Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's here. Proxmox 4.0 FINAL
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Comments

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

LXC is the future

• Wondering the impact to the existing OpenVZ users.

• Sounds good. LXC has some pretty amazing features.

• @Zappie said:
    LXC is the future

Didn't they mention LXC probably isn't the right thing still for end users due to some security issues and openvz being more secure?

• ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

Corey said: Didn't they mention LXC probably isn't the right thing still for end users due to some security issues and openvz being more secure?

>

I did not see that, only thing I know is a few stackoverflow posts dated back to 2013 thats mention that they think LXC is not production ready.

Still super excited about the progression of LXC into the real world

• Other than the kernel being old, what's the problem of OpenVZ?

• deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited October 2015

Any known hosts using it already with LXC?

• Just had a taste. Looks like LXC disk activity is monitored in this version.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • This is looking very promising. Likely going to give this a try in the future!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Having a play with it now. I've never used Proxmox before and I'm loving this!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Full IPv6 support in this release too, neat.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Ive been playing with proxmox and lxc and seems pretty nice

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

netomx said: lxc and seems pretty nice

I've been playing with LXC for the past 6 months. It is a very good container platform, having the whole Proxmox interface infront of it just makes it that much easier.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @trewq said:

What's the learning curve on LXC coming from OpenVZ? I've been running Proxmox pretty exclusively for a year or so but ended up doing 99% of stuff via command line for OpenVZ as I picked it up.

Just as I get really familiar with it, something new comes out.. typical.

• @mikeyur said:
    Just as I get really familiar with it, something new comes out.. typical.

LXC is really simple, and you'll pick it up immediately if you've ever used Docker before.

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

Got quite a few boxes on Proxmox 3.4 in production... Don't really want to mess with this, but may get a dev box to play with it a little.

• @agoldenberg said:
    Got quite a few boxes on Proxmox 3.4 in production... Don't really want to mess with this, but may get a dev box to play with it a little.

+1 , so do I :-)

• agoldenberg said: Got quite a few boxes on Proxmox 3.4 in production... Don't really want to mess with this, but may get a dev box to play with it a little.

Just install Proxmox 4.0 in a KVM since 3.4 supports nesting and you are all set to play ;)

Thanked by 1tridinebandim
  • Can 3.4 be upgraded?

• Yes, as per:

http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Upgrade_from_3.x_to_4.0

@Nomad said:
    Can 3.4 be upgraded?

Thanked by 2tridinebandim Nomad
  • agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

@nomad Yep it can be upgraded but it's a lengthy task to complete if you have any number of VMs.

Thanked by 2tridinebandim Nomad
  • Does this mean Proxmox will also work on top of Ubuntu?

• mikeyur said: What's the learning curve on LXC coming from OpenVZ? I've been running Proxmox pretty exclusively for a year or so but ended up doing 99% of stuff via command line for OpenVZ as I picked it up.

Pretty simple.

mpkossen said: Does this mean Proxmox will also work on top of Ubuntu?

Not without modifications.

• William said: Not without modifications.

This statement in itself doesn't make sense. Ubuntu is Debian on steroids. Since LXC doesn't require a special kernel to work and KVM doesn't either, it makes sense to say it could work.

What modifications would be required?

• I going to setup a dev box for test the performance and more.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

But does it also work on Wheezy? Or do i need upgrade to 8 ?

• @Infinity580 said:
    But does it also work on Wheezy? Or do i need upgrade to 8 ?

Documentation says Jessie, which I can only guess it due to the kernel it comes with.

• I had a thread about that. The TL;DR is that it took me 10 seconds to set up LXC, if I had known what I was doing. With Proxmox it magically didn't work. Now I use LXC on Ubuntu over command line and it's sssooooo easy . :D Bye bye control panels ~

(before that I used Proxmox and OpenVZ)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Corey said:
    Didn't they mention LXC probably isn't the right thing still for end users due to some security issues and openvz being more secure?

Yes.

That is in the process of changing, however.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Are any providers planning to upgrade out of interest, don't think we will bother just yet though I'd love me some decent IPv6 support.