Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does Scaleway's AMRv7 compare to VPS at the same price point?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How does Scaleway's AMRv7 compare to VPS at the same price point?

sandrosandro Member
edited September 2015 in General

Hello,
I saw some benchmarks about SW compared to DigitalOcean 1-core plan and SW was significantly slower. However I can't quit put it in prospective for web apps. How important is CPU performance for mysql, php e nginx? Seems to be (being SW 10x slower) the big advantage is having dedicated resources.
I was wondering if having a VPS with 1 dedicated core with good providers like ramnode that don't usually oversell and 1GB of RAM could ultimately give you a better performance (being Intel) at even a lower price.

What are you thoughts?

Comments

• Scaleway's main selling points would be:

• Unmetered 200mbit network (100in/100out)

• Use as an ARM build/test server

• Dedicated server

• Dedicated resources, free firewall and security groups

• Reasonably cheap

• Flexible (User defined storage and S3 like storage)

They are clearly not trying to compete on specifications, as they're not so beefy. Their main selling point lies in the flexibility in their offering, which is multiple small machines that can be spun up at a moment's notice, with custom storage amounts and type (HDD and SSD), plus a firewall. That's a lot for the price they ask for.

Thanked by 3sandro deadbeef netomx
  • With Scaleway you can lock the cores 24/7 with vps your app can work several times faster for shorter time, it depends what suits you better...

• coolice said: With Scaleway you can lock the cores 24/7

but 4 of those cores probably do not perform as well as 1 intel (e3 or e5 for that case) core.

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

At runabove you can get much better price/performance, just not the 200mbps unmetered.

• @vfuse said:
    At runabove you can get much better price/performance, just not the 200mbps unmetered.

agreed

• TarZZ92 said: but 4 of those cores probably do not perform as well as 1 intel (e3 or e5 for that case) core.

That's what I would I like to know from people who tested a lot.

• programerprogramer Member
    edited September 2015

Also not many softwares are compatible with ARM processors.

• programer said: Also not many softwares are compatible with ARM processors.

Source?

The vast majority of Debian packages are complied for ARM (https://www.debian.org/ports/arm/).

Thanked by 2scaveney ucxo
  • @rajprakash said:
    The vast majority of Debian packages are complied for ARM (https://www.debian.org/ports/arm/).

Darn, bet me too it. Couldn't find the post I remember reading about this, however if memory serves me correctly the number of Debian packages that run on ARM is around the 95% percent mark.

• @programer said:
    Also not many softwares are compatible with ARM processors.

Actually there is a fucking ton of ports/backports for armel/armelfp/armhf plataforms. It's very hard to find a mainstream software used at the LE(x) community that doesn't support ARM today.

@TarZZ92 said:
    but 4 of those cores probably do not perform as well as 1 intel (e3 or e5 for that case) core.

If your workload is optimized for parallel processing, these four cores will outperform a VPS with only one monstrous core available. It's all about your workload.

@coolice said:
    With Scaleway you can lock the cores 24/7 with vps your app can work several times faster for shorter time, it depends what suits you better...

It's a very fair point. People tend to point the look towards big raw numbers on one big machine. Today, as ARM processors get better (and more energy efficient), for the tasks that you can parallelize, you will prefer a big number of small machines that will run cooler an cheaper on energy costs than two or three big machines that need a big cooling central and a entire energy facility to run. And Scaleway is about that. Scaleway isn't about vertical scalability, but horizontal. And a fucking huge and fast horizontal scalability.

The small us do have benefits like pointed out before on this topic, but they aren't targeting users like me that only have one machine running and occasionally spawn another two or three. They are looking forward for big companies that have large datasets that will run hundreds of these little beasts to process data (medical, scientific, financial data that can be parallelized).

Thanked by 2deadbeef jvnadr
  • @rajprakash said:

Ok could you tell me a control panel which works fine with ARM processor, I was searching it for about last fifteen days. Any control panel that is free to use would be better.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Webmin

• 15 days search - nothing.

25 minutes on LET - 2 solutions.

:)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

deadbeef said: 25 minutes on LET - 2 solutions.

Why do you still need a panel anyway? I thought you were more knowledgeable than that.

• @rm_ said:
    Why do you still need a panel anyway? I thought you were more knowledgeable than that.

Ehm, I'm not the one asking for the panel... :)

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @programer said:
    Ok could you tell me a control panel which works fine with ARM processor, I was searching it for about last fifteen days. Any control panel that is free to use would be better.

ISPConfig, Webmin, Interworx, Ajenti, Froxlor and (maybe?) Cockpit (because I don't remember if Fedora 22 image is available at Scaleway).

• sandrosandro Member
    edited September 2015

The end user (me) doesn't really care about power efficiency, I care about performance. So you say that if you use all the cores you could get better performance than 1 big Intel core? I tried to benchmark these and arm is always slower. The question is, how does it affect web apps?

• @sandro said:
    So you say that if you use all the cores you could get better performance than 1 big Intel core? I tried to benchmark these and arm is always slower.

Read again what he said. IF your application benefits from parallelization. Otherwise Intel wins.

• @deadbeef said:

Sorry... what does it mean optimize for parallelization in practice applications?

• @sandro said:
    Sorry... what does it mean optimize for parallelization in practice applications?

For example, for databases that can use multiple cores, if the CPU required per repsonse isn't abysmal (i.e. a badly designed schema by the user), then having more cores give you faster responses.

The thing with this is that you don't really know until you test with your actual use case. Too many variables and today testing is very cheap to do.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @deadbeef said:

In general, process where CPU is the bottleneck will benefit from parallelization. When you have, for example, a huge chunk of data (think of Big Data apps), making calculations on top of this with only one core will take far more than slicing the data in blocks and using multiple cores to process it. Obviously this is a general assertion and you have to take a look at variables like: algorithm type and complexity, sync/assync parallel processing, etc...

Web apps in general don't benefit from multiple cores because they aren't written to, for multiple causes (programming language backward compatibility, uncertainty of hardware plataform, etc). Some databases and frameworks can do that besides the implementation of the actual software but this is very uncommon.

Thanked by 2mehargags deadbeef
  • @EkaatyLinux said:
    Web apps in general don't benefit from multiple cores because they aren't written to, for multiple causes (programming language backward compatibility, uncertainty of hardware plataform, etc). Some databases and frameworks can do that besides the implementation of the actual software but this is very uncommon.

Seems like apart from databases there's no real advantage. Maybe the real advantage is different applications using different cores?

• ARM CPUs are horribly slow, but you probably don't have a website that would require more.

Thanked by 1niknar1900
  • @sandro said:
    Seems like apart from databases there's no real advantage. Maybe the real advantage is different applications using different cores?

Yes, you can set dedicated cores for different applications, ex. run a php-fpm pool at a specific core.

@4n0nx said:
    ARM CPUs are horribly slow, but you probably don't have a website that would require more.

You can always use some type of load balancing and add more instances if your site is getting out of resources (horizontal scaling). This is better than just make a hardware upgrade (vertical scaling) in many ways, notably better redundancy, resiliency and error recovery.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • programerprogramer Member
    edited September 2015

Where is the proper manual to install ISPconfig? Scaleway had added an instant app image for Virtualmin already.

• Transit to Verizon and charter is about 500KBs regardless of time to west coast. I would say that as a server I got great speeds but downloading from it sucked.

• programer said: Where is the proper manual to install ISPconfig?

http://www.ispconfig.org/page/en/documentation.html

• In this lot of documents are there and I know this page, is there any auto installer scripts available for ISPconfig installation like Vestacp have?

• @programer said:
    In this lot of documents are there and I know this page, is there any auto installer scripts available for ISPconfig installation like Vestacp have?

https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/ispconfig-install-script-debian/

Thanked by 1netomx