Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prefix only going over NTT?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Prefix only going over NTT?

NexHostNexHost Member
edited October 2015 in General

Hi,

For several months. I have told my provider that my routes on this prefix 104.255.227.0/24 is entirely NTT inbound. when it should be a mixture of other providers. I have seen MTRs from clients and tested it from hyperspin. (23 Locations Total)

My provider is stating that the configuration is correct. and that there is nothing wrong. How ever I'm going to have to renumber my clients to get some of them Access to more then just 1 Inbound route. Anyone on LET Provide some insight to what exactly is going wrong here.

Comments

• qpsqps Member, Host Rep

If the provider is definitely announcing the prefix to other providers, it could be that NTT is the only one that is allowing that prefix through prefix filters... meaning the other providers may be filtering that prefix announcement.

• Assuming your ISP is Global Frag then just confirm which networks they are advertising the prefix to.

It seems to be only advertised to Blacklotus.

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited October 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    Assuming your ISP is Global Frag then just confirm which networks they are advertising the prefix to.

It seems to be only advertised to Blacklotus.

They are claiming everything is functioning correctly and setup correctly. But for months I have never saw anything other then NTT. and if I use another Prefix I can see several different inbound routes by checking against other providers looking glass.

If I use another prefix say 107.179.62.0/25 I get different routes. but through my /24 it's Just NTT Inbound.

• Sounds like a bad filter on their side, get them to check their filters

Thanked by 1NexHost
  • @MarkTurner said:
    Sounds like a bad filter on their side, get them to check their filters

I already have and Globalfrag are stating that it's correct. so they are refusing to fix it. and are leaving it broken.

• MarkTurner said: Sounds like a bad filter on their side, get them to check their filters

Yea, looks like of their upstreams only NTT whitelisted the prefix.

Thanked by 1NexHost
  • NexHostNexHost Member
    edited October 2015

@William said:

[21:11:54] GlobalFrag.com - Kazah: And like I said I checked it more than 5 times for you
     [21:12:02] GlobalFrag.com - Kazah: It's the same as the others m....

• Start with Global Frag and get them to confirm their filters are correct, they can just copy you the router advertisements for your route and see where its being advertised to.

If it only shows its being exported to NTT then they need to address it, if its being advertised then its time for them to contact their upstreams.

Global Frag's upstreams are PCCW, Black Lotus and CTNG, its making it to Black Lotus but Black Lotus is not advertising it to their upstreams except NTT. Again suggests Black Lotus need to sort out their filters or their upstream's filters

Global Frag are probably intentionally filtering you to CTNG but PCCW is dirt cheap so they should be happy to advertise your routes there. Again get proof that they are advertising the route to PCCW and then get them to notify PCCW to update their filters.

This is always the headache when advertising third party routes, you need to notify so many upstreams to update their filters, some do it instantly, others say they'll do it and don't and others you have to chase hard.

• Really odd how such an easy task is neglected for months, maybe Kazah/Global Frag can shed some light on what's wrong

• @jmckeag12 said:
    They are claiming everything is functioning correctly and setup correctly.

That's a very vague statement that could mean any number of things. So dialing it back to the beginning, have they explicitly said this network advertisement is supposed to be sent to multiple peers?

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited October 2015

@Microlinux said:
    That's a very vague statement that could mean any number of things. So dialing it back to the beginning, have they explicitly said this network advertisement is supposed to be sent to multiple peers?

Yes

There is 3 providers announced. engress is going through more then 1 route without a problem. I was told what gain would they make from giving me just 1 upstream.

Just for the record. I do enjoy the service great network and they go beyond. I am just trying to get some assistance.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

@jmckeag12 said:
    Hi,

For several months. I have told my provider that my routes on this prefix >104.255.227.0/24 is entirely NTT inbound. when it should be a mixture of other ?>providers. I have seen MTRs from clients and tested it from hyperspin. (23 Locations >Total)

My provider is stating that the configuration is correct. and that there is nothing wrong. >How ever I'm going to have to renumber my clients to get some of them Access to more >then just 1 Inbound route. Anyone on LET Provide some insight to what exactly is going >wrong here.

Lookup here;
    http://bgp.he.net/AS46573

You find 3 providers on the AS. Go to each upstream provider's looking glass, e.g.
    blacklotus
    ntt (no need as you go in via them)
    pccw (lets check this)

Ideally you do a BGP path/announcement lookup but PCCW doesn't support that so just do a traceroute and you will see;

You can now be 99% sure that the prefix is NOT announced over PCCW, because PCCW wouldn't leave it's own network (and incur costs) normally.

Basically your provider is either lying, or they simply don't realize that their upstream hasn't correctly accepted the announcements.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • NexHostNexHost Member
    edited October 2015

Incero said: You can now be 99% sure that the prefix is NOT announced over PCCW, because PCCW wouldn't leave it's own network (and incur costs) normally.

The routes I should have are GTT,NTT,Level 3 not PCCW.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

GTT and Level 3 are not on that AS; http://bgp.he.net/AS46573

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited October 2015

@Incero said:
    GTT and Level 3 are not on that AS; http://bgp.he.net/AS46573

Other subnets are working fine. Check your PM sent you another IP. it's just this subnet. There is Level 3 and GTT.

• StealthyHostingStealthyHosting Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2015

You are correct that Gtt/nlayer seems to learn the prefix from NTT and not Black Lotus/Level3. However this is the same on both prefixes provided.

AS-PATH: AS path: 3257 2914 32421 46573
    AS-PATH Translation: TISCALI-BACKBONE NTT-COMMUNICATIONS-2914 BLCC
    Active Path (*)
    Local Preference: 101
    MED: 0
    IGP cost: 0
    Last updated: 14:35:47
    Learned from: lo0.cr2.fra1.de.as4436.gtt.net (198.47.126.240)
    Protocol Nexthop: ae5-162.fra29.ip4.gtt.net (141.136.101.117)

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited October 2015
     [06:01:32] GlobalFrag.com - Kazah: i showed you proof
     [06:01:36] GlobalFrag.com - Kazah: nothing else I can do
     [06:01:37] GlobalFrag.com - Kazah: sorry
     [06:01:43] GlobalFrag.com - Kazah: Level 3 says it looks fine

Still no resolution nothing that Globalfrag can do. so I don't know what to do.

• jmckeag12 said: Still no resolution nothing that Globalfrag can do. so I don't know what to do.

If you can't get it resolved, then you should move provider.

• @MarkTurner said:

Yes but it is not that easy considering that options are Limited in the Location I am in.

• jmckeag12 said: Yes but it is not that easy considering that options are Limited in the Location I am in.

Coresite LA2? Plenty of players there

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited October 2015

@MarkTurner said:

Yes but for Filtering / Price Range there is limited options.

Sharktech seems to be a great option waiting on a quote from them.

Also I'm locked in a contract must mention that.

• PM your requirements, we've got some options in LA. It won't be in our facility as we are out of power, but we have space in Coresite which we are moving our colo customers to.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited October 2015

jmckeag12 said: [06:01:43] GlobalFrag.com - Kazah: Level 3 says it looks fine

From the Level 3 LG:

Send them those screenshots and ask them if they consider that fine given that Level 3 should have a direct route to this subnet

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Send them those screenshots and ask them if they consider that fine given that Level 3 should have a direct route to this subnet

I have asked them and shown them that there is no direct route. and they won't do anything further. and worse of all I am locked in a contract.

• jmckeag12 said: I have asked them and shown them that there is no direct route. and they won't do anything furthe

In that case maybe send them a link to this thread?

• NexHostNexHost Member
    edited October 2015

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    In that case maybe send them a link to this thread?

They have the link to this thread. and this is all I get from them now. that there is more then 1 upstream provider on this prefix. and that there is nothing wrong. and that I'm to check the engress traffic as that will show more then 1 route. but originally I was told to check hyperspin. So I did 23 Locations and all are routed through NTT only.

• Yea, pretty insane what they say - The issue is very clear, they should have resolved it already AND provided an apology....

• The net engineers at GlobalFrags are a complete joke

• Still no resolution as of yet.

• jmckeag12 said: I have asked them and shown them that there is no direct route. and they won't do anything further. and worse of all I am locked in a contract.

Your contract is very likely void if they cannot provide the service as advertised as this is a major degradation in quality - If they told you the blend before and now back off from it i would simply stop to pay them, if they keep your equipment you don't even go to a lawyer but simply to police directly.

This discussion has been closed.