Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you use for css and html editing? I need a wysiwyg kind of editor for free or at low cost.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What do you use for css and html editing? I need a wysiwyg kind of editor for free or at low cost.

GM2015GM2015 Member
edited October 2015 in Help

I've got debian 8 on my laptop that I work from.

Is there a wysiwyg html and css editor for free?

Sublime text editor and adobe dreamweaver came up as recommended on google.

I'm looking for something low-cost or free.

I'm learning css and html on codecademy, and I really like what they have there.

Additionally, something like koding.com has would be great. Though, this doesn't have to be web-based, it can be a desktop application as well.

Comments

• Excuse me but you're going to learn nothing by using shitty "wysiwyg" editors. It does all the work for you instead of you doing it for yourself and learning.

• i use notepag++ and adobe dreamweaver.

• Use Atom from Github with Firefox Developer Editor. wysiwyg editors will only make your learn slower.

• @JUNAID said:
    i use notepag++ and adobe dreamweaver.

Notepad++ yes, Dreamweaver hell no!

As the others mentioned, a nice editor Atom, Notepad++, Webstorm or even PHPStorm (last two not free) coupled with Firefox + Firebug or the developer edition of Firefox and that's it.

It's all you need.

• I use Coda on Mac for all my HTML, CSS and PHP coding. For more advanced PHP I prefer to use an IDE.

• Notepad++ & Dreamweaver CC for me. But I am not keen on WYSIWYG. CMS is done in WP.

• JetBrains - webstorm

Thanked by 1Rolter
  • I've realized I've got a student licence for jetbrains.com.

If you've got an active student account at a uni/college, try this link:
    http://www.jetbrains.com/student/

Thanks everyone for the comments, I will try phpstorm for now.

• Just use sublime text 3 and install package manager..I believe it is the best code editor unfortunately its not an IDE.However with package manager you can install loads of plugins...

• @noaman said:
    Just use sublime text 3 and install package manager..I believe it is the best code editor unfortunately its not an IDE.However with package manager you can install loads of plugins...

Sublime is paid, and very expensive.

• MrXMrX Member

EkaatyLinux said: Sublime is paid, and very expensive.

Sublime is free to use as long as you can live with the occasional nag screen. The trial is unlimited.

It is not worth $70, though. I would consider paying for it, if it were a lot less than that.

• Atom by github, best editor to date.

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • Netbeans with google development console.

• LeeLee Veteran

I use Sublime, I only paid $30 for it but as noted it will work for free, you just get a pop up every so often asking you to buy it.

• Sublime, brackets, notepad++, C9.io (Online IDE). Just choose what ever you prefer. My personal preference goes to Sublime text.

Just use what ever works for you.

• @Lee said:
    I use Sublime, I only paid $30 for it but as noted it will work for free, you just get a pop up every so often asking you to buy it.

After every 50 save I think. Not bother me much anyway.

Great editor, not an IDE, as @noman mentioned. But I use it to edit PHP & .sh and upload them to test server directly via filezilla.

• why was i reminded of Microsoft FrontPage :D

• +1 for Sublime Text. Free to use, but in my opinion, totally worth the $70.

• Use nano. It's a great text editor, and comes with Debian I believe (if not, Audi apt-get install nano -y)

nano is free, has been here for many years and has most functions I look for (finding, code indenting with the tab key, etc)

Thanked by 1k0nsl
  • My suggestion from a software engineers point of view would be to try the Atom editor. It's free, has plugins for w/e u want to edit, and you don't have to learn how to use unfamiliar keybindings.

The only WYSIWYG editor i can recommend for html/css is Macaw. The code generated by Macaw is good, it's easy to use, It fits into my workflow so that i can skip photoshop and visually create mockups that i can then move to my code editor of choice (vim) to iterate from there.

• Brackets, Atom, Notepad++ for windows and on debian nano.

• Espresso for html & css it's great macrabbit.com/espresso/

• SublimeText

• can try open source "Bluefish" html editor

• Notepad++ is the best tool, specially when you start from scratch.

• Sublime text all the way for HTML/CSS

• sinsin Member

Hidden_Refuge said: Excuse me but you're going to learn nothing by using shitty "wysiwyg" editors

Hey I learned a lot of HTML back in the 90's through Frontpage :)

Thanked by 1PremiumN