Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So many terrible VPS hosts, who are the good ones.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

So many terrible VPS hosts, who are the good ones.

derpyderpy Member
edited November 2011 in General

Hi guys, after spending the last few hours researching VPS hosts, my head hurts. It amazes me how many of these hosts go out of business. Alas, I need a LEB and I don't want to pay a huge amount. Who are the providers who are more or less guaranteed to not go bust any time soon. I know of buyVM and would go with them based on their rep but their stock system seems really stupid. Are there any other providers that are BuyVM-tier? This website could really use a directory of quality hosts as opposed to endless info about the terrible ones I think, unless I haven't found it.

Comments

• QuickWeb aren't going anywhere soon. Lowendbox.com is also running on a QuickWeb VPS. They have a current offer going, 20% off recurring, but only for the next 2 days: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/quickweb-19-10year-128mb-openvz-vps-in-phoenix/

I should disclose that I have a Quickweb one (the QW Budget VZ III), and it's great so far. Good performance, fast support.

Thanked by 2derpy glober
  • LET was with Ens... and you can see... that you should never trust in anyone...

Thanked by 2kylix Asim
  • Hostigation.

Thanked by 3Asim derpy glober
  • there used to be a best leb provider poll. have a look at the last one. http://v2.lowendtalk.com/questions/10095/top-low-end-vps-provider-poll-for-2011-q2

Thanked by 1derpy
  • AdamAdam Member
    edited November 2011

+1 for Hostigation

+1 for Kiloserve

and, instead of going through resellers of burst.net, go direct!

+1 Burst

Thanked by 3Infinity derpy glober
  • So many terrible host is because everyone came in thinking they be the next millionaire or simply VPS service is a best platform to run fly-by night scams. Many got away -_- Sad thing isnt it

• fanfan Veteran

My choice goes to ramhost and buyvm. :)

Thanked by 1derpy
  • @derpy try ramhost.us, buyvm.net, vooservers.com, hostigation, kiloserve and even burst.net (thank you @Adam; I agree ... direct purchasing from Burst is way better)

Infact I am running a very stable setup based on these lowend boxes, they may be lowend but they sure are great :)

Rule of trade is, always keep a recent backup so that you dont get a heart attack when some leb goes down AND/OR your data gets lost

Thanked by 1derpy
  • InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

These are the ones I trust, I also like that they are mostly fairly active on LET.

BuyVM (@Francisco), SecureDragon(@KuJoe), Hostigation (@miTgiB), KiloServe (@kiloserve )etc.

There are more but they are the main ones that I'd in with for a USA based VPS.

• @derpy said: I know of buyVM and would go with them based on their rep but their stock system seems really stupid.

What's wrong with our stock system? Granted yes, we frequently stay sold-out, but I'm pretty sure our clients find that preferable to us overselling just to make a few extra bucks.

• To everyone that has posted, thank you so much!

@Aldryic I need a VPS today, not next year. I'd happily fork out money for a buyVM service if it were available but it's going into someone elses pocket as long as you can't meet demand. Hope that makes sense.

• That's fair enough, but not justification to label how we sell as 'stupid' just because we're refusing to overload a node just to make sales.

Just as an FYI, we frequently release stock in small doses via our IRC community. Rather than cause a rush by posting public stock, we have 'Casualty Fridays', where I tally up the cancellations/terminations from that week, and put them up for grabs for our regulars.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I think that BuyVM always being sold out is one of the reason people love them. It's more rewarding when you get one because not everybody can.

• That's probably part of their business model. Not that they intented that it would go that way but I guess it became.... I'm pretty sure that as it's 'rare' some people just grab one when they can even if they won't use it, making overselling just selling :D

• @bobinfo said: I'm pretty sure that as it's 'rare' some people just grab one when they can even if they won't use it, making overselling just selling

How can you come to this conclusion? BuyVM has a history of X units to sell, when they are gone, they are gone, no begging, kicking, crying will get you one if they have nothing available. But how does this relate to overselling in your statement?

• bobinfobobinfo Member
    edited November 2011

@miTbiB cause they say they don't oversell.

I'm sure they do. (I ve been on one on there nodes that were oversold, I've seen it hdd wise anyway, didn't check ram or anything else) (well, you might call that overallocating, & overselling only when ressources are really bad?)

Anyway it's fine, I have nothing with overselling per se. But the fact that you have LEB customers who have just 'sleeping' boxes is great for overselling, you don't oversell, you just sell, and sell again the same slice. As long as you have IPs for free, it's a rather good business model.

That way you can have great price, and the specs will stay OK... which you couldn't do with only heavy users on the box. See what I mean?

• drboyddrboyd Member
    edited November 2011

Lots of decent VPS people out there, try to get with someone who has been around for a while.

I made the mistake of getting an eNetSouth VPS, wish I had spent more time researching providers...

• Easy mistake to make, they were reputable...

• Indeed, they seemed ok at the time. I guess with such slim margins a lot of providers are vulnerable to this sort of thing.

• @bobinfo said: I'm sure they do. (I ve been on one on there nodes that were oversold, I've seen it hdd wise anyway,

Do you have any ticket numbers I can reference? Or did you only test a single time, likely right after a sale, and make that decision? There is this annoying tendency where we'll sell a couple hundred VMs, and right after getting them everyone wants to slam DD to 'test'.

I think it's more likely you were either on a node that was undergoing maintenance, a migration, or was simply having issues at the time.

• not I/O, even though I/O has been slow at times, but the disk was full.

Didn't open a ticket, few other people had the problem on a forum (don't remember which one) and it has been solved quite fast. But well, if you did never over allocate, then how come it's possible? It isnt. This incident drawn me to this conclusion.

And it's fine, I don't expect totally dedicated ressources at that price, and overallocating, if done right, can be a good thing for both the providers and the users. (save on hardware, hence cheaper prices)

• @bobinfo said: but the disk was full

Err, what? That's physically impossible, every node aside from the 128s has almost double capacity for HDD space to account for people that might want HDD addons. And even the 128s have a good bit of breathing room.

"Solved quite fast"? Aside from bringing an entire node down to add hardware (which people would've noticed and screamed about, believe me), how exactly would we solve that "quite fast"?

Sorry, I'm gonna have to call BS on that one unless you can provide some kind of evidence.

• Well, the disk was full and it has been fixed quite fast, don't know if I have been moved to another node or not but it did happen. Call that how you want i don't care.

Glad to hear that it's not how it usually goes though. Had a pretty good service since then though.

So HDD + RAM + bandwidth are not oversold?

• Where exactly was the disk showing 'full' at? Pretty much the only place you can legitimately see that is the graphs on the control panel, immediately after a reboot or reinstall while the quota builds.

• It was impossible to write, can't remember the exact error message but it was similar to what happen when you try to write on a full disk.

df -h did show that i used 1GB and had plenty of space available.

can't give you more information it was few month ago & i didn't really care & just tought 'oh, they do oversell' :-)

• I trust buyvm, hostigation and SecureDragon, mostly because they are active here and by the looks of it, they're actually trying to provide a decent service. There are others too, but I have no experience with them.

Can't say if they're going to disappear or not tho, this is a shaky business. I trusted eNetSouth too, and look what happened :S

Thanked by 1derpy
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@bobinfo said: So HDD + RAM + bandwidth are not oversold?

BW is oversold I guess since we only buy 2Gbit of commit. If we needed more commit, though, we'd buy more :) There's no reason to sit on a full 10Gbit if we're only using 1/10th of it.

As for the space, all I can think is that it was when we had some corrupt .conf files that had no space caps on them. Some users saw a ton of space available (since they saw what was available to the whole node) and went to town. When Anthony noticed this he went to town on them :P

Francisco

• @Francisco: Ok, it was probably that :)

For the bandwidth I guess it's pretty normal to 'oversell' or to imagine that not all your customers will use 100% of their allocated bw, and it's nice because those who need that much bw can have that at a fair price :)

• @bobinfo said: who need that much bw can have that at a fair price

This is probably less true than you imagine, few need much bandwidth, the allocations are generous, on my part at least, so I do not have to account for and collect on overages. Yes, I do account for bandwidth so someone just being greedy can't goto town, but reality is, I want clients to have enough to do what they want and not worry for most normal things done with a VPS.

• rkrazyrkrazy Member
    edited November 2011

I know they've been said already but I definitely +1 Kiloserve and BuyVM from personal experience. I don't worry about my LEBs with either of them. No offense to other providers of course :) as there are a few more that I would trust with my data/$$. You just need to know how/where to find them. Starting here is a step in the right direction because as I've learned most of these folks won't steer you wrong.