  • Yeah, whenever we went to the country side, we always had some axes, bows and rifles with us to shoot Windows viruses.

We even held a hunting fest one weekend and I won by shooting down 5TB of windows viruses in the forests.

Jar said: Windows viruses are so easy to fall into in the wild

Thanked by 1jar
  • elwebmaster said: For iMac/Mac Pro I haven't really seen any second hand market.

There is; i bought a 1,1 (2x Dual core, 8GB FBDIMM, no HDDs, basically stock config of first Mac Pro) at 100EUR some years ago - served me very well for a long time (CPU bench ~4000, half of a modern i7 at 3-4x power usage) but it did get costly to run here (aforementioned power usage, 400W+). 2,1 seem to still sell at 500$+ (due to DDR3 and the more modest power usage of the E5XXX/L5XXX/\X5XX CPUs), 3,1 at 650$+

emre said: @wiliam thank you very much, waiting for the links.

Will take some time - First i have to DD from USB to file (i have sticks for Yosemite and El Capitan already, but need to create one for Mavericks which takes around 45min), gzip it (as the image has exactly the USB stick size, thus 8GB with 3-4GB unused space) and upload it (i have 30Mbit upload so that should not take forever). Should be all available in 4-5hours.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • DanDan Member
    edited October 2015

@deadbeef said:
    That's pure bullshit. It used to be true before Apple switched to Intel, when they really did try hard to squeeze the performance out of that platform.

In no way is that BS, Apple is able to squeeze 2 to 3 hours more battery life out of the exact same laptop, when compared to Windows/Linux/*BSD. They do this by heavily optimizing Safari, throwing out the trashy drivers their chip makers give them and writing better replacements in house, etc. When it comes to performance and battery life, they know how to eek the most out of their systems.

That being said, I agree with @GM2015, Debian Jessie is better than OS X or Windows at this point, and if your choosing an OS I'd choose it every day of the week.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Spent hours after hours to try to install Hackintosh on my old Dell E4310, even paid for someone to compile a specific build for me, and when I broke it the third time after applying updates, I gave up and switched to Windows.

I guess it depends on the purpose of your Hackintosh, if you just want to have OSX running on a PC to impress your girlfriend, then pay someone like 10 bucks to build a specific OSX build for you, doesn't worth the time to flirt around with the girl the system.

If you just want to use OSX because it is a "cooler" system, then get a Mac (even the cheapest mac), you won't enjoy the full feature of OSX without getting a Mac. Or try Linux, your Linux knowledge would be a lot more valuable.

If you just have too much time on hands and just want to kill time...well...go find something fun to do :)

• El Capitan (10.11) original Image (Created with Unibeast) with Post install scripts (in /Post-install) (no Multibeast for 10.11 yet but this installs some basic things) - write with DD to a USB stick of 8GB+ size: http://195.154.106.14/elcapitan.img.gz

Thanked by 2netomx cassa
  • spammy said: enjoy the full feature of OSX without getting a Mac

What features does a Mac have that my Hackintosh does not have? I can get everything up to Thunderbolt 2 without any problems.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • emreemre Member, LIR

@william thank you, I downloaded it already. At last I can build my long forgotten hackintosh.

• @William said:
    What features does a Mac have that my Hackintosh does not have? I can get everything up to Thunderbolt 2 without any problems.

I believe the chat and Facetime won't work with the hackintosh? Unless people figure out some ways to cheat Apple server on the UUIDs?

• @William said:

iMessage, Facetime, something related to iCloud.. Maybe

• @spammy said:
    I believe the chat and Facetime won't work with the hackintosh? Unless people figure out some ways to cheat Apple server on the UUIDs?

Works smoothly but may require some reading on how to do it since Apple is trying to keep iMessage spammers away.

• sonic said: iMessage, Facetime, something related to iCloud.. Maybe

Works - Works - Works. All works perfectly fine. The serial number of the hackintosh is generated and works in all Apple services.

Thanked by 1netomx