Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PPTP still useful for many things. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

PPTP still useful for many things.

Comments

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

FlamesRunner said: OpenVPN runs great on a 64MB box.

I think he means network-wise. OpenVPN is known to have more overhead than PPTP due to the level of encryption (not sure about the other protocols, I'm sure they are on par with OpenVPN) but this is expected.

I looked around for some comparison tests but no luck. Would love to see some data on this though.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@KuJoe said:
    I looked around for some comparison tests but no luck. Would love to see some data on this though.

It is weird. I can max my home connection (10mbps) with OpenVPN just fine. I can test with my other connection (200mbps) if you want

• wcypierre said: Shadowsocks then, China's favourite tool :)

Well, nobody read my thread, but the development of this one is probably dead. Or at least the source code isn't public anymore.

Thanked by 2GStanley netomx
  • @sman said:
    Lol...if you wanted to help you would have tried to answer the original question. Not derail the thread into yet another poorly informed paranoid security shit show. As such you become fair game as far as I'm concerned.

So far I've heard PPTP is good because 'it's easy to setup' and misinformation from your lack of knowledge of its flaws. You come here like a petulant child with a one word question & moan when anyone disagrees with you.

Beyond stupid to defend PPTP's mainstream use in 2015.

Fair game? Are you a scientologist?

Run along little one.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • @yomero said:
    Well, nobody read my thread, but the development of this one is probably dead. Or at least the source code isn't public anymore.

There are a lot of folks in Mainland, and those 'informed' were quite aware of the programmer's situation.

I have been seeing a lot flock to GetLantern, still using ShadowSocks aes-256-cfb here.

Thanked by 2netomx yomero

@yomero said:

I did, but I think it is working ATM

Thanked by 1yomero
  • smansman Member
    edited October 2015

Even the responses to the new derailed subject of configurability, encryption overhead, and encryption security are pathetic.

How about someone explain to me how PPTP is not secure. Not because everyone just knows that or whatever. You are all security experts apparently so explain to me how you can break in to my PPtP VPN session and get my VPN username/password or whatever. Step by step. Not just because....MATH...NUMBERS...BOOGA BOOGA...SCARY SECURITY WORDS. I want to see an of explain of exactly what to do and how long it will take and the equipment involved and what needs to be known ahead of time....you know....like you actually had first hand experience to back up your advise.

Also what do you have to gain from that time investment to watch my VPN server traffic? It's just internet traffic that I want to come from a different IP. What should I be concerned about security wise that I wouldn't be if I just used my regular ISP IP address?

Also to captain keyboard commando " just ./install.sh and then do this and then do that....so simple"....HAHAHAHA...I needed a good laugh today.

• Another ninja edit.

Went from explain to me with articles, etc to:

so explain to me how you can break in to my PPtP VPN session and get my VPN username/password or whatever. Step by step. Not just because....MATH...NUMBERS...BOOGA BOOGA...SCARY SECURITY WORDS. I want to see an of explain of exactly what to do and how long it will take and the equipment involved and what needs to be known ahead of time....you know....like you actually had first hand experience to back up your advise.

So you realized we could easily explain and show you articles, so you want to know the ETA, equipment needed and first hand knowledge isntead, knowing you'd be shot down with knowledge?

I don't think any of us can reach dumb down math numbers and 'security words' to your thick shit of a skull level.

Piss off you little shit & Google it, start here: https://www.cloudcracker.com/blog/2012/07/29/cracking-ms-chap-v2/

• smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@GStanley said:
    Another ninja edit.

Went from explain to me with articles, etc to:

Yes, that is EXACTLY what I asked for. Friggin google links from keyboard commandos who think they are security experts...because that totally is what my point was (rolls eyes)...lol.

@sman said:
    Yes, that is EXACTLY what I asked for. Friggin google links from keyboard commandos who think they are security experts...because that totally is what my point was (rolls eyes)...lol.

Are you @zerocool ?

• alexvolkalexvolk Member
    edited October 2015

@sman said:

How old are you?

• smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@FlamesRunner said:
    Liar. OpenVPN runs great on a 64MB box.

You can set the port OpenVPN will run on, and it couldn't be easier with @Nyr's script: >https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install

I think I will need to smother this post in FAIL sauce. Was not talking about server memory used. I was talking about encryption overhead which should have been obvious. Also port used has NOTHING to do with GRE (ie PPTP passthrough) protocol which uses IP addresses with no ports.

You were referring to OpenVPN on the port thing so I will only lightly baste you in FAIL sauce for that one. However you clearly don't understand GRE to even think I was talking about ports, so combined with the other one you are literally dripping in it.

The GRE protocol thing is actually the biggest disadvantage of pptp over OpenVPN imho but not one of you keyboard commandos pointed it out. Only "ARGLE BARGLE...NOT SECURE...GOOGLE..ARGLE BARGLE".

• Currently still using PPTP as my VPN.. due it's easy to install and setup..
    Also most of the device can use it out of the box.

• @Wira_Soenaryo said:
    Currently still using PPTP as my VPN.. due it's easy to install and setup..
    Also most of the device can use it out of the box.

Could not have said it better myself.

• Generally use pptp for speed where i can max out my connection. When the network is restricted etc openvpn is my choice because i could run it on a tcp over tcp. Hence it always works but the speeds arent that good obviously.

• I still don't understand the stuff about basements.

• @sman said:
    I will only lightly baste you in FAIL sauce for that one. However you clearly don't understand GRE to even think I was talking about ports, so combined with the other one you are literally dripping in it.

Enjoy your PPTP. Shadowsocks give full speed too from mothership with no overhead, even has an optimization guide of sysctl tweaks for dummies like you who think PPTP out of the box is the shining star.

I am now realizing one cannot fight stupid except with stupid. On that note, while I only lightly basted your sister in FAIL sauce, your mom was dripping in it by the end of the night.

• Yeah, still using a bat for hunting. It's easy to carve and carry. And most of the mammoth die when hit.

• GStanley said: I am now realizing one cannot fight stupid except with stupid. On that note, while I only lightly basted your sister in FAIL sauce, your mom was dripping in it by the end of the night.

@Nekki, beat this.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @Nekki said:
    I still don't understand the stuff about basements.

But anyways i am happy to see your keyboard works now.

• @ahmiq said:
    But anyways i am happy to see your keyboard works now

I don't have a keyboard?

• @0xdragon said:
    Nekki, beat this.

To even try would be an insult to the original.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2015

PPTP uses a control channel over TCP and a GRE tunnel operating to encapsulate PPP packets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Tunneling_Protocol

It might be "easy to setup", but this shit is way too convoluted under the hood, it's a nightmare to allow PPTP through firewalls, and it often fails if an ISP uses certain types of NAT (i.e. where you can't even do anything). Really, PPTP is an antique crap that has to go. If you have to use something desktop OSes support out of the box, then just pick L2TP. That one is way nicer, doing everything over the same UDP link.

(And if you aren't constrained by "herp-derp-windows-supports-this", then pick http://tinc-vpn.org/, the automatic full-mesh capability alone makes your PPTP, L2TP and even OpenVPN look like tools of a caveman...)

Thanked by 2teknolaiz GStanley
  • teknolaizteknolaiz Member
    edited October 2015

@netomx said:
    Last suggestion: Install Softether on your VPS (farly easy, 2-3 minutes using linc0ln guide), and voila, you have access with SSTP (builtin since W7, and MacOS and Android have it, too), L2TP (Android, Windows, Mac), OpenVPN (all), and Softether. I tried PPTP in the past and it was a pain to configure and easily blocked.

SoftEther VPN is the thing! It's brilliant to have something like that. 4 VPNs at once and a very easy setup. Totally agree with you netomx :). I'm using it myself and donated a spare server to the project.

@sman

Even Microsoft warns people not to use PPTP: http://www.nextofwindows.com/microsoft-warns-that-vpn-via-pptp-with-ms-chap-v2-is-not-secure & https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/security/2743314.aspx

Haven't looked any further. So especially for you as a Windows user PPTP is quite the dangerous threat.

Thanked by 2netomx GStanley
  • smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@rm_ said:
    It might be "easy to setup", but this shit is way too convoluted under the hood, it's a nightmare to allow PPTP through firewalls, and it often fails if an ISP uses certain types of NAT (i.e. where you can't even do anything). Really, PPTP is an antique crap that has to go. If you have to use something desktop OSes support out of the box, then just pick L2TP. That one is way nicer, doing everything over the same UDP link.

(And if you aren't constrained by "herp-derp-windows-supports-this", then pick http://tinc-vpn.org/, the automatic full-mesh capability alone makes your PPTP, L2TP and even OpenVPN look like tools of a caveman...)

Oh those are scary sounding words. "Nightmare....fails...antique crap". You have google links and copy/paste techy sounding stuff and everything. Clearly you are a security expert with firsthand experience and not just another keyboard commando.

• smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@Hidden_Refuge said:
    Haven't looked any further. So especially for you as a Windows user PPTP is quite the dangerous threat.

Ok fair enough. Walk me throught what is 'dangerous' about it. You provided links which is step one. Walk me throught the meat and potatoes. Where you actually disseminate the info and convert it into the real world doing part. Walk me through an actual hack and just how easy it is. Step by step.

Explain what is 'dangerous' about me using a PPTP VPN basically just to change my IP location and maybe get past port restrictions. Also for things like testing connectivity from different physical locations etc. I won't bore you with the gory details. It's just mundane real world practical stuff.

How is that 'dangerous'? What will happen exactly that is so 'dangerous'? Don't be shy...it's just 'Us' here.

• Please explain the basement thing.

Thanked by 1EphemeralEclipse
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2015

@sman said:
    Explain what is 'dangerous' about me using a PPTP VPN basically just to change my IP location and maybe get past port restrictions. Also for things like testing connectivity from different physical locations etc. I won't bore you with the gory details. It's just mundane real world practical stuff.

Your request is not unfair. Poorly designed or theoretically vulnerable really doesn't add up to much unless someone can reasonably compromise you directly (not indirectly or through methods that would compromise the use of no VPN in the same way).

There's theoretically vulnerable and then there's "Someone is going to have control of this box by next week because of what I've installed."

I don't use PPTP, but now you've got me interested in your questions.

• smansman Member
    edited October 2015

@Jar said:
    There's theoretically vulnerable and then there's "Someone is going to have control of this box by next week because of what I've installed."

Now you are talking. Someone who spent a few seconds thinking it through rather than going directly from eyeballs to keyboard. Imagine if that was the norm rather than the exception.

• Basement?