Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PPTP still useful for many things. - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PPTP still useful for many things.

Comments

• sman said: I....googled it....tehee! I guess that makes me a security expert around here.

It makes you a hypocrite. Give william access to your own VPN server. What do you mean you don't dare??

sman said: You have to give the IP and describe the steps so that someone can reproduce it. I am also assuming all these outfits don't already have vulnerable servers for other reasons.

Several links posted here have already accurately explained it. William is just going to do exactly that. How can you not understand that? But I guess it is no surprise after reading your previous posts.

Also, read this again: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1316369/#Comment_1316369

YOU derailed your thread by acting butthurt and deleting your original post.

• teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited October 2015

@4n0nx said:
    YOU derailed your thread by acting butthurt and deleting your original post.

He needs to fill out http://www.scribd.com/doc/7771818/Butt-Hurt-Report-Form (I guess - only back here for the fun)

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • Maybe the problem is that he isn't using any or not enough lube/vaseline? So of course he is sooooooooooo frikkin "butt hurt".

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • AmitzAmitz Member
    edited October 2015

BASEMENT

And furthermore - @sman: stop poking @netomx. He is one of the nicest guys around here and has deserved something better than you pissing him off. I personally come over and spank your little ass with a large wet trout if you do not comply.

Thanked by 34n0nx deadbeef jar
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited October 2015

@Nekki said:
    WHAT SORT OF SHITHOUSERY IS THIS WHERE IS THE OP!!!!!????!!!!
    @sman said:
    Oh those are scary sounding words. "Nightmare....fails...antique crap". You have google links and copy/paste techy sounding stuff and everything. Clearly you are a security expert with firsthand experience and not just another keyboard commando.

WHAT IS THIS KEYBOARD COMMANDO YOU SPEAK OF??? @Nekki

• sman said: You have to give the IP and describe the steps so that someone can reproduce it. I am also assuming all these outfits don't already have vulnerable servers for other reasons. After all they are using PPTP (gasp!) and according to @netomx that means they all do not know what they are doing and don't know how to google and find out about SoftEther.

I am NOT going criminal here to prove a point, which it would be with the laws of my country without consent of the other party. Thus you have to provide your own VPN server as target. This is not 100% legal either (as we have very complicated laws about software designed for such things, then there are even more complicated laws about others offering such services like cloud cracking) but i'm willing to risk it, along with the 30$ for, just as notice, 100% guarantee of a cracked exchange.

Now, i'd like to propose a reverse dare - We install 5 year old OVPN, SSTP, IPSEC and PPTP implementations, running on their native OSs (SSTP/PPTP on Windows, IPSEC on a router in HW - Cisco or alike, OVPN on Linux) and then try to crack each of them, i can nearly 100% guarantee you that regardless of timeframe we allow PPTP will be the first one cracked, by far.

This - again as i said before - does not mean PPTP is inherently insecure but it means older implementations are, which simply is not the case with the other protocols, which in turn provides higher security. Going back to cost vs. profit calculation it is, again, a no brainer considering HW implementations in CPUs and higher performance per W.

• https://gyazo.com/a6ce507a5b36dcd61010c19224932a5d

what the next config step after installer, i learning how to setup openvz from Nyr source.

Please help

• smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@William said:
    .....does not mean PPTP is inherently insecure but it means older implementations are

Lol....that is about the only thing you said worth reposting and it's not even that accurate. Current implementations of PPTP are actually inherently insecure....on a LAN. Can't even bring yourself to admit you CAN'T crack PPTP.

You need to be able to capture packets first and you can't do that unless you can sniff the interface and you can't do that unless you are on the LAN and you can't even do that if there IS no LAN. I was waiting for one of you clowns to figure that out and admit it but seems even that was too much to hope for.

• @sman said:
    My work here is done.

It's fucking well not, explain the basement thing you bastard.

Thanked by 1drazilox
  • sman said: You need to be able to capture packets first and you can't do that unless you can sniff the interface and you can't do that unless you are on the LAN

So, basically, the NSA must be on your LAN to see your traffic?

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited October 2015

sman said: Take your crystal ball and go away.

@sman

One does not address @netomx in such inappropriate manner.

Don't be rude, this is a nice community, plus you won't get anywhere in life by just being rude, anyway.

Now back on topic:

PPTP is broken security-wise for quite a while, if network security is not Your concern You may use it, otherwise - not.

• The security flaws in PPTP has been known for awhile now, having said that, it still has its uses

• use pptp to connect intranet corporate haha

• Depending on your situation and requirements it can still have a use, even though it's broken. Setting up PPTP is really easy compared to the others. One quick example is that you can have a relatively fast way to setup a VPN for non-critical situations, like gaming ? Or when you don't care about NSA but only about layer 2 sniffers in public/untrusted locations such as somebodys house or cafe.

• smansman Member
    edited October 2015

HAHAHA...so now that I have destroyed all the keyboard commando's arguments because they don't even understand TCP/IP much less security, they start in with the big brother nonsense....LOL!

• smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@shell said:
    use pptp to connect intranet corporate haha

You have to hack the layer 2 switching first.....from inside the LAN. So best of luck. Maybe if this was 1995 and they were using hubs instead of intelligent switches, vlans, etc., or they are using $50 Dlink switches throughout the corp you might have a shot...lol.

• B

• A

• S

• E

• M

• E

• N

• T

• Just helping out.

Thanked by 1VPNsh
  • @sman said:
    now that I have destroyed all the keyboard commando's arguments

Uh huh...

• @Amitz cheers guy, I got a 10 minute spam ban then had to get on a tube train, you saved my blushes.

• Always there, mate.

Thanked by 1Nekki
  • Pretty funny how anyone would recommend a protocol that does not do PFS in 2015 anyway, must have some issue....

Thanked by 14n0nx