Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So many terrible VPS hosts, who are the good ones. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So many terrible VPS hosts, who are the good ones.

2»

Comments

• Hmmm, this thread is just nepotism.
    Honnestly there is a lot of good providers and without knowing your budget, future use, location, etc it is impossible to recommend one.

• innyainnya Member
    edited November 2011

If you are not sure, use Burstnet. It might not good in some case. But they are not going anywhere. Also they have multiple us location and a location in uk.

• @miTgiB said: This is probably less true than you imagine, few need much bandwidth, the allocations are generous, on my part at least, so I do not have to account for and collect on overages.

What I was meaning is that with generous allocation if all users use the maximum amount of bandwidth that they can theoretically use, it would (in many cases) be too expensive for the provider to keep going at that price. Not for all providers though.

I do prefer this option (large bandwidth allocation, few need/use that much bandwidth - but if I have a VPS with you i'm not scared 'i might overuse my 50GB bandwidth if I have too many visitors' :)

• @hostingwizard_net said: Hmmm, this thread is just nepotism. Honnestly there is a lot of good providers and without knowing your budget, future use, location, etc it is impossible to recommend one.

Nepotism implies that we are related to the provider. I don't know Fran from Adam. But I understand your meaning. I would hope most of the commenters speak from personal experience not prejudicial preferences. In time newer providers will become known good just like BuyVm, Hostigation, QW, Ram, etc... (or maybe dead pool like the up's and ens' of the world). It's a jungle out there.

• @hostingwizard_net Location, budget, future use are not that important at this point, you could just say I'm after a generic LEB host that has a sustainable business model. I'd rather research a few providers that are "sticking around" and then narrow candidates down.

• @derpy: So if the budget is not the crucial point in your search, what's the definition of a LEB to you then? Since it also cannot be the location and the future use -- which could imply the ressources -- how do you distinct a LEB from a normal VPS? Or are you using the term LEB vice versa for a VPS and you disctinct a LEB/VPS from a dedicated server? I know that LEB.com defines a LEB using a price-range up to $ 7. But since you don't want to take the budget as a distinction it might get quite difficult to sort out the LEB you want.

The only distinction you mention is the business model of the ISP. Well, I would say that's the most vague point possible since it's not open. Hosts might tell you the business model you want to hear. The budget or the features of the VPS are "open" in that sense that you can compare them. But the business model normally is an internal method of raising money via a more or less random method of business activity.

• @kylix Stop splitting hairs, the providers mentioned thus far seem pretty perfect. Everyone else seems to know what I'm after. I'm just in the process of deciding on one. Thanks for the wall of text though. And yes, I wouldn't be posting here if I needed mission critical level hosting. facepalm

• @derpy said: I wouldn't be posting here if I needed mission critical level hosting.

Why not?

A few leb in round robin with a system to remove the down one(s) can be pretty powerful + some leb providers are pretty good / stable...

• Vooservers. Genuinely good at what they do and proactive about maintenance. I really hope they keep it up because they are at the top of my list and continue to exceed expectations.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited November 2011

@derpy said: @kylix Stop splitting hairs, the providers mentioned thus far seem pretty perfect. Everyone else seems to know what I'm after. I'm just in the process of deciding on one. Thanks for the wall of text though. And yes, I wouldn't be posting here if I needed mission critical level hosting. facepalm

You got up on the wrong side today, didn't you?

You will realize that most answers from user are simply name-droppings. And therefore exactly just names on your screen you find on LEB, too. And therefore exactly the part of the search for providers you didn't want before. Whereas the providers answers had at least some content asking which distinction you make in choosing a specific product.

If you come to an open forum and ask for help don't piss people off just because some of them take their free time and try to answer to your question in detail and try to justify their answer with real content. If your attention threshold is simply to low for a detailed answer, just add a ToS to your question that you're basically not interested in substantiational answers.

• @kylix Not sure if trolling or just stupid. To everyone else, thankyou for your suggestions.

• I have quite a few LEB's and so far my 2 favorite providers are BuyVM and SecureDragon. Both provide excellent service and support and have been around a while and I don't think they are going anywhere. I run a Asterisk phone server on my BuyVM VPS and a blog + a photo Gallery on my SecureDragon LEB (96MB of ram)

• skagerrakskagerrak Member
    edited November 2011

@derpy: Counter question: Are you capable of understanding what @kylix is trying to explain to you? It somewhow seems you aren't.

• Various people have hijacked this thread a little. Not to worry, thanks to all those who've left useful replies.

• I guess somebody needs to look up what hijacking means.

• hijacked... I hacked... lol

Sorry, spamming more and more n_n

• laaevlaaev Member
    edited November 2011

Hi everyone,

On the subject of best providers whatever happened to the top 3 providers, I remember the homepage of Lowendbox had 3 snapshots of the top 3 providers in the green box?

Best,

Kevin

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@FTN_Kevin said: Hi everyone,

On the subject of best providers whatever happened to the top 3 providers, I remember the homepage of Lowendbox had 3 snapshots of the top 3 providers in the green box?

Best,

Kevin

LEA felt that since there wasn't a vote, that the information was stale.

Francisco

Thanked by 1laaev
  • I would have to go with securedragon, hostigation, buyvm and chvps. Chvps is privatelayer and they have 2 datacenters of their own.

Thanked by 1laaev
  • I thought hyjack meant you were saying hello to someone named Jack? :)

Anyway, every provider can have an off day. Or go from bad to worst or worst to bad. Only way to tell is to read the comments left on the main site and see what folks think abut them.