Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

50-100% VPS price increases in 2012? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

50-100% VPS price increases in 2012?

2»

Comments

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited November 2011

(169821000+142408000)/1024/1024 = 297.764778

odd how the upload+download is almost 300mbps

• @miTgiB said: Does anyone other than end users have this concern? I mean really?

Well if you slap 30-40 people on one box, I imagine throughput would be at least of some concern.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: odd how the upload+download is almost 300mbps

300mbits is in each direction, I'm getting 1.1MB/s downloading from the colo right now to my home. Which is my max wire speed at home.

• @Kairus said: Well if you slap 30-40 people on one box, I imagine throughput would be at least of some concern.

Not at all considering all of LA combined is using 80mbit out of a possible 1gbit. I'm curious how you think about this and formulate your view, not many use use max port speed for more then a quick burst, if that.

• @miTgiB said: Not at all considering all of LA combined is using 80mbit out of a possible 1gbit. I'm curious how you think about this and formulate your view, not many use use max port speed for more then a quick burst, if that.

Just guessing how much bandwidth a full VPS node would use, pure speculation.

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited November 2011

@miTgiB said: 300mbits is in each direction, I'm getting 1.1MB/s downloading from the colo right now to my home. Which is my max wire speed at home.

I expected it to be 300mbps each way, which is why I found it odd that it was almost 300mbps with both directions added up. Anyway, network speeds are better now than they were before the maintenance (9-10MB/s down from cachefly and ~3-5MB/s up to securedragon)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited November 2011

@Kairus said: Just guessing how much bandwidth a full VPS node would use, pure speculation.

Well, here is the largest node in LA for the past month

http://snip.so/U3xY.png

And all of LA

http://snip.so/U3A4.png

• Interesting miTgiB, that's not that much. How many VPS nodes do you have in LA?

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited November 2011

I think this may also cause a stock shortage on Xen and KVM VPS servers. VPS node deployment costs have jumped up by ALOT. OpenVZ might still stay cheap, not really sure as those can be oversold by quite a bit.

Hardest hit will probably be co-located providers who purchase their own hardware.

This will be the first time in years that we'll be "out of stock" for an extended period. I figure other co-located providers will have to re-budget future deployments and that will lead to less stock available for Xen and KVM.

I wouldn't be surprised if Xen/KVM offers will be greatly reduced and/or higher in price in 2012.

The offset for OpenVZ may be lower performance as providers add more users to current nodes.

I'm not sure how the "leased dedicated server" VPS providers will be affected.

• It also depends when the production will start again, I heard that some production started (the motors from the japanese company) so who knows..

Right now the cost for a server did go up, but not that much... If you have to set up two or three servers & can find a not-too-bad deal on the hard drives it can be fine. If you want to add 100 servers it's probably more painful.

• @kiloserve said: I figure other co-located providers will have to re-budget future deployments and that will lead to less stock available for Xen and KVM.

We're pretty much just going to wait it out unless a very nice deal presents itself. Our builds tend to pay for themselves within a month or two anyways... worst case scenario, if we have to we'll take the gruel and write off the cost of the HDDs rather than try to pass it to our clients.

• @Aldryic Got me curious. Do you take the loss for the first month? I ask because the accountants and I discussed this at some length and we stretch out the depreciation over 3 years.

• I'm assuming SSDs aren't raising in price, so maybe offer more SSD deals?

• @drmike Well, to put it honestly, we don't have a specific planned outcome in terms of finance. We typically have our bills paid for the year by February or March, so the rest of the year is solid black for us. Aye, if we did decide to do a build now, it would be from existing funds; we would gripe about paying so much for the HDDs, but it would only be a 'loss' because we could've potentially paid less.

Thanked by 1drmike
  • @Aldryic said: We're pretty much just going to wait it out unless a very nice deal presents itself. Our builds tend to pay for themselves within a month or two anyways... worst case scenario, if we have to we'll take the gruel and write off the cost of the HDDs rather than try to pass it to our clients.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how other providers would cope with the crazy inflated drive costs.

Our newer builds use 12 or 16 hard drives so this price hike has added thousands to our deployment cost. I'd be joining the deadpool if I ate those costs :)

I've heard rumors that we're in store for another hard drive price hike as this year's hard drive inventory runs. I'll wait it out to the end of the year but will most likely increase new order prices next year.

The other option is to reduce spindle count but I don't think we're there yet...I'd rather charge a bit more and keep up the performance.

• @kiloserve said: Our newer builds use 12 or 16 hard drives so this price hike has added thousands to our deployment cost. I'd be joining the deadpool if I ate those costs :)

12/16 drives... RAID 10?

• kiloservekiloserve Member
    edited November 2011

@bobinfo said: RAID 10?

Yes, in order to keep up the speeds, it has to be RAID10.

We do use both RAID5 and RAID6 too but only on backup systems.

As you can probably tell, this hard drive spike costs us ALOT more than it used to :)

• Wow, speed must be impressive on such a big RAID 10. What write speed can you achieve? Do you use simple SATA drives?

Anyway I guess that you might need a big case/chassis to fit all those drives...

• @drmike said: we stretch out the depreciation over 3 years.

How do you pass an audit then since computers are on a 60 month depreciation schedule (I don't do the taxes, accounts do) last I checked, according to the IRS.

• @kiloserve said: The other option is to reduce spindle count

You left out the option of using pulls, if you are persistent, pulls are a great option to save money with 50-75% of the original warranty remaining.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2011

We contacted our normal supplier and while they have a decent stock and won't limit us, they did raise their prices on hard drives by about $50 per drive. That being said we found a non-local supplier that has hard drives for about $25 cheaper than we were paying before the shortage... OUCH!

• You guys in the USA are lucky, you get very good deals on hardware there. In Europe everything costs more :(

If it makes you feel any better, the euro is worth more than the dollar...

• fanfan Veteran

Well, I've heard something from my friend who's a retailer that the price will start to drop shortly and will be finally back normal in Q2, 2012. I'm not going to buy any harddrives before that stablizes. :)

@fan said: Well, I've heard something from my friend who's a retailer that the price will start to drop shortly and will be finally back normal in Q2, 2012. I'm not going to buy any harddrives before that stablizes. :)

Your friend is repeating the same thing everybody else is saying. ;)

• @KuJoe said: If it makes you feel any better, the euro is worth more than the dollar...

Yep but the salary are usualy lower... depends the country in EU though.

• I thought the 60 months (or whatever it is since I don't have the docs here in front of me) was for desktops. Most of my servers are now 4+ years old so....

We also only go down to $350 instead of zeroing out.

We do use a weird account system that the IRS folks have questioned but allowed. Something like we take off at the last day of the first month while the IRS says we're supposed to take off at the first day of the second month. That was the big thing.