Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TPP Document Leaked - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TPP Document Leaked

Comments

• @singsing must be a huge MAFIAA fan or probably even is one of them... So butthurt he is.

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited October 2015

@rds100 said:
    I agree that Intellectual Property is a thing and it should be respected and protected. However i think something like 20 years is enough, after that all Intellectual Property should expire and become public domain.

So it's a thing that dissolved by itself? If it's his property, it's his property*. Using a timer to steal it makes it less of a theft?

*For the record, I do not consider IP as any kind of property.

• @deadbeef if it's his property he can take it home and lock it in a safe. But the government and legal system should stop protecting his so called "rights" on this so called "property" after 20 years.

By the way there is such expiration time even now as far as i know. It's just too long without a good reason.

• @rds100 said:
    deadbeef if it's his property he can take it home and lock it in a safe. But the government and legal system should stop protecting his so called "rights" on this so called "property" after 20 years.

Well, that doesn't vibe well with the fairytale that people pay taxes for protection of their property to Santa Clause the government.

• @deadbeef where I live people pay tax so that the gov can use it for things no one needs. Streets no one is using. To censor us with the great fucktards from GEMA... The country censors itself as far as it can. Can't listen to music from artists out of the same fucking country due to GEMA censorship.

Police and gov waste money on hunting some pirates instead of hunting pedos, rapers and etc. Fascism is politically accepted and so we have Nazi political parties. Gov too dumb to ban them after talking about it for decades.

No one wants this shit here. We had a demo today with over 250k people against this TTIP bs and all other bs with that the Americans and others come up.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
    edited October 2015

@Hidden_Refuge said:
    deadbeef where I live people pay tax so that the gov can use it for things no one needs

You're preaching to the choir, I know exactly what gov is ;)

• rds100 said: By the way there is such expiration time even now as far as i know. It's just too long without a good reason.

Yes, Austria has 50 years, Germany 70, the US 70, Russia 70 and Mexico 100.

• @William said:

Only country that matters is US in this matter.

• @William said:

Ich komme zu euch nach Österreich wenn es da besser ist.

Can you look at my ip6im application btw? :D

• @deadbeef said:

1) F*ck equality??? So you think it is ok that not everyone gets the same chance in life, that some people should be privileged simply be being lucky enough to be born a Trump instead of a 3rd world farmer? I disagree with you. We humans are better than that. We, as a society, can afford everyone equal chance to be successful. Then it is based on merit alone: you work hard, you get rich; you slack off - you die in poverty.

2) Inheritance stifles economic activity in two ways. First, by accumulating wealth you are not consuming, money is not changing hands, somebody is not making the money they could be. Secondly, the parasitic family members are not contributing to economic growth, they are not producing. If they run out of money (which many do) then society will be expected to provide for them as they don't know work.

A new system is needed. One where property taxes form the foundation of the system. Or where nobody but the government owns land, then everybody just rents it from the government. You can build a house, a factory, what have you, but ultimately if your property is not contributing to economic growth more than it is worth then you can either pay for it or give it up to someone who can make better use of it. Such society, coupled with moderate inflation, can work wonders.

• Would you rather take away Bill Gates's money, or tax his 13% return every year? I would choose the latter. Even if the rich try to avoid paying taxes, the money isn't "gone", it is invested and helps economic growth and becomes even more to tax..

@elwebmaster this ^^^^^^ It sounds like you do not live in a very social country where education is free, everyone has healthcare and will always get an apartment + food paid for by the government

• @elwebmaster said:
    1) F*ck equality???

Absolutely, unless you're some kind of anti-humanitarian monster.

2) First, by accumulating wealth you are not consuming, money is not changing hands, somebody is not making the money they could be.

You fail to understand the difference between money and wealth.

Secondly, the parasitic family members are not contributing to economic growth, they are not producing.

Why the f*ck would they produce anything more than for subsistence if they can't accumulate to later consume without producing?

There is no economic growth without previous accumulation. That's why it's called capitalism and not productionalism. It requires capital and capital comes from accumulation.

A new system is needed.

Repeats time honored communistic nonsense.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

4n0nx said: Would you rather take away Bill Gates's money, or tax his 13% return every year?

That is the wrong way to look at the problem.
    Bill gates has every right to use his money they way he wants it, including burning it, but only AFTER he paid due tax for it. If google sets up an offshore where it pays "consultancy" or "patents" fees equal to their profit, then that is not their money, they should be confiscated, not even taxed.
    The pizza shop at the corner cannot do that and it is not right for it to pay the money Google stashed away to keep the healthcare going.
    UK boasts about their financial sector, City all the way, but then it comes a day when they say they cannot afford healthcare anymore, or not at the same level, because the banks needed more money this year as they could not afford the bonuses and golden parachutes for the imbecile bosses which fixed the markets and gave away the money for worthless american "subprimes" or even some of their own.
    Yes, accumulation, yes, incentives, yes, wealth, but not from fraud and tax fraud, there must be an even playfield, otherwise the entrepreneurs of today will not make it, because they are suffocated by the big ones which control the government, no matter if good or bad, no matter if they bring money to the budgets or are just a drag on them.

• @Maonique talking about individuals (not companies), the paying no taxes thing is probably mostly because when the value of your investment rises, you have not made profit (only when you sell the shares). So there is nothing to tax.

Everyone can do that, even you and the pizza shop at the corner. The money is still invested and helps the economy.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

Hidden_Refuge said: @singsing must be a huge MAFIAA fan or probably even is one of them... So butthurt he is.

Not really, I'm more against intellectual dishonesty. It's one thing to just say "we think author's life plus 20 years is a better balance than author's life plus 70 years", I'd say fine that's an opinion and you're entitled to it (especially if you can back it up with policy arguments). But suggesting that there is a right to free access to literary works X years after the author dies, independently of the law, is fairly deceptive. It is only the law allocates rights in the first place. If you want to argue for shorter copyright terms, argue based on policy, not based on "rights".

• @singsing said:
    It is only the law allocates rights in the first place.

You have wonderfully summed up the whole political philosophy called fascism in one succinct sentence. Very well done (I'm saying this seriously).

Thanked by 1teknolaiz
  • deadbeef said: You have wonderfully summed up the whole political philosophy called fascism in one succinct sentence. Very well done (I'm saying this seriously).

And which non-"fascist" country that has a strong culture of extra-judicial rights do you live in?

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited October 2015

You couldn't even legally sing happy birthday in public until recently. No one knows The Beatles anymore, because they are not played on the radio anymore and you are not allowed to use their music without coughing up kingly sums.

Instead we get shit like this https://youtube.com/watch?v=2WPCLda_erI

Who wouldn't agree that this is bad? It's like the creators are forcing people to forget about them, by not allowing them to play their music for free... (even when you have purchased the song...)

• 4n0nx said: Instead we get shit like this

duh, that is pretty good - just overused.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @singsing said:
    And which non-"fascist" country that has a strong culture of extra-judicial rights do you live in?

That's what they used to say about slavery. What country that has no slaves to plow the fields do you live in? Well, sucks for them. And while we can forgive Aristotle who argued on the legitimacy of "natural slavery" due to his other works, what reason exactly do you have for the future generations to forgive your folly?

• singsing said: And which non-"fascist" country that has a strong culture of extra-judicial rights do you live in?

Every country where they value "the word of god" more than common sense.

And in terms of copyright.. probably 95% of the people in countries with strict copyright laws just pirate it. When it's made illegal they just use a VPN. No one cares.

• deadbeef said: That's what they used to say about slavery. What country that has no slaves to plow the fields do you live in?

You mean slavery in the U.S.? Well, England was a good example of a perfectly fine country that got along without slavery at that time.

Now you give me an example of a country that gets a long fine while having extra-judicial "rights" (and therefore not being "fascist" by your definition) -- otherwise you really haven't got a point here.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

IP rights MUST come into public domain sooner rather than later.
    The speed of change is growing every year, global market adopts a work much faster and the revenue comes much faster than 100 years ago, when they come into public domain are incompatible with current technology, for example, in case of patents.
    Humanity evolved on the basis of sharing and teaching science, technology, art. It is absolutely legit for the author to be compensated, but not until the work has been rendered obsolete, as humans we are all indebted to humanity, did anyone pay the guy which invented the wheel long ago?
    We can invent things today due to other people which invented other things, not to mention those which invented thinking in the first place.
    Regarding the works of art, yeah, that is a different story, however, the authors of those also benefited from the works of many others, they due to the artistic current at that time, to the founders of it, the technology of the time, what would literature be without guttemberg?
    I think 20 years is way too much, even, you can have translated and spread a book in a few days, maybe weeks, collect the rights of multiple editions, then you can go to conferences and juries, musicians can do concerts, if they are successful, even if they give the work for free, they will still live well.
    But it is not the artist we are talking about here, right? It is the IP industry, the patent trolls buying litigation rights, the unscrupulous record company which forces abysmal clauses on artists, they must be protected from those, not from the people which appreciate their work and would go to concerts, for example.

TL:DR As always, the essence is lost, the IP rights purpose is to encourage creation and reward it, while today only marketing and lobbying for more penalties and money in the laws are rewarded, not the actual artists, inventors, etc. This means the system is flawed and more draconic fines to go to the IP industry which cries foul when making billions profits every year more than last will not help society, only some profiteers with enough money to inpose laws on the citizens and almost slavery conditions for creators.

Thanked by 14n0nx
    edited October 2015

@singsing said:
    Nou mean slavery in the U.S.? Well, England was a good example of a perfectly fine country that got along without slavery at that time.

Omg, I'm talking to a US person. That kinda explains it, although it can't be just the shitty education in this case. Ehm, hate to tell you, human history is thousands years old and global. Yes, there was life before the United States existed. England a stranger to slavery? The country that owned almost 3/4 of the globe at its imperialistic peak? Amazing...

Now you give me an example of a country that gets a long fine while having extra-judicial "rights" (and therefore not being "fascist" by your definition) -- otherwise you really haven't got a point here.

Can you even read? Here, I'll quote it in yellow for you.

That's what they used to say about slavery. What country that has no slaves to plow the fields do you live in? Well, sucks for them. And while we can forgive Aristotle who argued on the legitimacy of "natural slavery" due to his other works, what reason exactly do you have for the future generations to forgive your folly?

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member
    edited October 2015

singsing said: You mean slavery in the U.S.? Well, England was a good example of a perfectly fine country that got along without slavery at that time.

Is that a joke?? "oh no they didn't have slaves, they just sold them"

Any country where the majority of people decides to turn against the (official) "law". This is very prominent in Islam, where people go to Islamic judges instead of a "real" one (which to them is not "real").

• @Maounique said:
    IP rights forceful monopolies

Fixed it for you.

Thanked by 1Maounique
    edited October 2015

@4n0nx said:
    Any country where the majority of people decides to turn against the (official) "law". This is very prominent in Islam, where people go to Islamic judges instead of a "real" one (which to them is not "real").

The guy hears slaves and can only think "southern cotton field Negroes". You're venturing too ambitiously by mentioning Islamic social systems - best I give him is to think "terrorists who live in caves". :D

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • singsingsingsing Member
    edited October 2015

Sounds like well-adjusted non-fascist countries indeed.

• singsing said: Can't comment on anything related to the "I" word from U.S.

But it happens in the U.S.,too -_-

• @singsing said:
    Can't comment on anything related to the "I" word from U.S.

@4n0nx: See? No idea and can't "google" fast enough :)

Thanked by 14n0nx