Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wable Review - Good(GREAT!)/Bad/Ugly
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wable Review - Good(GREAT!)/Bad/Ugly

I signed up for service from Wable about three months ago. And recently canceled service and moved to a far less spectacular plan at another provider which fit my needs a little better. Thought I would briefly review them here.

TL/DR: Wable has great service, and is a tremendous value. I would recommend them for non production sites under CERTAIN circumstances. The tone of the TOS, as well as certain parts of it, along with their reputation for harsh treatment of customers and propensity to cancel service without warning made me wary. That, combined with the fact they charged me for services I did not ask for made me move.

1. Service from a technical standpoint:
    Perfect. 10/10. There is no way it could have been better. I live in Dallas near the server I was on so it was ridiculously fast, low latency and did everything it was supposed to. Servers spun up quickly, and installs and configuration were easy and fast.

2. Sketchy unprofessional TOS. I get it. It's funny. Lines like "do that on your home computer" give it a no nonsense feel. But it's a TOS. It is a legal document. It needs to be clear and concise. The same document outlines how they will charge me $250+$150 an hour if I am suspected of getting an IP address in their range on a spam list. I never plan on doing this... but what's serious and what's just hyperbole?

3. One day I am going through my bank account and my charges for my web hosting have mysteriously increased 30-40%. I know an email was sent about this. I am a busy man. I don't have time to read every advisory coming from every vendor I deal with, though perhaps I should. But that aside, I do not expect to arbitrarily pay for services I have not agreed to. I was not asked to opt in. I was suddenly creating backups at a fairly significant rate and paying for them.

When I came here to see if anyone had brought it up I saw that not only had it come up but one customer had asked for a refund. For this he was refunded ALL his money and summarily terminated. WTF?

The Wable position on this seemed to be something like "He wanted his money back... he not only got the backup money back but we gave him ALL his money back, how can he complain?"

Nevermind his data was just deleted with ZERO warning.

I decided at this point to let them keep the "backup" money, lol... I wasn't going to ask for a refund. I was going to shoot my data off onto another server (By the way the Dallas->Dallas transfer rates were fantastically good, lol) and walk away. Lesson learned.

The cool kids around here seem to see all this as a "feature". Keep the rabble away. This is the low end service for people who know what they are doing and like it a little rough.

LOL. Whatever floats your boat.

Sooo... when I had decided I would be able to get by with less CPU/MEM/Space for my little placeholder account it was a VERY easy decision to sign up for other service and walk away.

In the end surprise charges and a history of terminating customer accounts on a whim as well as evidence of a ridiculous attitude towards customers could not be outweighed by technically magnificent service with an interesting plan and good price.

Comments

• emdademdad Member
    edited October 2015

@cAPSLOCK said:

1. One day I am going through my bank account and my charges for my web hosting have mysteriously increased 30-40%. I know an email was sent about this. I am a busy man. I don't have time to read every advisory coming from every vendor I deal with, though perhaps I should. But that aside, I do not expect to arbitrarily pay for services I have not agreed to. I was not asked to opt in. I was suddenly creating backups at a fairly significant rate and paying for them.

I decided at this point to let them keep the "backup" money, lol... I wasn't going to ask for a refund. I was going to shoot my data off onto another server (By the way the Dallas->Dallas transfer rates were fantastically good, lol) and walk away. Lesson learned.

Did the same thing. I was surprised too. About 25% extra charge on backups. Didn't notice I'm creating that many backups. Maybe my fault , should have noticed the backup tab. Anyway, just paid of last month and delete all backups as I backed them up offline. Will probably cancel their service this month.

Thanked by 1cAPSLOCK
  • I love Wable, but they really fucked up with the backups. They should have been opt-in, not opt-out.

• Given that you've already seen there are plenty of threads about Wable's policy, I can only conclude that you've signed up just to post this thread in a feeble attempt to shame them.

Allow me to make this crystal clear to you; Gordon does not give two shits about this review or having you as a customer. You have wasted 5-10 minutes of your life.

• Your name was so promising... but just another review without CAPSLOCK -.-

Thanked by 1cAPSLOCK
  • @Nekki said:
    Given that you've already seen there are plenty of threads about Wable's policy, I can only conclude that you've signed up just to post this thread in a feeble attempt to shame them.

Allow me to make this crystal clear to you; Gordon does not give two shits about this review or having you as a customer. You have wasted 5-10 minutes of your life.

My post was not written for Gordon.

• cAPSLOCKcAPSLOCK Member
    edited October 2015

@Frecyboy said:
    Your name was so promising... but just another review without CAPSLOCK -.-

Pretty sure I turned it on when I wrote "LOL". Ooh, I did it again. ;)

• cAPSLOCK said: My post was not written for Gordon.

Who for then? You said yourself you you'd already seen the same thing posted here, and your story is no different except for some reason you just assumed Gordon would chuck you out and you ran first.

• cAPSLOCK said: Pretty sure I turned it on when I wrote "LOL". Ooh, I did it again. ;)

I usually expect an review fully written in CAPSLOCK and with as much "SCAM11!11!111eleven!!111"
    as possible in it, when the member posting it is newly registered.

• @Nekki said:
    Who for then? You said yourself you you'd already seen the same thing posted here, and your story is no different except for some reason you just assumed Gordon would chuck you out and you ran first.

For this community. For the people wanting to read reviews. This is the REVIEW section. That is my review. Good Lord, I feel like I am being trolled. Why are you acting surprised a person is posting reviews here. THAT is strange behavior.

My review wasn't even entirely negative. But if I had spent a little more time here before choosing a host I might have made a different decision. I don't regret the decisions I made. The decision to try Wable... good with it. The decision to leave... good with it. But along with some unique and well curated features come some pretty nasty baggage with Wable. I personally think rational voices outlining that is valuable.

By the way, I really don't spend any time thinking about Gordon, whoever he is, so you needn't feel threatened.

• cAPSLOCK said: Lord, I feel like I am being trolled

Maybe if you use your old account instead of creating a new one just for the review.. maybe..

• @cAPSLOCK said:
    I feel like I am being trolled

You are. Don't rise to it

Thanked by 1cAPSLOCK
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited October 2015

Thanks for the informative review. No sarcasm included.

Won't buy from them, even if I don't need support.

I don't really like magical surprises from providers.

Too many negative review about wable since I've been here.

• @Faizi said:
    something about this being a sock account... but the quote feature is not working.

No. Nope. Only signed up yesterday when doing research about where to move. Never had an account here. I would imagine my IP doesn't show up on another member here even though 800 people work under this IP.

Waiting on how my new provider pans out and I will do a second review in a few months.

It's a far more pedestrian little micro plan on a host much less infamous than Wable so I will not mention it here...

• cAPSLOCK said: Why are you acting surprised a person is posting reviews here. THAT is strange behavior.

I'm surprised that you did a runner from Wable on the basis you assumed they would shut your account down.

You review is essentially:

• Great service
    • Bad ToS
    • Charged for stuff I didn't know I was being charged for, read reviews, decide Wable would treat me like shit, so left

That last bit, to me, is strange. You've effectively given a provider a thumbs down and left because you assumed you'd get the same treatment as everyone else (possibly correctly, but who knows). This is the first review I've ever seen like that, and IMO it's a bit of a bollocks thing to do.

alaningus said: You are. Don't rise to it

Well, you're no fun.

GM2015 said: Thanks for the informative review. No sarcasm included.

What's informative about this review? No sarcasm, I'm genuinely curious.

Thanked by 1alaningus
  • cAPSLOCK said: I would imagine my IP doesn't show up on another member here

I'm prettty sure you've taken care of that.

• @Nekki said:
    That last bit, to me, is strange. You've effectively given a provider a thumbs down and left because you assumed you'd get the same treatment as everyone else (possibly correctly, but who knows). This is the first review I've ever seen like that, and IMO it's a bit of a bollocks thing to do.

Your assumption about my reason for leaving is incorrect. That may explain your confusion.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

Nekki said: That last bit, to me, is strange. You've effectively given a provider a thumbs down and left because you assumed you'd get the same treatment as everyone else (possibly correctly, but who knows). This is the first review I've ever seen like that, and IMO it's a bit of a bollocks thing to do.

OP implied: was upset about being charged on an opt-out basis, and the review about someone getting terminated (with refund) after simply requesting a refund for these opt-out charges pushed him or her over the edge (in addition to no longer needing the resources).

• cAPSLOCK said: Your assumption about my reason for leaving is incorrect. That may explain your confusion.

Please, help me to understand then, because I'm making an inference based on your words.

• @perennate said:
    OP implied: was upset about being charged on an opt-out basis, and the review about someone getting terminated (with refund) after simply requesting a refund for these opt-out charges pushed him or her over the edge.

Pretty much.

The point is, I am not gonna get bent out of shape for having a few extra bucks squeezed out of me. The refund isn't really worth the trouble to ask for it and the risk of having my site offline by surprise sort of clarifies the whole decision to move away.

I may not be concerned about getting my money back, but I sure as hell am not going to send any more of it.

Nice hand... good game.

Thanked by 1geekalot
  • I was interested in wable's powerboostable service and already knew about several complaint threads.

Even though this is another one, it sort of helped me make my decision.

I don't want to get Wabled. I think you coined that term.

Nekki said: What's informative about this review? No sarcasm, I'm genuinely curious.

Thanked by 2cAPSLOCK yomero
  • I don't understand all this criticism about a review. He wanted to share his experience, let him do that, if you don't like the review close your browser and go to sleep. The "community sheriffs" are back in town to tell us what we have to write and what not. Honestly, thank you @cAPSLOCK for taking the time to write the review, I'm sure many here appreciate it.

• DarioX said: I don't understand all this criticism about a review.

There's no criticism, I started off taking the piss (like I do in EVERY Wable thread) but then I became genuinely interested in the logic behind the OPs decision to leave, so I asked questions.

DarioX said: The "community sheriffs" are back in town to tell us what we have to write and what not.

Whatever, drama queen.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • @DarioX said:
    I don't understand all this criticism about a review. He wanted to share his experience, let him do that, if you don't like the review close your browser and go to sleep. The "community sheriffs" are back in town to tell us what we have to write and what not. Honestly, thank you cAPSLOCK for taking the time to write the review, I'm sure many here appreciate it.

Nekki is asking a real question, it's odd I know but he doesn't always have be perceived as a troll..

IMO he's a nice guy, you've just got to get past the trolling and you'll see that..

Bonus, he's a laugh.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • zedzed Member

His final sentence summarizes pretty well, did you just not read the whole thing?

• Coming soon from Incero... "Cunt Hosting", we guarantee to call you a cunt or your money back!

• LeeLee Veteran

Reetus said: Coming soon from Incero... "Cunt Hosting", we guarantee to call you a cunt or your money back!

Sounds like you were one of those cunts..

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • it is shit

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2015

tarek4web said: it is shit

Wondered how long it would take for you to show up, Suck your dummy back in and move on.

• Play nicely.

From what I can see its a legitimate review.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2015

@0xdragon said:
    Play nicely.

From what I can see its a legitimate review.

Aye. Covered the fact that backups were notified via email, just didn't like how it went down. Review seems like legitimate opinion and potentially good feedback.

@4n0nx ...ahem ;)

Thanked by 2perennate MikePT