Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does Scaleway's AMRv7 compare to VPS at the same price point? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How does Scaleway's AMRv7 compare to VPS at the same price point?

Comments

• @programer There was an automatic installer for centos, if I remember well. But why to use an autoinstaller when there are so many extremely detailed documents, there? it is as easy as copy - paste instructions. Why not to be sure when you install a control panel, that all of your stuff will rely on it?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @jvnadr said:
    programer I found it, it is for debian, not for centos

https://github.com/dclardy64/ISPConfig-3-Debian-Installer

Don't work on jessie

• vfuse said: At runabove you can get much better price/performance, just not the 200mbps unmetered.

Perhaps but is the price comparable? runabove is likely 2x, 3x more expensive

• programerprogramer Member
    edited September 2015

@jvnadr said:
    programer There was an automatic installer for centos, if I remember well. But why to use an autoinstaller when there are so many extremely detailed documents, there? it is as easy as copy - paste instructions. Why not to be sure when you install a control panel, that all of your stuff will rely on it?

Time required to do is the issue, its my hobby kind of work not mainstream work. So when time permits I do this for learning.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited September 2015

EkaatyLinux said: You can always use some type of load balancing and add more instances if your site is getting out of resources (horizontal scaling). This is better than just make a hardware upgrade (vertical scaling) in many ways, notably better redundancy, resiliency and error recovery.

That's total bunk. Anytime you need to add anything to your site, you have to make sure it scales horizontally? I thought the whole point of living in 2015 was that hardware is way, way cheaper than engineering-hours. It's true that if you're relying on vertical scaling you have nowhere to go past a high-end i7. But, if you're starting on scaleway (lolwut lmao) you have more than an order of magnitude to go before you top out on vertical scaling.

Of course, if your site does get wildly popular, you will have to scale horizontally, no question. But the engineering costs of that shouldn't be put in before you've got a single user.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2015

EkaatyLinux said: Don't work on jessie

No, that's only for 7. And I'm sure that I had seen somewhere sometime a centos 6 installer, but I cannot remember when/where...

• programer said: Time required to do is the issue, its my hobby kind of work not mainstream work. So when time permits I do this for learning.

If you do it for learning, then, don't use auto installer but the tutorials on howtoforge. The time you will spend for each installation is ~10 minutes and you will do manually all the steps, that's a great way to learn how things are working beneath the surface.

Thanked by 2netomx niknar1900
  • @EkaatyLinux said:
    Don't work on jessie

Official community installer claims to work on Jessie still
    (not tested by me)

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ispconfig-install-script-debian/

• I tried using auto installer in scaleway server it is not 10 min installation it took nearly an hour finally the server hangs and network disconnected its not installed network too slow

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited September 2015

programer said: I tried using auto installer in scaleway server it is not 10 min installation it took nearly an hour finally the server hangs and network disconnected its not installed network too slow

The autoinstaller is not for armhf platform. If you want to set it up to scalewaqy, you should do it manually as you may have to install/compile manually some elements.
    Autoinstaller is for x86-x64 platforms, it is tested there and working.
    As of scaleway's speed, if you manually install elements, then, you will need no more than ~10 minutes, I did it myself for testing, avoiding the install of some un-needed for me elements.
    And the delay is not because of a slow network, as you say, but because probably auti installer is trying to resolve dependencies or grab things from slow repositories.

TL'DR Do not use auto installer, do it by yourself. Linux server is not android play in your mobile. It is a very powerful platform and need knowledge

Thanked by 1programer
  • When compiling on arm be sure to pass the correct -j flag for the number of compile threads you wish to use as the default is to only compile with 1 thread or core. So to compile with all 4 cpus you would add -j4 for 4 threads to take advantage of all cores when compiling. By using default it will take quite a while to compile things on a single 1.3ghz core.

My 2 cents.

Cheers

Thanked by 2jvnadr aglodek
  • Will try to install today

• @singsing said:
    Of course, if your site does get wildly popular, you will have to scale horizontally, no question. But the engineering costs of that shouldn't be put in before you've got a single user.

Not really. Nginx + HaProxy + Docker will made it pretty easy to scale up horizontally with no downtime. Anyway, as I said, Scaleway isn't focusing on the small budget market.

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • I think the huge 2GB of RAM is a big deal, could smooth things.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • EkaatyLinux said: >Not really. Nginx + HaProxy + Docker will made it pretty easy to scale up horizontally with no downtime.

Wait, what part of that stack handles captcha verification, account registrations, sending verification emails, logins, btsi, btsi? All of that dynamic stuff must run on a distributed database to scale horizontally for real, right? That's do-able but it is far from push-button right now.

• @singsing said:
    Wait, what part of that stack handles captcha verification, account registrations, sending verification emails, logins, btsi, btsi? All of that dynamic stuff must run on a distributed database to scale horizontally for real, right? That's do-able but it is far from push-button right now.

Not "push-button" but not rocket science too.

Thanked by 2deadbeef netomx
  • Has anyone here hands-on experience using Scaleway or other ARM-based system (like C1 for example) as a platform for an MX (Postfix/Dovecot flavor)? Any pointers on how to set things up to take full advantage of all 4 threads/cores (especially for SMTP)? Any pitfalls running such a setup on ARM as opposed to mainstream VPS platforms?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

aglodek said: platform for an MX (Postfix/Dovecot flavor)? Any pointers on how to set things up to take full advantage of all 4 threads/cores (especially for SMTP)?

Do you expect many people pump out so much mail that it trashes a single CPU core (likely thousands E-mails per second)? Or do you expect the scum such as the spammers who actually do, to be nice guys and write up a helpful post for you? Most importantly, do you expect Scaleway to be spam-friendly for you?

• @aglodek said:

SMTP (postfix) would be the least CPU intensive thing... Dovecot might need far more than that.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @rm_ said: Do you expect many people pump out so much mail that it trashes a single CPU core (likely thousands E-mails per second)? Or do you expect the scum such as the spammers who actually do, to be nice guys and write up a helpful post for you? Most importantly, do you expect Scaleway to be spam-friendly for you?

Whoa! WHOA! Ask an innocent, and uninformed - it seems - question related to SMTP on LET, get immediately attacked by a spam hating fanatic foaming at the mouth. Sigh! Oh well, guess that's the world we live in now.

• @smallet said: SMTP (postfix) would be the least CPU intensive thing... Dovecot might need far more than that.

I stand corrected, thank you. In that case, my question stands with respect to Dovecot and any other related apps comprising a modern MX. I'm talking about a private, SME-sized business MX, running a few domains and tens of mailboxes at most, hence no need for a DB backend.

• smalletsmallet Member
    edited September 2015

Umm, depends. No antivirus? No heavy management panel? Then sure, would run rather well, with just just 512mb ram even.

I don't know if amavis is CPU hungry, but it pretty ram hungry (the 2G will be more than enough)

(Maybe something like mailcow, which seems like a script that hooks stuff together). Afaik, Ispconfig can be made to work in scaleway.

• @smallet said:

Virtualmin as CP to begin with (very lightweight). Plus custom add-on script or two later on. Webmail that runs w/o a DB backend. Clamav and spamassassin as options, depending on each client's requirements (not using any of that myself, so not sure if they will run w/o DB backend?). Haven't had time to test mailcow yet, but it is something I'm keeping an eye on, of course :)

• @singsing said:

Microservices + Enterprise Service Bus

• @aglodek said:
    Virtualmin as CP to begin with (very lightweight). Plus custom add-on script or two later on. Webmail that runs w/o a DB backend. Clamav and spamassassin as options, depending on each client's requirements (not using any of that myself, so not sure if they will run w/o DB backend?). Haven't had time to test mailcow yet, but it is something I'm keeping an eye on, of course :)

This would work pretty well. Mail servers aren't CPU hungry, but if you will be providing hundreds of mail per second you should isolate the volume where the operations will be executed so the intense disk IO don't trash your performance.

Dovecot is light on CPU and will perform some operations on forked process. Memory could be a problem if you are running the mail serverserver with many users through a database and av/antispam. Prefer LDAP.

Clamav and spamassassin are two CPU hogs sometimes but they two are optimized for multicore/multiprocessor. The Linux Kernel will do the core balancing between the threads/process automatically.

Basically these little machines will run without problems.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @EkaatyLinux said:

Currently running such a setup with ~10 domains and ~50 mailbox using a 512MB DO droplet with memory use at ~50%, which is not surprising since it's handling ~100 emails per hour, counting incoming spam ;) No webmail and clamav and spamassassin disabled, though. Good to hear those are optimized for multicore and linux kernel will do balancing as a matter of course :) Time to try installing everything, compatible with ARM. Any pointers where to start? ARM-wise, I'm a complete noob. I gather apt-get postfix... isn't exactly going to cut it…?

• TrafficTraffic Member
    edited September 2015

Are there any virtualization/containerization packages built for ARMv7l?

• @Traffic said:
    Are there any virtualization/containerization packages built for ARMv7l?

AFAIK you have at least LXC, Docker, qemu (KVM), rkt, OpenVZ

I don't know if XEN and VMware are built for armhf already :/

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • What is the CPU frequency of those ARMv7 cores anyway?

Do you think is it OK to simulate the server using my smartphone as a server? It's a Qualcomm APQ8064T Snapdragon 600.